HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2013, 03:16 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,108 Posts
Thats fantastic Steve, well done. That splash of red has made all the difference!
I'm a single channel enthusiast too, we have quite a S/C renaissance over here in blighty, and theres a strong following in Australia too. The RC mags have picked up on it and we get the odd mention and event report printed.
Earlier we had our clubs second Single Channel and Retro R/C event, we had a huge turnout and the weather was perfect! Here's a brief video of the day:
PANDAS Single-Channel & Retro Radio Fly-In 16th June 2013 (10 min 29 sec)

There's a lot more S/C related stuff on www.singlechannel.co.uk and on the associated [Youtube channel]

Thanks for posting this thread!
Cheers
Phil
phil_g is online now Find More Posts by phil_g
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2013, 05:19 PM
Palo Alto, California, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,067 Posts
That was a great video Phil! Lots of beautiful old models and radios and all flying quite well in that wind. Where I live in California it's hard to find a place less than 1 hour drive away where I can regularly run a gas or diesel engine, so I don't get to fly much besides electric or sailplanes in the local park.

I learned to fly R/O in the 70's on a Mattel pulse system, but my first attempt was with an escapement radio and I failed miserably! My recent effort was my sweet revenge on all that frustration 40 years ago. I might give one of your modern R/O systems a try, I really like the challenge of simple controls and a small transmitter.

Thanks!

Steve
mlbco is offline Find More Posts by mlbco
Old Oct 25, 2013, 07:13 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Joined Jul 2007
1,108 Posts
Here's Shauns Mattel pulse propo set, still works fine after all these years:

Cheers
Phil
Last edited by phil_g; Oct 25, 2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 08:09 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,067 Posts
I have a bunch of Mattel's that still work too! I flew one last month in another .020 model I built in 1991. Pulse R/O is much easier than escapement flying.

Here's a portion of my RC collection. Everything in the picture is in working condition. The old Kraft radio once belonged to Dr. R.T. Jones, a famous aerodynamicist who discovered the benefits of swept wings in the 1940's and then invented oblique wing sweep designs. I had the honor of knowing him before he passed away and he gave me all his old radio gear.

Steve
Old Oct 25, 2013, 08:16 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Joined Jul 2007
1,108 Posts
Lovely, and all in such good condition! I particularly like the Controlaire GG set. I've just acquired a Gallatrol GG setup which I'll be looking into very soon. My pal Shaun flies pulse-propo using an Adams Baby magnetic actuator on his Spektrum DX7 ! I do an inline pulser which converts the servo signal from the rx into pulses that flap the Adams just like the old days. Theres a couple of Youtube videos of it on channel PHILG2864

Incidentally Steve, its interesting that your setup was one-press-for-left, two-for-right.
Over here the most popular compound escapements by far were the British-made Elmics, all of which were one-for-right, two-for-left, and thats how the vast majority of S/C models were set up (and still are) over here.
To explain to the unconverted (unconverted yet!... resistance is futile!) this was mechanically enforced by the design of the escapement and wasnt easily reversed. Consequently most American S/C models with Babcocks and such were one-for-left, two-for-right, whilst almost all British models (Europe hadn't been discovered back then...) were the opposite.
When motorised actuators became available (what we'd now call a 'servo') of course you could have either, there was no enforced direction, and whilst a few people did then use the American sequence, the Elmic sequence was by then pretty much accepted as standard over here.
Imagine me handing over my transmitter to you mid flight, without mentioning the reversed rudder!
Could have been scary, but its only the same as today's choice of mode1 or mode2
Old Oct 25, 2013, 09:29 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,067 Posts
I noticed my rudder action was reversed compared to most of the old books and magazines I read on the subject. I mounted my torque rod pivot below the escapement and most diagrams show it above, this is the reason for my reversed controls. I found this installation easier to build so I stuck with it.

I recently range tested my Controlaire GG system and it showed excellent range. I may have to build a model for it someday..

Thanks,

Steve
Old Oct 26, 2013, 03:03 AM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_g View Post
...Consequently most American S/C models with Babcocks and such were one-for-left, two-for-right, whilst almost all British models (Europe hadn't been discovered back then...) were the opposite....
Phil, I respectfully beg to differ.
I learned to fly RC with Babcock and Varicomp escapements in 1963 and clearly remember that the standard sequence always was "one for right, two for left".
It is given as such in the 1962 Varicomp instructions, see attachment.
This is also how I still fly my Mini Champ with its Elmic Compact escapement, by the way.
And at the VRCS meetings when old-timers are handed the transmitter, they all still remember to key one for right, two for left.
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Oct 26, 2013, 03:42 AM
Who let the dogs out?
Joined Jul 2007
1,108 Posts
Thanks Jean-Marie, you're quite right - sorry the Babcock was the first American escapement that came into my head, I hadnt actually checked.
Purely out of interest, which one are you using Steve? maybe an OS? Mounting it inverted shouldnt reverse the throw - it being a rotary device.
I do remember one glider back then which had an underfin and the torque-rod bent downwards rather than up, which reversed the rudder.
It is strange that rubber-powered escapements are also making a comeback -we saw several at this years S/C event, all flew perfectly well!
I think the attraction is partly for their simplicity, but mostly because of the reassuring noise they make! (which comes across very well in your video!)
Cheers
Phil
Last edited by phil_g; Oct 26, 2013 at 04:12 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:29 AM
Joined Jan 2003
1,067 Posts
Phil,

Here's a set of drawings explaining what I meant regarding how the torque rod installation can be changed to reverse the rudder direction on an escapement. My model has the torque rod bearing on the bottom and is reversed from the usual convention.

Steve
Old Oct 27, 2013, 06:34 AM
Who let the dogs out?
Joined Jul 2007
1,108 Posts
Ah of course, that would do it. I was thinking of the Elmic style where the bearing is integral to the escapement, and turning it upside down turns the whole mechanism upside down!

Old Oct 27, 2013, 09:00 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,674 Posts
That looks like it's straight out of the 1972 Keilkraft Handbook!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:24 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Joined Jul 2007
1,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
That looks like it's straight out of the 1972 Keilkraft Handbook!
Caught bang to rights, Guv... I'll come quietly Colonel...
Last edited by phil_g; Oct 27, 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:51 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,674 Posts
Shouldn't that be bang-bang to rights.....?

(I'll get me coat......... )
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink