HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2013, 01:51 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,433 Posts
Question
Castle Field Link with Talon 90?

I've just got the Castle Field Link that was on special offer with my Talon 90 ESC. I plugged it into my Talon 90 today to try it out, and applied power to the Talon 90, as per instructions. I get a flashing light error code that, according to the on-line manual, means "An unrecognized controller is plugged into the Field Link Card."

Before I try to update the software on the card, which the manual says is a possible remedy, I'd be interested to know if anyone has used this card with the Talon 90 ESC. Talon 90 is not shown in Castle's listing of compatible ESCs
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2013, 10:08 PM
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Dec 2010
272 Posts
contact Castle Creations,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,
carlnoki is offline Find More Posts by carlnoki
Old Apr 05, 2013, 01:43 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,433 Posts
It's so much more informative, and interesting, getting answers here I was hoping someone would say, "yes, I've used them together, you just need to do x,y,z to make them work".

Anyway, I have contacted CC support. It'll be interesting to see why they're pushing an item that's not listed as being compatible
Old Apr 05, 2013, 02:02 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
2,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
It's so much more informative, and interesting, getting answers here I was hoping someone would say, "yes, I've used them together, you just need to do x,y,z to make them work".

Anyway, I have contacted CC support. It'll be interesting to see why they're pushing an item that's not listed as being compatible
Curious. I haven't tried mine yet, but it was actually shipped with the Talon 90 as a package, so yeah, you'd kind of expect it to work. Guess I'll have to go try it now and see.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Apr 11, 2013, 02:11 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,433 Posts
scirocco, Castle have at last responded to my email query to them: Their reply is that the Field Link is not compatible with the Talon 90 yet, but their engineers are working on it. They said they can't tell me when the upgrade will be ready

They say it will work as a Castle Link with the Talon 90 when connected to a PC through the Castle Link software, but only after it has updated itself via the latest version of the software.

Also, I've found that, since updating via the software, connecting the Field Link to the Talon 90 without a PC no longer gives me the "unsupported ESC" error signal -- just a green "linked" light, but no functionality.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 02:55 PM
Joined Sep 2007
30 Posts
abenn,

The Talon 90 should actually work on the Field programming card. Try connecting the Field programming card to the Castle Link program by itself. Go to Device Commands > Reset Castle Link device. This should updated the firmware on the Field programming card. Then disconnect the card from the link and try connecting the Talon 90 to the card. It should work just fine, I just tested it at my desk and it works correctly.

Thomas Porfert
Tech Support
Castle Creations
Thomas Porfert is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Porfert
Old Apr 12, 2013, 02:15 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,433 Posts
Hmmm ... two days ago your "Outside sales and support" people told me, "The engineers are working on the update... I do not have a date...". At that time something seemed to have been updated on my Field card after I connected it to CastleLink on my PC, for it no longer gave the "unrecognised controller" error signal when plugged into the Talon 90, just a green "Linked" light.

So, now I've just connected my Field card to my PC and updated it as you describe. The software confirmed that an update was available. My heli with the Talon 90 in it is not to hand at the moment, so I'll report back later today when I'm able to connect it.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 05:01 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,433 Posts
I've now tried it with the Talon 90, and it's working as it should now. Thank you.

Maybe you should let your Sales & Support people know that, from the factory, the Field card (and maybe CastleLink on the PC) needs to be updated before it will work with the Talon 90.