HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2011, 07:19 PM
Joined Jun 2007
70 Posts
Discussion
Telemetry

I've started looking into building the telemetry developer package and have a couple questions. Biggest question: what's the cheapest kit I can get that will program a PIC16F688?
after that, i've done a little price checking and found that if I want to have the pcb's made by expressPCB i'm looking at doing a run of around 18 sensor boards. Would anyone be interested in the sensor board with rpm and temp sensor leads? quick estimate right now would be around $20 a board.
kneissl is offline Find More Posts by kneissl
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2011, 12:21 PM
Joined Feb 2004
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneissl View Post
I've started looking into building the telemetry developer package and have a couple questions. Biggest question: what's the cheapest kit I can get that will program a PIC16F688?
after that, i've done a little price checking and found that if I want to have the pcb's made by expressPCB i'm looking at doing a run of around 18 sensor boards. Would anyone be interested in the sensor board with rpm and temp sensor leads? quick estimate right now would be around $20 a board.
Hey Troy....You've got WAY to much free/time on your hands! ....
Ed
tande is offline Find More Posts by tande
Old May 31, 2011, 04:06 PM
Seattle, Washington, United States, University of Washington
Joined Feb 2003
432 Posts
Hello kneissl,

I would be interested in purchasing 2 of the PCB boards.

-John Elliott (Seattle)

Quote:
jbeanelliott is online now Find More Posts by jbeanelliott
Old Jun 02, 2011, 05:12 PM
Launceston Arpt, Tasmania, Australia
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
the PICSTART PLUS has given me good service.
E_ferret is offline Find More Posts by E_ferret
Old Jun 04, 2011, 01:13 PM
Joined Jun 2007
70 Posts
update: Ordered up everything i need.. Found a 4 sensor design posted in the forums from a while back. Just 6 boards to start, will sell the first run for cost. If there's interest i'll do a revision of the board and a bigger run.

will look similar this:
Old Jun 05, 2011, 12:26 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
That was a board that I did about 3 years ago. The intent was not for someone to start producing and selling sensor boards off of a design that I did. The intent was for anyone to build their own for personal use. Here is the post where that picture came from:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=92

Alan
jh2rc97 is offline Find More Posts by jh2rc97
Old Jun 05, 2011, 02:52 PM
Joined Jun 2007
70 Posts
Hey Alan, I'm not making any money off this.. like i said i'm selling the first batch at cost and if there's interest i'd do my own revisions to it and maybe make enough to cover my time spent assembling them. I'm just trying to make available some basic sensor rig to someone who doesn't have the time or ability to dink around with this stuff... which is probably 99% of the people here. really i'm only doing what i wish someone else would have done for the last few years. judging by the # of posts here i'll probably have 4 sensorboards anyways.
Last edited by kneissl; Jun 05, 2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 06:54 AM
Joined Dec 2007
39 Posts
Hi chaps from Perth Western Australia,
When the telemetry units come back in stock " I hope in July 2011" I would like to have a go at these units using the Telemetry unit plugged into my note book on the flight line and record some data.
When using the Telemetry unit as I have stated on the flight line what range are you chaps getting from the model to the telemetry unit.

Is there any screen shots of what you have been doing and the data sent down to the computer.????
Best regards .

Malc.
Capt Malc is offline Find More Posts by Capt Malc
Old Jun 09, 2011, 07:47 AM
Gotta Luv Gasser Helis..
Gold Coast, Qld , Australia
Joined Apr 2006
324 Posts
Quote:
judging by the # of posts here i'll probably have 4 sensorboards anyways.
I'd love to play with one ,or probably two!

Can you PM me with what I need to do ?
_Peter is online now Find More Posts by _Peter
Old Jun 09, 2011, 04:49 PM
Joined Jun 2007
70 Posts
I Just got the parts yesterday. Once I get one working i'll post it up here.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 05:14 PM
Joined Jun 2007
70 Posts
Got one put together, a couple parts from mauser.com were not what I wanted (surface mount op-amp and LED with wrong leads!! last minute switch trying to avoid back orders) it seems to work on the pc, but I haven't gotten anything to show up when i connect it to my aurora 9. I'm guessing there's a few things i'll need to change in the pic code. Hopefully I get a reply from XPS tech support with a fix. I'd really like to get the aurora 9 working since it's friggin' cool, and I don't care to lug a laptop or netbook out to the field for my purposes.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 05:24 PM
Joined Jun 2007
70 Posts
sonofa!!
quick reply from XPS..
"Until we have our sensor interface available (allows Hitec and Eagletree sensors to be used), there won't be any support for the A9's display for the other functions." (signal strength and battery voltage are all we get)

soo lame..

man it's working really well too.. took a temp sensor from my spektrum rc car rig and got it tuned up.. got it fairly accurate and it adjusts fast!
Last edited by kneissl; Jun 10, 2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 09:04 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,701 Posts
What are you getting back from your sensor? Maybe I can make a quick change so you can see it in one of the A9's info windows.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:23 PM
Joined Jun 2007
70 Posts
Jim, That would be so great! right now i'm getting temp, voltage and current.. If I had to pick one it would be voltage, so I could monitor the battery before the esc. If I have time in the near future I plan to add rpm.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:07 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,701 Posts
Can you provide me with exactly how you are outputting the data from the sensors (what you are seeing on the Scanner display)?
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member