HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2002, 04:24 PM
Maple Valley WA, USA
Joined Jun 2002
24 Posts
Speed controls???

What is the best speed control for the Speed 300 on the Hornet?

If I get enough money I might upgrade to a Hacker 20-22S Brushless motor. What ESC would be best for that? I would kinda like a governor on it, but its not required.

Thanks
Brian_Bills is offline Find More Posts by Brian_Bills
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2002, 08:00 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
For the Speed 300 get a Castle Creations - Pixie 7P . It is a programmable controller which means you can set the low voltage BEC cutoff to match what battery pack (NiCad, NiMh, Li-Ion) you are using, or turn off the cutoff feature for heli use.

Currently the Schulze 18he or 20he ESC/controller comes in near the top of the list pending release of the new Castle Creations
Phoenix-10 controller. The beauty of this new controller is that it allows you to set the cutoff voltage, current limiting, Brake, Throttle (FP helis/aircraft, and fixed (governor mode) for CP helis) and motor timing. It also will cost less than the Schulze.

Regards,
Roger

Note: error, changed Phoenix-25 to Phoenix-10
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Last edited by Wild Moose; Jul 01, 2002 at 11:41 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2002, 08:18 PM
Maple Valley WA, USA
Joined Jun 2002
24 Posts
Could you expand on cutoff voltage, current limiting, Brake for the ESC features? I fly a Piccolo and a gasser currently and have no idea what these mean and how to set them.
Old Jul 01, 2002, 08:30 PM
Maple Valley WA, USA
Joined Jun 2002
24 Posts
When will the Phoenix 25 be avaliable and how much will it be?

Thanks
Old Jul 01, 2002, 10:09 PM
jk
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,281 Posts
i think that the Phoenix 10H is a large enough BL esc for the Hornet/B20-22s combo. i have an early non-governor Phoenix10 that i've been beta testing and it worked fairly well.

i also have 2 Schulze 18be's and an 18he. i actually prefer the 18be (non-gov) for duration and power out of all of my BL escs though.
jk is offline Find More Posts by jk
Old Jul 01, 2002, 11:58 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
John thanks for catching my error on the Phoenix controller.

Brian, in regards to your questions;

Battery Cutoff: This is where an ESC will shutdown operation of a motor due to low output voltage from your battery pack. This saves your batteries as discharging them too low can cause irreparable damage.

Current limiting can come in handy if you were to 'stall' out a motor (read crash without shutting down throttle) and will help prevent a meltdown of your wiring/motor/etc.

Brake circuitry is used to stop a motor (works typically by using the back EMF of a motor). Not necessary for a heli but more so for fixed wing aircraft(and cars obviously) where you would want to halt the rotation of the prop for those models without landgear.
If you do get an ESC with a brake, it is highly recommended you either disable the brake circuitry manually or just get an esc without one (or programmable).

For your 'PIC' the above would apply but for your gasser it wouldn't.

These features mentioned only apply to what I've learned about the Phoenix controller so far.

Regards,
Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Jul 02, 2002, 12:15 AM
Maple Valley WA, USA
Joined Jun 2002
24 Posts
Wouldn't the Phoenix 10 be more suited for the Hornet rather than the 25? The 25 is heavier and looks as though it's "geared" at more amps?

Thanks for your replys