SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 25, 2011, 01:52 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,896 Posts
Byrdman is bang-on with his statement, that is what I have done. My 2-year old 4-ch fan-fold-foam Blu Baby is still going strong, and she doesn't owe me anything. Had a couple of bad nose-in "doinks", but nothing a 1/2 hour or so won't fix. You can't do that with a balsa airplane. I had not picked up an Exacto blade in 30+ years and she went together well.

I would consider myself a novice; I can keep it under control, take off and do some simple maneouvers, but still am challenged on landing. Still need to get a lot more stick time to work on downwind leg, approach, power management, flare and touchdown.

My plan is to move on to balsa kits, but realize I still need to get certified in my club (at my pace that may take another year) and get more flying experience. I may also need to get me a foamie ARF to finish-up getting my certification.

The new kits look very nice, with precision laser cutting and interlocking parts. This is a long-way from the kits I used to build in the 70s. I just hope there remains enough of a market for kits.
ruff1 is offline Find More Posts by ruff1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2011, 03:33 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,380 Posts
Lets' see...Your having a great time and having fun with the hobby, spending time with your daughter...I'd say your successful! That's the main thing right? It looks like you're doing well on your builds and it sounds as though the bug has got ya. I say Rock On my friend!
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:00 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,143 Posts
For anybody that may be still subscribed to this thread. I thought you may like to see where this free fall down the rabit hole that we call RC aircraft has taken me.

My fleet.:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1698784

Blue skies!
cwolfe is offline Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:10 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolfe View Post
For anybody that may be still subscribed to this thread. I thought you may like to see where this free fall down the rabit hole that we call RC aircraft has taken me.

My fleet.:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1698784

Blue skies!
Wow, you have come a long way in a short time! If you are still enjoying building, you should check out my next building clinic.

More info here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1733597

We will be building from plans and it looks like you are already up for a new challenge. Would love to have you join in the fun.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,143 Posts
Thanks Frank,

It's been a fun and busy year. The Yellow J-3 was my last build. I've been working on my flying skills more lately, but am ready to start building again. Pat Trittle has a 44" Tiger Moth short kit that may be my next build.

Happy Flying

CW
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:38 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Good job cwolfe. Hopefully I'll be where you are in a year
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:30 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,149 Posts
You did it the hard way and succeeded. That has to be respected. Don't make the mistake of comparing yourself to anybody else to determine your success. You are successful when you are having fun with whatever you're doing in the hobby.

Even if you're NOT having fun with something, recognizing that and fixing it means you're a success. Lots of success comes from overcoming short-term failures. Most satisfaction does.

You're doing greater than I am at the moment! Thumbs up to you.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,143 Posts
Thank you guys,

I have a ways to go as far as my flyiing and building skills are concerned, but I'm having a blast.

There have been times after a crash has totalled one of my planes that I've said. "That's it! I'm never going to get this right."and have almost walked away. It doesn't take long for that thought to go away though. It's great fun.

I recently joined a club near my house. My flying skills jumped to the next level immediatly. I guess just being around those more experienced pilots helps.

Happy Flying!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:06 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Anytime you get fed up and feel you have to walk away, do it. At least for a bit, they always pass at least for me. We build, we fly it's what we do. In some cases failure is just as much a part of it as anything else. We also learn from those failures and get better be it building or flying.

As others have said measure your success from the enjoyment you receive. If that outweighs the upset from failures, I'd say you are successful.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:04 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
Anytime you get fed up and feel you have to walk away, do it. At least for a bit, they always pass at least for me. We build, we fly it's what we do. In some cases failure is just as much a part of it as anything else. We also learn from those failures and get better be it building or flying.

As others have said measure your success from the enjoyment you receive. If that outweighs the upset from failures, I'd say you are successful.
Thanks. You all are so supportive.

I'm hoping to maiden my Eflite T-34 this weekend. The smaller one in my fleet is a HobbyKing one. The first went down due to signal failure.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:23 AM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Quote:
Thank you guys,

I have a ways to go as far as my flyiing and building skills are concerned, but I'm having a blast.

There have been times after a crash has totalled one of my planes that I've said. "That's it! I'm never going to get this right."and have almost walked away. It doesn't take long for that thought to go away though. It's great fun.

I recently joined a club near my house. My flying skills jumped to the next level immediatly. I guess just being around those more experienced pilots helps.

Happy Flying!
I think you just started listening better

Quite a year wouldn't ya say?
srt8madness is online now Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8madness View Post

I think you just started listening better

Quite a year wouldn't ya say?
We've come a long way. It's been a great time.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,143 Posts
So, last year it was a couple of foamies under the tree. A FMS 800mm T-28 and a SIG JN4 Jenny.

I actually ended up going through two T-28 airframes learning to fly. I still fly the Jenny from time to time.

This year it's a 50" PT-17 Stearman ARF all balsa ply build and all the electronics to go in it.

I've also finally started that 24" Guillows Thomas Morse conversion.

I'm lovin' it!

Merry Christmas all!
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:27 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,380 Posts
Quote:
So, last year it was a couple of foamies under the tree. A FMS 800mm T-28 and a SIG JN4 Jenny.

I actually ended up going through two T-28 airframes learning to fly. I still fly the Jenny from time to time.

This year it's a 50" PT-17 Stearman ARF all balsa ply build and all the electronics to go in it.

I've also finally started that 24" Guillows Thomas Morse conversion.

I'm lovin' it!

Merry Christmas all!
Can't wait to see both! I'm lovin' it too! Merry Christmas bro!
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Oct 17, 2013, 03:35 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,143 Posts
It's been a while. It's been nearly two years since I started in this hobby. I'm about to maiden this bad boy in the next week or so.