SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 09, 2007, 01:56 AM
Ventura, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,854 Posts
Discussion
Cellpro with OLED display retrofit

I just retrofitted by brother's Cellpro charger with a 16x2 line OLED display. The pictures are arranged in the order that I performed the retrofit.

- the OLED 16x2 line display is dimensionally a drop in replacement
- the OLED 16x2 line display is NOT electrically a drop in replacement. Pin 3 on a normal LCD is the contrast pin - the closer to ground the more contrast. This OLED display is opposite. The closer to +5V for pin 3, the brighter the display.
Pin 3 must be cut or removed from the Cellpro header strip and then a resistor is tacked onto the OLED pads themselves between pins 2 and 3.

The datasheet says pin 3 is nominally 2.5V which I found to be a bit on the dim side. I used a 4.7K resistor from pin 3 to pin 2 which gave me 3.5V on pin 3 and very nice brightness.

- the datasheet says this display consumes nominally 15mA of current. I confirmed that using my clamp on DC ammeter. I measured the temp of the 5V regulator on the Cellpro with my finger and notice no detectable rise in temperature so it isn't being taxed.

I took pictures of the OLED with and without flash. I did this to show that even under bright lights you can still read the display.

It's quite gorgeous of a display. My brother's cellpro didn't suffer from a poor LCD to begin with unlike mine, but now it looks better!

Thanks to the 'TheDude0901' for pointing out the availability of OLED displays in standard LCD character display packages when he retrofitted his Triton display first.

I bought my display here (as he did too)
http://microcontrollershop.com/produ...oducts_id=1468

Update:
If anyone wants, I'll send you 3 each of the 4.7K resistor and 0.1uf caps.
All you have to do is PM me for my address and then send me a self addressed stamped envelope in the snail mail (fill out an envelope to yourself, put a stamp on it, fold it up and put it in another envelope addressed to me, put a stamp on that and send it to me).

They're cheap enough I can give them away for a bit. 3 qty of each so you can give them to your friends or if you lose one.

Dave
Probedude is offline Find More Posts by Probedude
Last edited by Probedude; Mar 18, 2007 at 07:16 PM. Reason: adding in info on parts
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2007, 04:02 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
This kind of display is beutifull on any charger. Clearly readable on the sun as well as in the dark... They don't consume too much power, so they are really direct replacements of non-backlit ones.
I am not sure what high temperature on direct sun could hurt this display? We'll see.

Lifetime of PLED / OLED displays is quite short, they will fade away like EL backligh foil,
but then it can be simply exchanged for new one. I expect 5 years of intensive use, but I may be wrong. It should depend on brightness.

Dave, I have no courage for purchase of 128x64 graphic OLED/PLED module, as there could be different controllers... however... ICE needs better display. I see it on Your last picture in the background.. mine has EL backlit allready, but OLED are much better.
In case You'll find which kind of controller is compatible with ICE, please let us know.
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Mar 09, 2007, 06:08 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
6,291 Posts
Dave,

Super tutorial. Super pictures. I wish all contributors would be as meticulous as you.

I don't have a desoldering iron. Radio Shack has an inexpensive one (about $11.00) that uses a rubber bulb to supply the suction. Any opinion about it?

1. Would solder sucker (desoldering braid) work as well?

2. What is the source for the capacitor and resistor you used? (Radio Shack?)

3. What wattage iron do you use for circuit board work?

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Mar 09, 2007, 08:19 AM
Joined Aug 2006
758 Posts
Great info & pics Dave, many thanks for taking the time to post this

This is what the displays should look like from the factory. It's a shame that what is otherwise a great charger, is let down by the poor displays. Mine is one of the more recent A123 versions. I was hoping the screen would have improved a bit over the earlier non A123 models, but sadly mine is also hard to see clearly.

Well it is at the moment, it won't be soon...
ukpaul is online now Find More Posts by ukpaul
Old Mar 09, 2007, 11:42 AM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,870 Posts
Dave,

Thanks for a great how-to...

The picture sequence is perfect!

Bob
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2007, 12:18 PM
Ventura, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coro
Lifetime of PLED / OLED displays is quite short, they will fade away like EL backligh foil, but then it can be simply exchanged for new one. I expect 5 years of intensive use, but I may be wrong. It should depend on brightness.
Yeah, I thought about that aspect when I commented on TheDude's retrofit of his Triton but then realized my usage of the Cellpro is pretty intermittent. I only power it up when charging my batteries maybe 10 hours a week? At 10 hours a week and 5000 hours half life for brightness (this is an assumption) I'd have 500 weeks of lifetime before it dims to half brightness - almost 10 years of service. By then I'll have the next latest greatest charger/technology out there (Mr. Fusion?)

