Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:35 AM
will fly for food
United States, CA, Ben Lomond
Joined Mar 2011
1,093 Posts
Discussion
Vacation car travels

I'm looking for ideas for safely transporting a handful of lipos in the car for my long road trip.

At this point I am stumped because we will be using our Honda CRV, i.e. no trunk. My usual transportation when I fly is an F150, and my lipos are in lipo sacks inside ammo cans, in the back of the truck.

I don't want to endanger my 3 year old son or wife by having the lipos in the same breathing space in case one of them decides to randomly smoke.

My one idea I had is..... to bring a small model, Nanocpx most likely, and just buy some new batteries (1S 150mah) when I get to my hotel. Then mail them to my home at the end of the vacation

I guess I should go to RC Addicts Anonymous because I can't go anywhere w/out some stick time
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:50 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,237 Posts
When I traveled I just put them in a storage lipo sack so they were separated and put them in a secure spot where the bag would be quick to remove from the vehicle if needed.

Really if you take care of your lipos and they are not all beat up your risk is pretty low.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:02 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,870 Posts
Also, keep them at a low charge state (3.7 volts / cell). Discharged lipolys have little energy available. Little energy = low risk of fire.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:06 AM
will fly for food
Joined Mar 2011
1,093 Posts
Thanks GB,

I treat my Lipos well. No LVC,..... do a break in when they are new, store them @ 3.85 per cell etc. Maybe I'm being a little paranoid......been reading the "Lipo fires are Real" thread too much
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:31 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,870 Posts
3.85 volts per cell is ideal for long term storage. 3.7 volts per cell is safer for transit and has lower risk of fire due to lower accumulated energy.
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:50 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,237 Posts
As mark is saying, gotta remember all (or at least most of) the videos and news you see of lipo fires are fully charged or overcharged lipos. Lots of energy available to make things go boom.

The energy level makes all the difference. Hence why we can drain them to 0 and safely throw them in the trash.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:14 PM
will fly for food
Joined Mar 2011
1,093 Posts
Thanks for the good info gentlemen!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:14 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,299 Posts
I hate to point this out but do you take special precautions with your cell phone, laptop, or tablet while traveling?

I travel with mine in my flight box and never had any issues. If traveling in the summer do not leave them in the car without the AC on. High temp's shorten their life.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:31 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
I hate to point this out but do you take special precautions with your cell phone, laptop, or tablet while traveling?
My only response to that is, with the exception of the laptop, your cell phone and tablet have 1s batteries with a lot less wiring so thus less potential for a solder joint to break and something to short out.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:00 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,155 Posts
Also the Lipo batteries in our phones etc. are very low C rating batteries. Much more tolerant of being left fully charged too.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2