SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 20, 2014, 06:28 PM
Joined Jul 2012
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebbian View Post
I'm sure it would work, it's not the normal way of doing things though!

I needed a very small 5V supply for my Naze, as my other BEC's were too big to fit on my frame...

So came up with this. It's just a 1 amp linear regulator with a 22 uF cap attached to it. Since the photo I put heatshrink all around it. Works really well.
This is nice Nebian, good thinking on using the capacitor. I was thinking of doing the same but was worried running 4s would heat up the regulator too much so I went with a pololu step down and added a capacitor to help clean it up. I think a liniar reg would probably provide cleaner power though.

BTW I'm trying to figure out hiw to clean up my video of some noise I'm getting.
I'm using a imersion rc 600mw vtx, 12v camera and minosd. The camera gets voltage from pololu 12v step up tapped from the vtx 5v output and the minosd is also tapped from the same 5v source.

Could anyone sugest the best place to place an lc filter in this circuit to help clean up the video output?
Any other suggestions that would help are welcome.
zenman is online now Find More Posts by zenman
Last edited by zenman; Nov 20, 2014 at 06:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2014, 09:48 PM
Tr3TopFlyer
Joined Aug 2013
509 Posts
Does anyone know how to interface a current sensor to the Naze? I think it connects to pin 5 or 6 but not sure what commands need to be issued or where it is documented.
chyoung is offline Find More Posts by chyoung
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:24 PM
Team WarpSquad
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Jan 2014
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenman View Post
This is nice Nebian, good thinking on using the capacitor. I was thinking of doing the same but was worried running 4s would heat up the regulator too much so I went with a pololu step down and added a capacitor to help clean it up. I think a liniar reg would probably provide cleaner power though.

BTW I'm trying to figure out hiw to clean up my video of some noise I'm getting.
I'm using a imersion rc 600mw vtx, 12v camera and minosd. The camera gets voltage from pololu 12v step up tapped from the vtx 5v output and the minosd is also tapped from the same 5v source.

Could anyone sugest the best place to place an lc filter in this circuit to help clean up the video output?
Any other suggestions that would help are welcome.
If you want the cleaner power of a linear regulator but the efficiency of a switcher then use both. Pololu has switching regulators that output a higher Voltage, choose one with at least a Volt higher the the linear output. Follow this with a low drop out linear regulator. Be sure to read the data sheet and include any recommended caps. Many of these linear regulators are much happier with a 0.1uF ceramic on both input and output pins.

The reason is that a linear regulator dissipates heat from the Voltage drop and current. If the drop is high and/or the current is high then the regulator gets hot.
Use the switcher to drop the Voltage without heat then smooth with the linear/caps.

Put an LC filter just between the Battery and the vTX. The worse noise is from the motors/escs. An LC filter between Pololu and camera may not hurt.
waltr is online now Find More Posts by waltr
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:27 PM
Re-kitting planes since 1990
Australia, WA, Beldon
Joined Jun 2013
1,425 Posts
Connect the USB cable to your board (but keep the other end not connected)
Short the two boot pins with some tweezers, then plug the USB connection into your computer with the other hand. The blue LED should come on.
Then remove your tweezers.

Now go into the firmware flasher, and tick the "No reboot sequence" button.

Flash as normal.

This process has worked for me in the past.
nebbian is online now Find More Posts by nebbian
Old Yesterday, 02:51 AM
Technical Geek
Joined Aug 2013
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Valkman View Post
It won't go into bootloader mode so I can't flash it. Is this correct?
It will not work with Chromes baseflight if that's what you mean.
I just tried that and got this
22:58:51 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 44
22:59:01 -- No configuration received within 10 seconds, communication failed
22:59:01 -- Serial port successfully closed
Quote:
Short the two boot pins with some tweezers, then plug the USB connection into your computer with the other hand. The blue LED should come on.

Flash as normal.