I didn't see a lifetime value in the datasheet. The 5000 number above is what I remember EL backlighting to be when it was new technology (I think it's around 10K hours these days).

Coro,
I'm too afraid to try and peel off that reflective backing on my ICE to try and backlight it. I really don't want to break that display.
Dave
Old Mar 09, 2007, 12:30 PM
Ventura, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1
I don't have a desoldering iron. Radio Shack has an inexpensive one (about $11.00) that uses a rubber bulb to supply the suction. Any opinion about it?
I think I still have one of these from many many years ago. It works fine but the tips wear out and the unit is prone to clogging. If you have one brand new I'm sure it would work fine for this application. I'd tap it on the edge of a plastic trash can to knock the solder to the tip and then press the bulb to expell the solder. Still you'll need to occasionally push a steel wire in there to hog out an opening in the solder when it clogs.

Quote:
1. Would solder sucker (desoldering braid) work as well?
I haven't had much luck with desoldering braid on double sided PC boards. You can try.

Quote:
2. What is the source for the capacitor and resistor you used? (Radio Shack?)
I use them in my other products so I have reels of it. Bought the latest reels off Ebay, but other than that you'll need to go to a mail order place - Radio Shack doesn't have SMT parts anymore.
That said, you don't need to use SMT parts. Get a 1/4 watt or 1/8 watt resistor and a leaded cap and solder it on the LCD pads and carefully locate the cap and resistor so it doesn't short anything when the cover is on.

Quote:
3. What wattage iron do you use for circuit board work?
You can get away with a 15W iron - like Radio Shack carries (dont' know if they still do). It's a grounded tip iron. I've got a Metcal MX500, it's only $600 new (!!) but you don't need that. Any low wattage iron will work. If you're doing the solder wick/braid, a 15W iron will likely NOT work since the wicking also wicks the heat away from your tip.

Dave
Old Mar 09, 2007, 12:47 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,885 Posts
Wow great display prices.

I did a stepper control box 5-6 yrs ago with early atmel 8515 and used a 4x20
that cost me nearly $50.

Been waiting for years to see OLEDs in the TVs and Display markets
Where are they ? ? ?
Being suppressed IMHO

sigh .....
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Mar 09, 2007, 05:10 PM
Ventura, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Been waiting for years to see OLEDs in the TVs and Display marketsWhere are they ? ? ?
Being suppressed IMHO
sigh .....
I actually work next door to an OLED company/R&D facility. Even have friends that work there. The problem has been lifetime issues, mostly due to packaging difficulties (sealing out the environment).

They've been talking about a 'rollup' big screen display that you can pull down from your ceiling for years. Someday I hope.

Dave
Old Mar 09, 2007, 10:48 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,448 Posts
nice mod!

how does it look in daylight and in sunlight?
noobee is offline Find More Posts by noobee
Old Mar 10, 2007, 12:56 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,885 Posts
I had such High Hopes fpr OLEDS too.

I even bought a cheaper CRT instead of a Flatscreen monitor
becasue I'll be danged if I'd pay yadydayda ...
when OLEDS were promised to be so cheap and BIG !

Sigh ... still waiting !

At least the CRT helps keep me warm :-)))
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Mar 16, 2007, 07:05 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,945 Posts
Well, Got my OLED Cellpro 4s up and running. The display is simply awesome

Thanks again DAVE!
steve1814 is online now Find More Posts by steve1814
Last edited by steve1814; Mar 16, 2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 07:23 PM
Ventura, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1814
Well, Got my OLED Cellpro 4s up and running. The display is simply awesome

Thanks again Dave!
Very nice Steve! It's trippy to me that the OLED display is SOOO nice that it almost looks fake in the pictures!!

Dave
Last edited by Probedude; Mar 16, 2007 at 07:55 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:51 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,448 Posts
how does it look in broad daylight? will it be too dim?
noobee is offline Find More Posts by noobee
Old Mar 16, 2007, 11:00 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Apr 2004
4,930 Posts
That's so awsome. Wish I can do it, but I can't find the 0.1uF cap or the 4.7K 0805 sized resistor anywhere.
EddieNewYork is offline Find More Posts by EddieNewYork