HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2005, 06:28 PM
Joined Apr 2005
18 Posts
Anyone know about Cyclone wingeron?

Found this online, looks to be a Chinese made 72" wingeron crunchie. About $140 with shipping from Hong Kong

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=422_222&products_id=12063

Cyclone
Aerobatic Glider

# Wing Span: 1841 mm(72.5 inch)
# Length: 1092 mm(43 inch)
# Wing Area: 426 sq in.
# Airfoil: Eppler-374
# Flying Weight: 907 g(32 oz.)
# Radio: 2 channel, 2 servo, Wingeron, elevator Flying condition: Slope (Package Included B-25 Soft carrying bag)

Kit features:
# High performance sailplane
# ARC-Ready-To Cover
# White Gel-coated Fiberglass fuselage
# Factory built foam balsa wing
# Wingeron control
# Hardware included
# Size: 1084X220X70 mm
BillHard is offline Find More Posts by BillHard
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2005, 08:04 PM
Perth
Joined Apr 2002
1,122 Posts
I have one of these still in the box. Mine has an unpainted fuse, so the advertised one must be a later run.

I had 3 to choose from and the other two had warped wings. I doubt the wing sheeting is balsa, unless it is of some super hard variety that I have not seen before. The cores were probably not mated well to the TE stock before it was sheeted, because if you hold and use some light to cast shadows over the wing, you can see a dip on the top surface of the wing between the high point and the TE.

Having said all that, I still bought it anyway as I got it for a song and I will probably only use the fuse and cut a new wing for it. The hardware seemed decent, but it will probably require a fitout to confirm it.

Out of the box it is A/E only, but it should be easy to add R (Contender style) if need be.
Alfred is offline Find More Posts by Alfred
Old May 21, 2005, 09:00 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
8,815 Posts
That is another AMD pos. The original Cyclone was a Samuri copy. I assume SIG sent them a nastygram because the shape of the Vertical stab changed. AMD kits are notoriously poor quality. Warped wings are not uncommon, the wood sheeting (poplar I think or the worlds heaviest balsa) is not very consistant. You will get some that's very heavy and some that's light. Not a problem if the sheeting on both wings match but it oflten does not. I have flown a AMD Cyclone and that one flew pretty well. I Skyking RC Shrike is a better bet if you want a wingeron. Not quite as ARF but the quality is much better
http://www.skykingrcproducts.com/rcp...on/shrike.html

TFLG
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Old May 21, 2005, 09:41 PM
Austin, Tx
Joined Nov 2003
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLG
I Skyking RC Shrike is a better bet if you want a wingeron. Not quite as ARF but the quality is much better
http://www.skykingrcproducts.com/rcp...on/shrike.html

TFLG
The Shrike is a pitcheron

Steven
Pegasus is offline Find More Posts by Pegasus
Old May 21, 2005, 09:48 PM
ALL IN !
Carlsbad, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus
The Shrike is a pitcheron

Steven

So whats the point ?

TFLG is basically saying stay away from it and thats enough for me..
Louied is offline Find More Posts by Louied
Old May 21, 2005, 09:50 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Dec 2002
263 Posts
cylone

I have two of these and 3 sets of wings...it took that many to come up with 2 sets.. warped, gum wood is what I think they use...haven't put em together yet..I suspect you will get what you pay for. I have a AMD 4 meter discus that was a true piece of crap and a real challenge to build...but that is another story.
kevin
kevin kavaney is online now Find More Posts by kevin kavaney