HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2010, 04:24 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARRRICK View Post

VIC: good morning, ( THU 7/15/10 6.00 am )
what you write is exactly correct. However, the hit this heli must have taken coming from Michigan to Texas must have been something ELSE
because the boom was OFF (the only part I was able to fix myself) and the belt was so loose around the internal gear that it hardly pulled the tail rotor around. Then the rudder servo was out of alignement also and I was not able to figure out how to center the servo arm with the actuator in the back. So it went to the recently found LHS expert fixer/upper. worked up and found that the GYRO was hanging from a thread and although apparently connected to the frame was dancing around under power...

anyway : here I brought it back to the house and remembering your report about running it simple ( not Idle-up ) I did it like that and it works very very well. Will try the Idle-up setting next time it's taken out. I am doing very well with the helis. Hoping to get more to practice and FLY THEM ALL. Sent the MD530 INNOVATOR back to California and that one remains to be heard from don't really know what they plan to return. I mentioned If they won't fix permanently I want a return of the total price.
The INNOVATOR EXP is actually flying perfect and is SO centered it holds hands off for several seconds. the FP WALKERA is also doing very well (provided there is no wind ! ) and I am going to make a film of the way it flies so I can post the film for our new friend in PERTH to see. I think that for $ 99.00 total price for the whole package this WALKERA #4 serves his purposes way better than what he is planning to do.
6:30am rolled around and I have to get on with it .... go to work

ps because I feel a lot better, yesterday afternoon the CAMEL was completed ... install two servos and connect everything up is the only remaining job, maybe done over the week-end except that the WHOLE RIGGING is a complex job. I know, because I built the VK CAMEL once before and it took a year to complete. see the pic, it looks good.
Rick...let us KNOW on the Innovator 500.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2010, 05:44 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,262 Posts
Innovator 530

Mr. VIC; thanks for taking an interest in this deal.
at 5:30pm CDT
an E Mail from ACE HOBBY was just now received in which they acknowledge the problem with this particular heli .Iit does not SPECIFICALLY say if the heli has arrived, or if my letter has arrived. This is the text of what they wrote:

quote: " We will definitely do our best to make sure the helicopter is 100% functional when it goes back to you. I will make sure I include the video as documentation and let my manager know about the situation. " unquote
This CSR name is Jonathan Coronado and he handled my original complaint a year ago (same heli) and returned it "fixed" ... turns out: NOT so fixed
I am really happy about the little film I recorded and sent them to prove the craziness created by this model. I guess a picture really is worth a thousand words.

really really looking FORWARD to getting this heli operational. The TWO flights that I actually was able to make, both ended short and badly, but they left a recording of just how WELL it does fly,and how easy it is to get good results. At the stage at which my ability to fly has arrived, this would be the most valuable. I do have helis that will DO advanced stuff, but they are still a bit intimidating.
Right now I am FULLY DEDICATED to finishing the CAMEL...!
but now YOU also know what is going on.
RICK
BARRRICK is offline Find More Posts by BARRRICK
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:35 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Rick,
I hope they fix that Innovator right this time! Go Camel I'm looking forward to seeing how this German flies this captured Camel... and video, too

Blessings,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:20 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer View Post
Rick,
I hope they fix that Innovator right this time! Go Camel I'm looking forward to seeing how this German flies this captured Camel... and video, too

Blessings,

Jay
Yeah on the Camel...loved those birds....Go Snoopy! (no pun intended for sure).

Rick...everyone has hype about which is best. Well, we learn by trial and FIRE I guess. When Dave told me how GOOD the HK450Pro Shaft driven tail was...I knew it had to be good. EXI decided to make the same bird...it's AWSOME in my book. Drawback...blowing out the tail drive gears but I'll LIVE with it because it's just so stable and SMOOOOOTH. That EXI with shaft driven tail has NO problems being in the Bell 206 fiberglass fuselage...they were MADE for each other. I'm gonna buy another EXI Pro with shaft drive and set it up as stock...it ought to be a HOOT, and I may be able to progress even further with inverted flight and such. Funny...there's not a lot of advertisement hype on the EXI shaft version...but it's a BIG winner in my book. Keep us posted, I hope they REALLY make good on it. They may give you a NEWER version that actually has the bugs worked out, and it may be a GOOD machine. We SHALL see!
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:13 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Got three packs in the T28 at lunch. It was quite windy very hot here today. I had a blast standing face in the wind flying the nearly still Trojan. After work I headed over to the school and did five packs in the T28 and worked on getting accustomed to being inverted. I was making full length passes across the field inverted (very high up) and actually worked on flying the plane inverted rather than just praying it would stay inverted for a bit. LOL. It was still pretty windy but was calming down a bit. Just before I left, the wind was low enough that I did one pack in the Extra. I tore the sky up with it!! It is REALLY fast compared to the T28 and has plenty of power. I did some of the largest loops I have ever done and it just looked so awesome. I am telling you... these loops were ENORMOUS!!! I was giggling like a school girl the whole time.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:16 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
The motor in the T28 was sounding a bit rough today. I decided to take it out and give it a once over and found the plastic bell is cracked!! That sucks!! I wonder if HH would do anything if I sent it in.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:17 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sec240 View Post
Got three packs in the T28 at lunch. It was quite windy very hot here today. I had a blast standing face in the wind flying the nearly still Trojan. After work I headed over to the school and did five packs in the T28 and worked on getting accustomed to being inverted. I was making full length passes across the field inverted (very high up) and actually worked on flying the plane inverted rather than just praying it would stay inverted for a bit. LOL. It was still pretty windy but was calming down a bit. Just before I left, the wind was low enough that I did one pack in the Extra. I tore the sky up with it!! It is REALLY fast compared to the T28 and has plenty of power. I did some of the largest loops I have ever done and it just looked so awesome. I am telling you... these loops were ENORMOUS!!! I was giggling like a school girl the whole time.
LMAO...that's what it's all about. Inverted with a plane...pretty easy once you get the feel for it. I can fly mine around the pattern inverted making the turns as needed at each leg. I haven't flown it 6ft off the ground inverted yet...gotta work up to that.

Update on the minibike. Just aquired a 5hp Briggs that looks and runs like new for $50.....how friggin cool is that? Things keep going like this, it'll be rideable by September for the girls.
Last edited by metalbenderusn; Jul 16, 2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 06:11 AM
Joined Jul 2010
105 Posts
Hey guys.. thanks heaps for your input

I guess with hobbies there are three kinds of hobbyist
1. people who make stuff
2. people who do stuff
3. people who make stuff that does stuff

For myself, I get really excited about a project where I can make something that I can then use to do something. Where one hobby gives me two types of enjoyment. Its one thing to pull off your first inverted hover right.. but its another thing entirely to do it with a heli your have designed and built yourself. Thats the special kind of feeling i'm looking for People on the forums here have done it and I'm hoping to achieve the same result.

One thing I'm really big on is freedom of information. So if I come up with a new or safer way of doing something, I'll be telling people exactly what it is and how they can do it too. I plan to put all my ideas into the public domain so that others who have a different take on it can suggest improvements or use my designs as a base for their own tweaks... kinda like linux for heli's.. lol

To start with I really need to try and do it on the cheap since I'm likely to go through many versions and many crashes. As my experience and knowledge base grows I will be using the most appropriate parts for the job. If they are cheap then good but if I need to pay a lot for something worthwhile then I will... but I will be documenting why I made that decision and sharing with others.

I will most definately make mistakes along the way and some of them will be costly. Some people will laugh at me and others will encourage. Some people will help out and others will just sit back and take what they can get. The beauty of it however is that I'm doing this for me but if others can benefit from it then so much the better.

I kinda didnt really plan on saying so much so i'll leave it at that but again, thankyou for your input.. advice, criticism and praise are all most welcome.

Without ambition there is no progress

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbenderusn View Post
Although your efforts are commendable, I've been down the road listed above to an extent. The results will depend entirely on how well it's built and setting it up. You can get an HK450 for about $45USD shipped, and add all the electronics from HK and still come out with something flyable (I use the word flyable loosely). Fixed pitch is less forgiving on a learning pilot than a CP unit. My point, you are gonna put in a LOT of time for a custom fixed pitch helicopter (which are generally electric motor tails that are controlled with an "all in one"), you're gonna end up spending MORE and loosing more if it crashes. An "all in one" controller is comprised of the ESC/BEC, RX, tail motor controller, and gyro. My opinion...get a CP like the HK-450, the gyro, ESC (35-40a), and the $3 servos....You'll be into it for less than $150USD (I think) and have something that is more stable than a 300 sized heli. The battery it will use is a 2200mAh 20c, and they run about $17 ea before ship from HK, and you can use an E-Sky cheap charger for Li-Po batteries that costs $20USD instead of $80-$150 for a decient one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersrule View Post
JayW,

I've read your blog and see that this is a project that you are really looking forward to. As far as the tail drive, it's a flip of a coin. If you decide on a belt drive, you'll spend extra money on the tail assembly and boom. If you decide on an electric motor, then money on the controller for it. Too, not knowing how many amps your DIY motor will pull, it may fry the controller with an electric tail. Just my opinion, but I think the belt drive is more reliable.

Here's a site you may find interesting.

http://rcvehicles.about.com/gi/o.htm...ect/index.html
jayw81 is offline Find More Posts by jayw81
Old Jul 16, 2010, 01:31 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sec240 View Post
The motor in the T28 was sounding a bit rough today. I decided to take it out and give it a once over and found the plastic bell is cracked!! That sucks!! I wonder if HH would do anything if I sent it in.
Ivan- How old is the motor? The same thing was happening with the BF 109 and I had mine replaced twice. The first time they sent me an exact replacement which arrived to me already cracked! So on the second call to them I insisted on a susbstitue instead. 3 days later a power 15 showed up on my doorstep HH has great CS so I'm sure they will help you out.

Jim
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:30 PM
TIME is so things last longer!
California
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
Hi Guys,

A quick update, the kitchen was installed yesterday. Today was spent running around to Granite Yards and talking with installers. This is a hell you never want to go through. LOL

IVAN:
I stuffed my 500 ESP. As you can see the frame is broken on both side so it must be replaced.

My question to you is, you have both the standard 500 ESP and new version 500 right?

Are the frames that much different?

If so....... Should/could I replace and upgrade to the new frame?

Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated!

The stock 500ESP frames are $65.00.

BTW I was flying my stock T-28 the other day and a guy came in that has 7 of them! yes 7 of them in different set ups. He had a new Eflite motor called a Eflite 10. Ivan, that 28 was dead on fast! He had a 40 amp ESC. He also had larger wheels too. He had made axle sleeves out of some small copper bushing material kinda like a ballpoint pen cartridge brass and slipped that over the T-28 axles as a filler to compensate for the larger hole in the larger wheels. Then he put an axle lock with a set screw on eachside of the wheel to hold it perfectly upright and straight. I have to tell you that thing ran down the runway it had no drift as he was lifting off nor did it wander and make him fight the rudder on landing to keep it straight on the money. Food for thought.

Now that the garage is coming to nearly empty with the kitchen out of there I can set back up a table and start making my fleets sorely needed repairs and get back to flying and jumping in here and throwing some opinions too

THANK JPEE
JPee is offline Find More Posts by JPee
Old Jul 16, 2010, 06:13 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayw81 View Post
Hey guys.. thanks heaps for your input

I guess with hobbies there are three kinds of hobbyist
1. people who make stuff
2. people who do stuff
3. people who make stuff that does stuff

For myself, I get really excited about a project where I can make something that I can then use to do something. Where one hobby gives me two types of enjoyment. Its one thing to pull off your first inverted hover right.. but its another thing entirely to do it with a heli your have designed and built yourself. Thats the special kind of feeling i'm looking for People on the forums here have done it and I'm hoping to achieve the same result.

One thing I'm really big on is freedom of information. So if I come up with a new or safer way of doing something, I'll be telling people exactly what it is and how they can do it too. I plan to put all my ideas into the public domain so that others who have a different take on it can suggest improvements or use my designs as a base for their own tweaks... kinda like linux for heli's.. lol

To start with I really need to try and do it on the cheap since I'm likely to go through many versions and many crashes. As my experience and knowledge base grows I will be using the most appropriate parts for the job. If they are cheap then good but if I need to pay a lot for something worthwhile then I will... but I will be documenting why I made that decision and sharing with others.

I will most definately make mistakes along the way and some of them will be costly. Some people will laugh at me and others will encourage. Some people will help out and others will just sit back and take what they can get. The beauty of it however is that I'm doing this for me but if others can benefit from it then so much the better.

I kinda didnt really plan on saying so much so i'll leave it at that but again, thankyou for your input.. advice, criticism and praise are all most welcome.

Without ambition there is no progress

Jay
Jay...nobody is gonna laugh or cut you down. Do it the way you want, I sure did. What I DID learn is, a better quality heli flys easier and better for an inexperienced pilot. I never really progressed until I got better stuff. What we WOULD like for you to do is keep us updated with PHOTOS of the build and some video when you get it flying.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 06:51 PM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,205 Posts
Hey Guys

Been busy here with everything it just wont slow down Steve got back from Cali on Saturday(his dad is doing ok now) then he left for the week up to Grand Traverse, Michigan to fix some server problems. I got few RC projects going now, 1 of them is a gift for Steve to get him into helis, the others have WHEELS! Hope to get the Vision out this weekend and maybe the EXI.
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Old Jul 16, 2010, 07:15 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Hi Fellas,

Not to much going on with me RC wise, to hot and sticky out. A few flight here and there, but nothing to write home about. I'm a bachelor for the next 10 days or so, I took Liz up to stay with her dad for awhile. She's gonna help him go through here mom's things and get it in order.

Vic,
Sounds like a good deal on the 5HP Briggs engine. The girls will love it.

JayW81,
You sure have a big project ahead of ya, it's sounds like you have the determination to get it done and make it work sweet. Kudos to ya. We're behind ya 100%.

JPEE,

Sorry for the mishap, looks pretty gruesome. I'm sure you zigged, when you should have zagged.
You could go for an HK carbon fiber frame, or one from value hobby that is metal. Then you'd have a boat load of spare parts.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...des_and_extras)

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...35&item_id=217

Kyle,
RC with Wheels????? Gotta be a plane, car, or motorcyle. I'd hate to even guess. I may get a motorcyle to expand the hobby.

Dave

Will it Wheelie Mister?? (2 min 6 sec)
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Jul 16, 2010, 07:25 PM
Joined Jul 2010
105 Posts
Not in this thread they won't... I have seen that you guys arent like that. I'm prepared for it in other threads though. Some people seem to have no respect to those who do it differently... but thats ok, it doesn't bother me in the slightest

I will definately be posting photos and videos as they are taken but for the moment at least, everything is in my head. I got an awesome idea for the theme of the finished product but I will leave that as a surprise for when it is finished.

I'm probably a while away from being ale to show anything but good things are worth waiting for no?? lol

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbenderusn View Post
Jay...nobody is gonna laugh or cut you down. Do it the way you want, I sure did. What I DID learn is, a better quality heli flys easier and better for an inexperienced pilot. I never really progressed until I got better stuff. What we WOULD like for you to do is keep us updated with PHOTOS of the build and some video when you get it flying.
jayw81 is offline Find More Posts by jayw81
Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:38 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,262 Posts
STOPPED AGAIN ! (so soon ? )

I got ready to begin the rigging on the CAMEL. Found out real quick that HANGAR 9 did not include all the TAIL RIGGING.....the wing cables, attachments, etc are ALL here. Not a single tail piece. So I investigated and found out in HH that this is a KNOWN problem, and that they will send the missing parts upon request. So I EMailed them and hope they send them soon.I am close now, install ELE + RUD servos and connect everything up. Then the CAMEL flies.....The rigging may take me a whole day, from what I see in the Manual...
I seem to have overcome my phys.problems (maybe depression also? ) and have gotten "active" again.
My two MICRO planes ( J-3 and CHAMP ) look so sorry without the wing struts that I actually made a set for them both. Now they look a LOT better, at least a bit more "scale"....they do fly perfectly. This morning at 6:15am I gave the CHAMP a maiden right outside the driveway...
but: they DO look a lot better with struts, don't you agree ?
RICK
BARRRICK is offline Find More Posts by BARRRICK