grrrrrrrrr. santa ana winds
mkmkmk13 is online now Find More Posts by mkmkmk13
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2008, 06:25 PM
$#|+
United States, CA, Orange
Joined May 2007
1,592 Posts
flew my voodoo today at prado in chino, ca (maiden was done at elderado park in lon beach)
setup was

HET edf 3w
flight power evo lite 1345 3s 18c 28c burst
4.75x4.75
common sense rc 75 amp opto
cc bec
ar6100e
DX7
2x hitec hs-45 servos
hs 55
flew around 140-150 mph

changed the prop later to 5.25x6.25
flew around 170-180 mph
flies wonderfully
no problems at all
at 180 mph 2mm rates is too much!

i will try the 2200 eXtreme V2 tommorow

only problem is i know i will exceed the 400 ft hight limit with that battery as i wanna keep it high just incase

this is the fastest plane i every flew
i love it!!
btw maiden flight had a funny story
ill let u know when i get the pics up
Old Jan 13, 2008, 03:27 AM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,968 Posts
Congrtaulations on your maiden flight Moe!

The 3w is a nice motor to maiden the plane. You might reconsider the cheap 2w20 for a big upgrade later

good luck! Erik
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Jan 13, 2008, 07:44 AM
Ain't Dutch? Ain't Mutch!
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts

Joe
Kimble_Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Kimble_Schmitz
Old Jan 13, 2008, 08:33 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,262 Posts
Isn't the Het 3w the same or less than a Mega 16/15/3? If so with that set up you were inclding a 20+mph tail wind...

Use a 4.75x5.5, more rpm, more speed than either the props you tried. Also won't over strain the motor.
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:11 AM
UN Earth peoples true enemy
Euroland
Joined Jan 2004
1,797 Posts
RE:About Kimble_Schmitz love the nose job whats the story home brew or of the shelf

RE:mkmkmk13 speeds ???? have you radar to say the speeds??

Ralf
treehog is offline Find More Posts by treehog
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:50 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by treehog
RE:About Kimble_Schmitz love the nose job whats the story home brew or of the shelf

RE:mkmkmk13 speeds ???? have you radar to say the speeds??

Ralf
Obviously not... or at least averaged for both directions.... could have been one way with a tail wind though... or a really steep dive but I don't think that would get those speeds either...
Old Jan 13, 2008, 08:01 PM
$#|+
Joined May 2007
1,592 Posts
Wind: none
Dive: yes
steep: no
who makes the 4.75x5.5, cant find it. i saw a 4x7 folder prop (no spinner for it though)
2w20: i need to get used to flying this more comfortably first

Bushnell Speedster II Radar Speed Gun for baseballs
had to go really low and very close one of the club members acutally told us not to, i am sure u know why, ill have some video next time, i dought this thing could be dopplered cuz its not very loud!

one problem: its really hard to slow this plane down to land, even with flaps, they were down and someone told me try them up with down elevator (kinda scary)
on one of the passes i actually touched down and scrapped the bottom on a paved runway
Old Jan 13, 2008, 08:21 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
4,971 Posts
Mkmkmk13,what is the weight?
Yuri.
Dbox is online now Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Jan 13, 2008, 08:29 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,262 Posts
Tower hobbies...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXPJG8&P=K

The HET motor must be better than the Mega then, good speeds...
Old Jan 13, 2008, 09:32 PM
$#|+
Joined May 2007
1,592 Posts
thx evand
dbox no scale yet
but i know my 75 amp opto esc is a little heavy
i also shuved some foam in there so stuff wont move around and to get the cg right
Old Jan 13, 2008, 09:59 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
4,971 Posts
Too bad,thanx anyhow.
Yuri.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:54 AM
UN Earth peoples true enemy
Euroland
Joined Jan 2004
1,797 Posts
Hope to get out this weekend been tied up DECEMBER and early January cant wait

RE:mkmkmk13
on one of the passes i actually touched down and scrapped the bottom on a paved runway

way to go thats the spirt

I usualy enter a shalllow dive dropping 1 foot per second ease back the stick and reduce drop rate to 6 inches per second or less until I am very very close to the deck and reef it up and have got really close to the deck but havnt kissed it yet with a voodoo but have don that with my f5d limited

Wakes upthe rest of the club

I found coming down the runway flat and level three feet up on hot days on hot tarmac or concrete half way down a runway the fast crafts f5d and bigger f5b can sometimes suddly lose 3 feet kiss and go back up never lost a plane but gave up this practice with bigger planes as it wasnt intended

The shallow dive with reducing dive syndrom gives precision pull up as close as a few inches without kissing the deck well so far it has

and 150mph plus a few inches from the deck usauly get a big WOW from the club guys as that looks so very fast that close to the deck

Glad to hear the speeds confirmedwith radar

Doppler they say works havent tried it myself

Landing for me go high switch off and glide around for a long long time until speed go down to mayby 60mph (hard to stop falling asleep and easy to lose sight of plane at slow speeds ) and then I dont use flaps or brakes anymore I just settle into steepish decent from thirty feet up and aproach landing zone similar to runway close contact pass method except I aim for grass sections and at the last second try to pull up a tad but usualy hit the deck at 40MPH plus and tumble a bit or mostly stop dead and every third flight find it is nessary to do a replacement for the nylon 3mm bolts I use which are snapped and if plane gets too flat and floats along and dosnt land and goes to far I fire up motor and try again as a fast very flat skidding for ever landing often ends up in severe cart wheels and more likly to break stuff than a more aggressive nose in terra firma stop dead landing

Its not cheap in 3mm plastic bolts but works for me after several hundred landing my favorit solution but I have sticky tape also holding on the wings as I dont trust plastic bolts for inflight loads and suspect bolts get snapped in flight loads as well so it is strong tape sevaral tapes or better reinforced tape

In some runways at some clubs a net is at end of runway so land just in front say 20 feet or less slide along or slide a bit and get caught in net or sometimes just arrive into net but thats more difficult to ensure with the typical low down nets to catch larger planes overshooting runways

I use mostly home brew folders cut down modified broken blades from 4.7*4.7 which makes I think a 4.7*5 prop or a cut down 6*6 to make I think a 4.7*6

I would prefer to get ready made 4.7*4.7 but cant source them

I havent yet tryed the APC 5*5 folders cut down to 4.7* 5

Where did you see folders 4* 7 blades without a spinner??? that would be interesting

EDIT: To figure your weight from components

http://www.commonsenserc.com/page.ph...ermediate.html

the opto 75 ESC dosnt have a BEC so are you using a UBER BEC and if so what type and weight or do you use 4 cells of say 110mha or two lipos like 100mha to supply power for RC unit

My questimate weight for you would be still be less than 500 grams probably 450 grams

The bigger props with deeper pitch will probably give faster speeds in steep dives but less speed in flat level WOT flights

For take off I generaly use bungee

Ralf
treehog is offline Find More Posts by treehog
Last edited by treehog; Jan 16, 2008 at 01:28 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:25 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
4,971 Posts
Ralf,Your info is priceless,for rest is a Mastercard
Yuri.
Old Feb 06, 2008, 02:44 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
4,971 Posts
VooDoo mods.

About to finish my VooDoo.
Could not resist and moved servos in to the wing.
No mess inside the fuse .
Yuri.