SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 06, 2013, 11:12 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Discussion
Who makes the shortest digital servo?

I'm looking to install some servos in the pod of my Polaris. I'm reworking things on my older plane and I've decided to give a rudder a try. I can get a pair of JR DS285s in there if I lay them down but that gets pretty long. If I can, I'd prefer to stand them up side by side. I'm thinking the DS188s would be still a little too tall. Is there another servo that is shorter?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2013, 01:20 PM
Retirement is good
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jun 2011
434 Posts
Short?

Mike, examples include ION DS57 at ~22x8.7mm, MKS DS65K at ~21x8.5mm including motor (yeah, big $$), JR DS188 at ~20x11.3mm and non-DS Dymond D47 at ~20x8.1mm. I've included widths because that's a big deal.

Below is my D47 install in an Orion with pull strings. Takes little space and has been solid. Shhhh... you can use pull/push if desired. Also, my proposed DS65K pull spring install intended for the Fr3aK when it gets here.

As said, width is important, but so is geometry (slanted) to conserve space. Hope this helps...

Dick
rofly is online now Find More Posts by rofly
Old May 06, 2013, 09:45 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
One of the things I find irritating is how the ser MFGs post the height of the case. I need the shortest distance from bottom of case to top of servo arm. If the MKS65 servos are shorter than DS188s they will probably work. Anyone out there know that answer?
Old May 06, 2013, 09:49 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,748 Posts
Its not a digital but the hitec servo is short

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=HITHS35S
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old May 06, 2013, 09:54 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLGjunkyard View Post
Its not a digital but the hitec servo is short

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=HITHS35S
They make a digital version called the 5035. Do you know if the stated 15.5mm is the overall height? Most seem to measure the case height. 15.5 mm seems pretty short.... Even for the case, now that I think about it. Hum... Might be a good possibility.
Old May 06, 2013, 10:02 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,748 Posts
Im not certain Wiz but I know they [hs35] is likely the shortest servo I have seen in that size servo. Hitec have nice gear sets to. Maybe the Hitec site has a diagram
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old May 06, 2013, 10:37 PM
Retirement is good
Joined Jun 2011
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
One of the things I find irritating is how the ser MFGs post the height of the case. I need the shortest distance from bottom of case to top of servo arm. If the MKS65 servos are shorter than DS188s they will probably work. Anyone out there know that answer?
That's really the question, Mike. So, I measured what I have: D47 total H = ~22mm. DS65K total H = ~25mm. The D47 versus ION DS57 is pictured below... big difference in H. Other guys will measure their stuff for you... right guys?
Old May 06, 2013, 10:55 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,357 Posts
The 285's are the same size as the 94800's from Airtronnics
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old May 06, 2013, 11:00 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp View Post
The 285's are the same size as the 94800's from Airtronnics
Yes and no. My old fuselage happily accepts the 94800s but 285s are a real struggle to get in there. The CASE is the same size, but the 285 output shaft and horns are considerably taller (.070" by my scale) than the 94800.

JR188s are pretty short. You wont' find anything usable for DLGs that's much smaller.

FWIW I tried some HS35s in a DLG. Not a good option for a 1.5M ship.

MKS DS65Ks are quite tall actually. Far more so than a 188 because the motor hangs out the bottom of the case.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Last edited by tom43004; May 06, 2013 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Added a picture
Old May 06, 2013, 11:02 PM
Wayne Wimbish
United States, MO, St Peters
Joined Aug 2008
55 Posts
Dick,

I got some Ion DS-57s for my Orion build thinking I needed digitals. I am not too thrilled with how tall they are since they will need to be single file to fit. The Orion was designed for the D47 and your build looks pretty sharp. Just how solid did you feel the D47s held up? Would you prefer the Ions if you were doing an Orion again or just stick with the D47s?

Wayne
wdwimbish is online now Find More Posts by wdwimbish
Old May 06, 2013, 11:52 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Are 188s shorter than D47s?... Anyone know?

I can tip the 188s and make them work.... Maybe I should just go with that I'd prefer 2 servos in the pod standing straight up and side by side. That is the easiest install and the most user friendly and the most space friendly. Why dont glider designers keep this in mind? Tom, wouldn't a SuperFr3aK pod effectively allow this IF the canopy opening was on the side instead of the top?
Old May 07, 2013, 12:06 AM
Retirement is good
Joined Jun 2011
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Are 188s shorter than D47s?... Anyone know?
Both cases are the same height. The arm on the DS188 is ~3mm so guessing total H of ~23mm. The D47 is 22mm total H, measured. The total H including motor for DS65K (Tom) is 25mm, measured. Agree with Tom, HS35 is half rated torque of these others, no top bearing, ??? centering. Size isn't always everything.

Of greater concern is the width. Really limits the options.
Old May 07, 2013, 12:21 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rofly View Post
Both cases are the same height. The arm on the DS188 is ~3mm so guessing total H of ~23mm. The D47 is 22mm total H, measured. The total H including motor for DS65K (Tom) is 25mm, measured. Agree with Tom, HS35 is half rated torque of these others, no top bearing, ??? centering. Size isn't always everything.

Of greater concern is the width. Really limits the options.
Width is an issue in the wings. Height in the pod. Ill just cant my 188s off to the side.

Thanks for everything, guys.
Old May 07, 2013, 12:33 AM
Retirement is good
Joined Jun 2011
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwimbish View Post
Dick,

I got some Ion DS-57s for my Orion build thinking I needed digitals. I am not too thrilled with how tall they are since they will need to be single file to fit. The Orion was designed for the D47 and your build looks pretty sharp. Just how solid did you feel the D47s held up? Would you prefer the Ions if you were doing an Orion again or just stick with the D47s?

Wayne
Wayne,

Not to sure about "sharp" but it works and thanks. Against the better judgement of many I use pull springs. I have flown every day, weather permitting (sunny CA... that's a bunch), for a year with zero problems on the D47s. Using DS09 SCDs in the wing.

To be clear I'm old, tired and sometimes grumpy... only launch to about 20.67 feet... but fly hard on 1S Lipo through a JR RG411BL Rx. The Orion is now a complete beater but still truckin'. You saw what will be used when I get freaky. Attached is my stringy adjustment thingy.

Dick
Old May 08, 2013, 11:40 AM
Wayne Wimbish
United States, MO, St Peters
Joined Aug 2008
55 Posts
Looks like you have backed up the servo arm with a bit of ply to give your screw something to bite into.
wdwimbish is online now Find More Posts by wdwimbish