HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:25 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Anderson View Post
Lightspeeddud,
I'm going to call a masseuse to ask how much it would cost to have her massage the camber out of my wing. I need some help to make sure I get it fixed right the first time.

Do I need to get a full wing massage or just the tips?

Is it worth paying more for the Al Gore Special? (Is it called the Happy Owner Ending now?)

I'm sure the person that asked if the wing could be fixed in the other thread, and was told "no", would like some help with how you fixed yours.
Steve,

That was really funny!!!!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:05 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,432 Posts
Flew one with battery in recommended location and had no trouble controling her but not real happy with how she felt.

Flew one with battery moved all the way forward and difference was substantial! Nice straight tracking and smooth handling for the aerobatics that I and the other pilot performed. Really liked her even with the different looking wing. Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:18 AM
SURREY!!! UK
Joined Apr 2010
197 Posts
hey guys just one more question.... I have a e flite park 480 so should I get this or e flite extra 260 or Su-26m. remember I am a noooooooob. lol.

thanks
Mr Bloppy is offline Find More Posts by Mr Bloppy
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:00 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
I wouldn't recommend this plane as a first, second or even, possibly, third plane for most people. It is just too fast, easy to loose orientation, instantly responsive and needs care on landing. Having said this, it is the same for all the foamie Extra, Edge, MX style planes etc. In inexperienced hands, you will first loose the undercarraige and eventually drill it in.

The question for me then is the PZ Edge a better buy that similar other brand foamies? PZ have had a good run with many of their recent planes (Habu, Trojan, P51 etc) and the answer for these planes is a resounding yes. For the PZ Edge (in my opinion) it is not so clear cut and I might go back to another brand when the time comes to replace it.
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
Old Jul 27, 2010, 02:27 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2010
39 Posts
Would the extra 300's flight characteristics in any way be comparable to the warbird line up from PZ eg: Corsair, P51 et al?....just curious as phoenix flight sim does'nt have the extra 300 in it's lineup yet....thx
bruins is offline Find More Posts by bruins
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:03 PM
Columbus, OH
Joined Jul 2007
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins View Post
Would the extra 300's flight characteristics in any way be comparable to the warbird line up from PZ eg: Corsair, P51 et al?....just curious as phoenix flight sim does'nt have the extra 300 in it's lineup yet....thx
I don't think it really compares to the others in the PZ line up. I think you will find this one the most responsive and powerful. Set up on the factory settings the 300 can be tame, but relative to the others I don't think it is very forgiving.

Wing issues aside, I think it is the most difficult to fly out of the current line up. Just depends what you are looking for.
Scooter04 is offline Find More Posts by Scooter04
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:17 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2010
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter04 View Post
I don't think it really compares to the others in the PZ line up. I think you will find this one the most responsive and powerful. Set up on the factory settings the 300 can be tame, but relative to the others I don't think it is very forgiving.

Wing issues aside, I think it is the most difficult to fly out of the current line up. Just depends what you are looking for.
Oh ok thanks! , I'll stick with the T28 for the time being then.
bruins is offline Find More Posts by bruins
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:10 PM
Mines faster than your's
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2007
728 Posts
Well, seems like from this thread, there are at least two whole people who like this plane. Maybe HH wil sell 2.5 million of these and we may have enuff people who like it to ride in the car pool lane. awesome. Oh and I havent made up my mind yet on the actual plane itself if I like it or not.....
Texasredrider is offline Find More Posts by Texasredrider
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:55 PM
Columbus, OH
Joined Jul 2007
161 Posts
Texas - It's not like I think it's the best plane in the world, but I can't take the constant complaining. Two things I don't like since the first time I flew it: It snaps under too much elevator and it seems to balloon when flying sometimes. When you come across the field at 10' and 3/4 throttle, it moves up and down sometimes like the wing is hunting. It is, however, much happier balanced correctly. I flew it tail heavy at first and the benefits didn't out weigh the squirrelly habits to me. For a foamy, it is pretty sensitive to set-up.

I like that it's foam, has parts available if I want them, looks great, it's a quick repair, has great power, will do big maneuvers and hold lines well for foam, and it's not like anything else I have. I have too much stuff as it is, but this is just a little different and I can throw some batteries through it in the field behind my house and get my flying fix.