What he said. On the Naze I've had to try 5 times before it takes. And it some times it seems to help to hold the tweezers boot pads until you can Se flashing has started.
strips is online now Find More Posts by strips
Old Yesterday, 03:19 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strips View Post
What he said. On the Naze I've had to try 5 times before it takes. And it some times it seems to help to hold the tweezers boot pads until you can Se flashing has started.
... and make sure you've selected the correct input port on your PC -- I've had that message in the Baseflight Configurator when I've plugged into a different USB port from the one that I normally used. Port selection is at the top left of the screen.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Yesterday, 04:37 AM
Joined Nov 2011
407 Posts
Quote:

Flash as normal.

You are a star my friend!
The "No reboot sequence" did the trick. Well it seems to work!
The thing is when I short the pins, plug in the USB, I get nothing. When I remove the short the blue light comes on. I thought the light comes on as soon as you plug in the USB.

Thanks guys for all your help.
RCgroups saves the day again!
The Valkman is offline Find More Posts by The Valkman
Old Yesterday, 05:20 AM
Re-kitting planes since 1990
Australia, WA, Beldon
Joined Jun 2013
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Valkman View Post
You are a star my friend!

The "No reboot sequence" did the trick. Well it seems to work!

The thing is when I short the pins, plug in the USB, I get nothing. When I remove the short the blue light comes on. I thought the light comes on as soon as you plug in the USB.

Thanks guys for all your help.

RCgroups saves the day again!

Good to hear that you're up and running
nebbian is online now Find More Posts by nebbian
Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM
Joined Jul 2012
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltr View Post
If you want the cleaner power of a linear regulator but the efficiency of a switcher then use both. Pololu has switching regulators that output a higher Voltage, choose one with at least a Volt higher the the linear output. Follow this with a low drop out linear regulator. Be sure to read the data sheet and include any recommended caps. Many of these linear regulators are much happier with a 0.1uF ceramic on both input and output pins.

The reason is that a linear regulator dissipates heat from the Voltage drop and current. If the drop is high and/or the current is high then the regulator gets hot.
Use the switcher to drop the Voltage without heat then smooth with the linear/caps.

Put an LC filter just between the Battery and the vTX. The worse noise is from the motors/escs. An LC filter between Pololu and camera may not hurt.
Excellent, thanks Waltr!
zenman is online now Find More Posts by zenman
Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM
Singapore
Joined Apr 2014
60 Posts
Hi guys,

Can anyone educate me on throttle settings on the Naze32? For our Taranis, what's the range we should set on the CLI? What's is it dependant on? Some say depends on the number of cells you use, some say depending on what motors you are using...I'm confused. Thanks.
Anchorkee is offline Find More Posts by Anchorkee
Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Technical Geek
Joined Aug 2013
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorkee View Post
Hi guys,

Can anyone educate me on throttle settings on the Naze32? For our Taranis, what's the range we should set on the CLI? What's is it dependant on? Some say depends on the number of cells you use, some say depending on what motors you are using...I'm confused. Thanks.
I'd try to get as close to 1000 - 1500 - 2000 from the Taranis as possible. Then just keep the defaults on Baseflight/Cleanflight.
strips is online now Find More Posts by strips
Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM
jd_
https://www.youtube.com/user/j
Joined Sep 2012
97 Posts
Quick Test Filght New Naze32 FC / Blackout Mini H Quad Clone (3 min 38 sec)
jd_ is offline Find More Posts by jd_
Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM
just about Anything can fly
Australia, NSW, Coffs Harbour
Joined Aug 2012
241 Posts
question.my naze and my laptop fried at the same time "not connected".i do have my settings save to backup but they are not compatible with the new baseflight i got,any way other than finding and installing the old baseflight?if i can find it .backup dated 18.10.14

cheers AM
AERIAL MADMAN is offline Find More Posts by AERIAL MADMAN
Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM
just about Anything can fly
Australia, NSW, Coffs Harbour
Joined Aug 2012
241 Posts
ok so i have opened the file in notepad and it dose have figures there am i correct to assume that the pids simply read down the list ?
AERIAL MADMAN is offline Find More Posts by AERIAL MADMAN