HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2010, 01:32 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Mini-HowTo
How to add Flaps to the E-Flite UM 4-Site using the Dx6i radio

Note..These instructions are for the DX6i only.

I decided to do a separate thread on this topic as there is not much info out there on how to do this. I just added Flaps to my 4-Site and I will try to show how its done. Its more complicated than it first appears and I will be revising this thread as I go.

This thread will show how to make the aileron servos independent of each other and how to switch aileron modes also elevator mixing will be added.

There are two modes of operation as far as dual ailerons are concerned.
1. Channel 6 to reversed channel 2.
2. Reversed channel 2 to channel 6.

Mode 1 is the default and emulates 1 channel dual ailerons.
Mode 2 is used for 2 channel dual ailerons.

For the proper sequence of steps, goto page 3 post #42 Sorry but if I link Post #42 directly, it transposes some of the steps. Some kind of bug here @ rcgroups I guess. Its a very annoying bug and causes a lot of confusion I'm sure
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Feb 18, 2010 at 03:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2010, 01:55 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
hey this is useful stuff modfly, tell me how it goes, but does the 4 site really need flaps?
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old Feb 15, 2010, 02:02 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeeddud View Post
hey this is useful stuff modfly, tell me how it goes, but does the 4 site really need flaps?
Time will tell It may be that Spoilerons work better I just don't know yet but I plan to try both. I have found that Flaps or Flapperons can help a plane slow way down for a easy landing. I have also found that Spoilerons will do the same thing on some planes without Tip Stall issues. If nothing else, this thread will be useful in learning more about the Very High Tech AR6400L brick and its many functions and options.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 02:10 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
Im getting my 4 site today so Ill see if I need to do this mod..... but wouldnt just putting the spoilers work better? the ones that come with the box?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 02:15 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Im getting my 4 site today so Ill see if I need to do this mod..... but wouldnt just putting the spoilers work better? the ones that come with the box?
Those are Air brakes. The advantage of the Flaps is they can be switched on\off. The Air brakes can not and add weight to the plane. This mod does not add any weight to the 4-Site So thats 2 advantages right off the bat.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 02:44 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
So to do this mod...first unplug the motor from the brick. You might want to memorize its orientation as it plugs in 2 different ways. Then the first step is to do the Stick programming toggle to ch2\ch6.

hint... For Stick programming to work, the TX channels must be at full deflection with 100% rates set. When the mode is toggled you will see this indication..
AR6400 mode change (0 min 12 sec)
Last edited by modfly; Feb 18, 2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 02:57 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
here is my latest 4-Site video with Flaps and elevator mixing.

E-Flite UM 4-Site with flaps (1 min 0 sec)
Last edited by modfly; Feb 17, 2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 03:07 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
this is cool! Can you set more deflection? I also have a dx6i!

I will try this when I get my 4 site!
Old Feb 15, 2010, 03:13 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
this is cool! Can you set more deflection? I also have a dx6i!

I will try this when I get my 4 site!
Yes you can set as much deflection as you like, however, its best to start with just a little and get the plane flying good then if needed, you can step up the deflection until you reach the point of diminished return.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 03:21 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly View Post
Yes you can set as much deflection as you like, however, its best to start with just a little and get the plane flying good then if needed, you can step up the deflection until you reach the point of diminished return.
you mean stall point?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 03:43 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,809 Posts
i guess this is just for dx6i mode. my dx7 i can just got into mix and set flaparons or whatever i wish.
on my stick I have where both ailrons go up below 255 throttle for landings. then they go down when my 3 way switch fliped another way

and yes start with little then add more into it even on larger planes sometimes do not need very much.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Feb 15, 2010, 03:56 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,842 Posts
Any thoughts of programming flaperons?
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 15, 2010, 05:22 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Any thoughts of programming flaperons?
what radio you using ?
DX6I found here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...80&postcount=3
Quote:
1: On the SETUP SCREEN, select WINGTAILMIX, then ACTivate DUALAILE
2: On the ADJUST SCREEN, select DIFFERENTIAL, then whatever differential value is appropriate (say 50%)
3: On the ADJUST SCREEN, select MIX1, ACTivate it, select THRO master channel, FLAP slave channel, appropriate values for L and R (say 100%), and SWITCH set to FLAP. This allows the throttle stick to move both ailerons in the same direction.
4: On the ADJUST SCREEN, select MIX2, ACTivate it, select THRO master channel, ELEV slave channel, appropriate values for L and R (say 30%), and SWITCH set to FLAP. This makes automatic corrections to the elevator due to spoileron/flaperon movements.

And you're done: now when the Flap switch is On, the throttle stick will have proportional control over the flaperon/spoileron values, with appropriate elevator correction. Looking at the MONITOR screen one can see that this indeed works. You could adjust throttle travel range so you have only spoilerons, only flaperons, one more than another, and so on. In particular, you could also set either L or R in MIX1 to 0% to completely disable half of the throttle range, effectively disabling either flaperon (most likely) or spoileron altogether.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Feb 15, 2010, 05:28 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly View Post
So to do this mod...first unplug the motor from the brick.

There is no need to unplug the motor before doing the 2-6 mix toggle.
If you are worried about the motor starting by accident (which it shouldn't) then just remove the prop.

Funny you would do this change today. I wonder where you got the idea.....

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:40 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post

Funny you would do this change today. I wonder where you got the idea.....
Pat MacKenzie
What is it your implying Pat M? Are you saying that you alone know how to program the AR6400 or something? Dude, its common knowledge and I did this same programming using dual aileron servos with the Ch2\Ch6 mode swap last summer on a Micro Cox P-47 using the AR6400. I was the first to do it eh? I did not get the idea from you or anyone else. I was the first to post a thread on this mod so why do you think I got the idea or info from you? Here is a thread using the AR6400 in a Cox micro warbird that uses twin independent aileron servos with Spoilerons http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1103757 There is some other good info in that thread like how to run the AR6400 off 2 cells and there is also a discussion on the servo reversing cable and other useful info so you see Pat M, I have been working with the AR6400 for a good while now and did not start yesterday posting info about it like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
There is no need to unplug the motor before doing the 2-6 mix toggle.
If you are worried about the motor starting by accident (which it shouldn't) then just remove the prop.
Pat MacKenzie
I disagree and think the motor plug should be disconnected if doing any stick programming. I recommend you disconnect the motor plug unless you want your new 4-Site damaged in a fly away.

The manual suggests using two people if doing Stick programming but I did not have a helper so removing the motor plug is very easy and quick with a set of treasures. The manual says that accidental motor arming and fly aways can occur while attempting stick programming. Seems that removing the prop is a bad idea because its not good for the motor to run WOT with no load. Could cause it to throw a brush or cause general damage to the motor. Just disconnect the motor plug and no worries. Takes 2 seconds.
Last edited by modfly; Feb 15, 2010 at 07:53 PM.