Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 21, 2014, 03:41 PM
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
Discussion
Design feedback please?

Hi guys,

I have an idea for a new quadcopter that I would like to get 3d printed. Since this is the first project like this I have ever attempted, I would really appreciate it if someone with more experience than me would take a look at it and suggest improvements.

My design was inspired by this blog post I came across. My goal was to develop a quad that is about 6 inches diagonally and weighs less than 150 grams. I also wanted it to be controlled by a Ps3 controller and send telemetry data back to a raspberry pi. Eventually I hope to attach a small camera to the bottom for fpv, in the future.

Here is a tentative list of parts:
1x Afroflight Naze32 Flight Controller
4x Tiger Mt1306 motors
4x Hobby King 6A ESC
1x Turnigy nano-tech 300mah 2S 45~90C Lipo Pack
3020 Propellers Black

I still have to figure out how I want to send data wirelessly from the Rpi to the Naze32. I'm thinking about using bluetooth but having trouble looking for a cheap module.

My main concern right now however is the frame. I designed something simple in AutoCAD, but I would like someone else to take a look at it, and see if it is ok before I get it printed. You can find the STL file here. I also need advice on what kind of filament to use. It seems that ABS is the most commonly used for this kind of application, but what do you guys think of other filaments, like t-glase or taulman 618?

Thanks so much!
ahmedallibhoy is online now Find More Posts by ahmedallibhoy
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm really new at this so I'd really appreciate it if someone could give feedback. Basically, I want to know if,

1) I need to make any changes to my CAD model or if its ready to print?

2) What filament is best to use for 3d printing? What are some alternatives to ABS?

3) Is there anything else I need to purchase for my multicopter?

4) What are some cheap modules which can allow the Raspberry Pi and Naze32 to communicate wirelessly? . I don't think bluetooth will have good range and I've looked at Xbee but its expensive.

Thanks again.
ahmedallibhoy is online now Find More Posts by ahmedallibhoy
Old Today, 12:27 AM
Joined Jan 2014
55 Posts
I don't have any experience with 3d printing so I don't have any input on the printing but as far as the parts go, I think you should go with larger kv motors. 3100 kv is kinda ridiculous. Most minis I've seen use about 2300-2400 kv, but the design you wish to obtain is even smaller than most minis, (6 inches is about 150mm, pretty tiny). So its your call, I'm no expert by any means. However, if you do stick with those motors, I think you should step up your esc just to be safe. But as far as the goal of 150g, is this just the frame or including all electronics? Because 150g is pretty hard to achieve to achieve, including electronics, especially if including an fpv set up. Which is another point; on Tiger Motor's website, the thurst chart associated with your selected motors, they only test motors about 6-7 inches and yours are way smaller than that so you'd have to be sure that you'd get the thrust needed to fly in general, and account for the extra weght if planning on incorporating an fpv set up.
This is just my 2 cents, I'd double check with a more experienced flyer before doing anything drastic.
Good Luck, hope this helps.
thekid611 is online now Find More Posts by thekid611
Last edited by thekid611; Today at 01:44 AM.