Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:48 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,165 Posts
You know, it is logical to me that the tires on new cars are going to be hard compounds or those with less rolling resistance, in order to get the highest mpg ratings they can, unless it is a performance car or truck.

Air pressure might be maxed out too for the same reason, within the safe range. This is interesting in the issue with Ford Explorers a few years back when the low pressure they recommended was a safety issue, they did this to improve the ride, I think the rear tires required only 26 lbs. or something according to the manufacturer when that happened. It created a handling and rollover issue. I don't recall ever hearing of a vehicle other than this one with a recommendation of under 30 lbs. psi. both of mine now are over 40 lbs, and if the van tires get a bit low, it is really heavy, it starts to exaggerate the feel of it being like driving a boat that it has always had. I had a Dodge van, 1974, that thing handled and rode so much better than this Econoline ever did.

My experience driving Ford trucks overall have a kind of odd feeling to the front end, lots of F150s, even the 4x4s and F650 and F750. When you graduate to a real truck like the Kenworths and International Transtar I used to drive hauling equipment, it is night and day. Those F750 bucket trucks and digger trucks are unsafe in my opinion. Overweight and in some cases unbalanced, like a pole digger truck with the boom on one side.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Last edited by Treetop; Dec 06, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:49 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,181 Posts
Nothing but BF Goodrich A/T Revos for my truck. Great traction year round and 80k on this set.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,151 Posts
Years ago, I went to a tire place to replace the original tires on my VW bus. Guy told me they had a set of Swiss Alpine VW tires. These were not to be sold in the USA, but they were sent a set by mistake, and were given permission to sell them. The price was the same, so I said OK. I put 80K on those tires and could probably have put another 10-15K on them.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:16 PM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
New tires is great. Almost like a new car.
General Dual 90s, that's what you want. In 1968.
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lymon View Post
New tires is great. Almost like a new car.
General Dual 90s, that's what you want. In 1968.
Great....now we're going to start discussing Goodyear Polyglas GT's versus Firestone Wide Ovals, and raised white letters versus redlines.
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:44 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,319 Posts
I use to say Goodyear were my favorite tires but one time, oh back in the mid 90's, I bought a set that were horrible in snow and in the rain and that's what they were suppose to be best at. I soon replaced them with a set of Michelin tires and have never had a reason to buy any other brand.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:13 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
I don't think it makes any sense at all to generalize that "brand x" does this or that.. There are huge differences between particular tire models - compound, tread design, belt design, belt material, etc.

If you want to discuss a particular tire or the selection for a particular vehicle you can make some sense of it, to make a blanket statement across all the models - no.

The best thing to do is what Gerald suggested - go to tirerack or discount tire websites and look at the comments from people on your particular tire (on your vehicle if possible) for a best chance at making an informed choice.
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:07 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix2 View Post
I don't think it makes any sense at all to generalize that "brand x" does this or that.. There are huge differences between particular tire models - compound, tread design, belt design, belt material, etc.

If you want to discuss a particular tire or the selection for a particular vehicle you can make some sense of it, to make a blanket statement across all the models - no.

The best thing to do is what Gerald suggested - go to tirerack or discount tire websites and look at the comments from people on your particular tire (on your vehicle if possible) for a best chance at making an informed choice.
Yes,

and to be honest, when I mentioned BFGoodrich radial t/a tires, they were a totally different tire (1979) than what is marketed today, although they look exactly the same. BFGoodrich is a Michelin brand now. BFG radial t/a did not have steel belts back then, they used to make a lot of aircraft tires, and it was this technology which they used on the original T/A. The BF stood for Benjamin Franklin Goodrich, the fellow who founded the company.

I think when all is checked out, some folks probably swear by one brand and despise another, when in fact, they are owned by the same parent company today. BFG, are Michelin, Uniroyal and Firestone are Bridgestone, General is Continental, and some brands are produced and sold in some countries by different ownership companies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tire_companies

Of course the largest producer of tires in the world is Lego....
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:21 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Bought a set of Goodyears once at Sears for an 87 Dodge Colt.
After only 10,000 miles they just started to crumble. You could literally scratch away the rubber tread with your fingernail.
Never bought another one of their tires.
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:49 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:

I tried that and seem to find comments like this," Man, these are the best looking tires I've every had. Currently have 5 miles on them and they are wearing well." 5 stars!
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:26 AM
Foamie Freak!
United States, NC, Cornelius
Joined May 2012
87 Posts
Quote:

I agree, but my experience has been with Goodyear as a whole, not just one of their particular tires, or any specific vehicle. I have seen numerous of their products on numerous different vehicles have issues.....
Leather Helmet is offline Find More Posts by Leather Helmet
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:28 AM
Foamie Freak!
United States, NC, Cornelius
Joined May 2012
87 Posts
Somebody else was talking about out of round conditions. It is a good idea when having new tires mounted, to have them "ROAD FORCE BALANCED". That will find tires with hard/soft spots. and a tire and wheel can sometimes be indexed to correct this condition. The ROAD FORCE BALANCER will also tell if a tire is too bad to be corrected by indexing.
Leather Helmet is offline Find More Posts by Leather Helmet
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:06 AM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
well, I guess I really didn't want to ride in the blimp after all...
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:58 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,473 Posts
Nae choice unfortunately. That is all I can get hold of this weekend, so I guess I get to write a review in a few months time.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:26 AM
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Aug 2004
106 Posts
Hankook. 55k & still going.
Jake
Sonsight is offline Find More Posts by Sonsight