I think it's relative to what else you have and how you like to fly. I couldn't care less if you have to land it faster than other PZ planes. Not surprising as it's not the lightest plane for it's size or wing area.

Sure I would take new wings, I just don't think it's the end of the world and I have many other things to do in life. Once I got my set up sorted out for my taste, I have liked it more. By set up I mean everything, throws, triple rates, expo levels on each rate, cg with the different batteries I have, etc. Haven't seen any excessive draw on my watt meter with the batteries and prop I am using.

The longer your into this, the less you pay attention to manuals stating cg's and throws. It's a starting point, but after that I adjust for my taste regardless of what the manufacturer says.

A few years back Aeroworks put out an edge that was coming out about 2 lbs heavier than advertised with the lightest nitro setups. You know what they did . . . raised the weight in the manual and on the box. Lifes too short.
Last edited by Scooter04; Jul 28, 2010 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:16 AM
Columbus, OH
Joined Jul 2007
161 Posts
Bruins - not trying to talk you out of it, thats just my opinion. Hopefully you can see it fly in person and talk to the owner. If you can make that Trojan do exactly what you want it to consistently and your not crashing or tearing it up, then this might be fine for you. Your the only one that can sort that out. If your not sure, just try to be more proficient with the Trojan for a bit longer. Do nice round loops and enter and exit at the same height. Do stall turns and follow the same up and down lines with just a rotation at the top. Try doing slower rolls and feed in rudder each time, try doing rolling circles. Practice spot landing and not just letting it land where it wants. Practice using rudder in a crosswind. Those are all pretty straight forward things that will make you better regardless of the next plane. Just do some of this boring stuff for a few minutes each battery and then fly the crap out of it however you want! This hobby is suppose to be fun.

There sure is no shortage of people telling you what to do on the internet.
Old Aug 02, 2010, 12:38 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Mar 2010
197 Posts
I bought mine when it first came out and I love it! Well, I haven't really done anything with it other than look at it in the box but I still love it!

Now if you really want to hear a gripe, ask me about my EFlite P-40. I spent an extraordinary amount of time (for me) to get it trimmed and balanced correctly. Finally had time to toss it into the air. It flew like it was on rails. I was ecstatic!

Then about 4 or 5mins into my flight I lost control of it. It just would NOT respond to my inputs and dove into the ground. It was probably only 50ft up and 200 yds away.

Get to the plane, which is split in half, and there is my AR6110e - slowly blinking. New EFlite servos, receiver, ESC, etc.

Put me in such a foul mood I haven't been out flying in a week. Maybe tomorrow would be a good time to maiden the 300.
dhunter19 is offline Find More Posts by dhunter19
Old Aug 02, 2010, 02:25 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
I love my Extra 300. Running an AR6200 in it with flaperons set up. The stall speed was perfectly acceptable to me running stock, but the flaperons make it that much sweeter.

With the CG at 3 inches, it flies perfectly IMHO. Knife edge flying is about as effortless as you could ask for. Takes a hair of elevator input to fly inverted. Plenty of power and 8 minute flights
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Aug 02, 2010, 03:16 PM
Columbus, OH
Joined Jul 2007
161 Posts
FireyFate - how much flaperon are you using or in other words how far are they dropping approximately?

I never mess with them, but thought maybe I would give it a try. I put my ailerons on separate channels but it's just how I do all my planes so I can make adjustments to each servo using the radio.

Thanks
Old Aug 02, 2010, 05:09 PM
WHAT U LOOKIN AT!
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
2,656 Posts
I like my extra above half throttle, under that it is junk, tip stalls, falls like a lead balloon.

I flipped my wings and now it has good flight!
jaskel is offline Find More Posts by jaskel
Old Aug 02, 2010, 05:13 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter04 View Post
FireyFate - how much flaperon are you using or in other words how far are they dropping approximately?
I have 2 different flap positions programmed. I'd say they go down about a 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch... but I'm not at home to measure. I'll give you exact measurements when I can, but it probably won't be until later this week. I've got an old Navy buddy coming into town this evening.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate