Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:24 PM
CSU Chico, Flight Club
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Sep 2012
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
TPM- Do you have (#defined MotorStop) uncommented in (config.h)?

Rimshotcopter- Looking good there.
my "find text box wont work" I cant find any #define motor stop anywhere manually in config.h.

It happened again, I stepped on it, but kept the battery plugged in. while doing so:

-the arm switch and throttle failed to function entirely.
-disconnecting the throttle wire from the RX changed nothing. rotors continued to spin.
-disconnecting the ESC signal wire stopped the rotor in about 2 seconds. upon reconnection the system refused to spin up.

I think this is unique to my system setup in either the ESCs or the MWC/arduino settings.

I wonder if I enabled the lines of failsafe code? the top most one is commented out.
Test Pilot Mafia is online now Find More Posts by Test Pilot Mafia
Last edited by Test Pilot Mafia; Jul 18, 2013 at 09:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2013, 07:13 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,067 Posts
I wouldn't use the arm/disarm switch until you get it flying good. Use the TX yaw arm/disarm movement instead.

Motor_Stop is near the bottom of the file. It shouldn't be activated until everything works good.

Sounds like time to clear the eeprom and start with a fresh (2.2) file.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:43 AM
CSU Chico, Flight Club
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Sep 2012
817 Posts
found it!

it was a deceptive intermittent BEC, cuasing a short duration off, then immeadiatly back on, but the MWC needs a boot time, in that time my ESC fell back to a minimum throttle waiting for a response that would never come.

well lesson learned on that one... all of those 3-pin servo connectors are delicate and to be checked often...

so ill change some connectors and figure out a more formal test for those... I cant lose a whole machine because of this type of error...

EDIT: Ive replaced the connector but now cant get the MW crius to arm, when I use a servo tester I can get both props to turn though.
Last edited by Test Pilot Mafia; Jul 21, 2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 01:41 PM
CSU Chico, Flight Club
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Sep 2012
817 Posts
ok ive reflashed some FW, and will be making some test filghts today, but im still having problems with the RCtimer collets wobbling all over, ive seen others have this problem too, I may need to buy the Eflight type.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:57 PM
CSU Chico, Flight Club
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Sep 2012
817 Posts
ive reflashed and reprogrammed some important parts of the machine, and built a jig to un-bend the worthless collets, which now work much better.

ive added more ballast to the tail, and I see that the closer the CoL and CoG are the better behaved the machine is, even with non optimal PID tuning. the tail fin is to be added shortly, and will be flexible CF and removable. and for the first time, I think im seeing hints of the machine hovering level instead of slightly nose down, as with the previous generation I operated.

Second, a force diagram/free body diagram and general guidelines would help with the build and tuning process, but im not sure where to begin with that. in any case, the best advice I can give from lessons learned first hand, is that the control horn should be long, the servo horn considerably shorter, and the prop disc should tilt very little even with the full rotation of the servo from limit to limit. (remember youll want full resolution from the servo and PID math, these general points help you get there.)
Last edited by Test Pilot Mafia; Jul 24, 2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:24 PM
CSU Chico, Flight Club
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Sep 2012
817 Posts
the changes ive made, so far are profound and allow much better control then ever seen before. Just a simple 1 inch elevation change prevents the wicked oscillation seen on all my machines before.
Last edited by Test Pilot Mafia; Jul 25, 2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:15 PM
CSU Chico, Flight Club
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Sep 2012
817 Posts
im going to try and get a real physical example modeled, and Gress' work here in this pic may help.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 05:29 PM
CSU Chico, Flight Club
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Sep 2012
817 Posts
Found this PDF, trying to figure on the meaning of all the funny math... Gress isnt credited though he clearly contributed.
Last edited by Test Pilot Mafia; Jul 30, 2013 at 05:50 PM.