HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2013, 04:48 PM
United States, IL, St Charles
Joined May 2011
53 Posts
Discussion
Griffwerks MX

I ordered a Griffwerks MX from Lou @ www.griffwerks.com and received it a few short days later. The kit was exceptionally complete with a lot of finishing touches already complete. It was great that the wing / tail were complete with CF tubes already glued in, motor tube mount installed, pushrods complete with zbends installed and servos complete with EZ connectors already installed and servos centered!

The airbrushing on this plane is very impressive. I picked out a LOUD scheme because I have a soft spot for orange planes and the visibility on this plane is awesome! Sure you can go for a more muted scheme but the Orange, Yellow and Purple really stands out in the air!

I passed the plane on to a good friend ErnieB for building and he ripped through the build in a DAY! He is an experience foam builder but we were all impressed how quickly the plane fell together. The level of completeness of the kit is impressive. The only change from stock was to add a few more carbon fiber rods to the nose to help stabilize the nose / motor area.

There are multiple build threads on this plane so we are not going to go through the build details but Iím sure Ernie will chime in with a few pointers.

We maidened the Griffwerks today and WOW! It is a fun plane to fly, very aerobatic, stable and full on 3D capable. Iím running the 1500kv setup on a 9x4.7 prop with 2S 450 batteries. I only get about 4 minutes of flight time but she is nice and floaty. This setup would be great for a calm day outside or a big indoor area. I did try the setup on 3S and an 8x3.8 prop as well and she had more power to cut through the wind but since today was calm I ended up flying most flights on 2S.

I will be posting pictures and videos from todayís fun below!
sthill is offline Find More Posts by sthill
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2013, 04:59 PM
Joined May 2011
53 Posts
Steve's Griffwerks MX Maiden (2 min 48 sec)

Griffwerks MX (4 min 46 sec)

Griffwerks MX (3 min 22 sec)
Last edited by sthill; Sep 14, 2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Adding video!
Old Sep 14, 2013, 05:16 PM
3RN13
United States, IL, West Chicago
Joined Feb 2008
353 Posts
Hi Steve

The only thing I would change on this plane is to offer longer servo horns for the rudder and elevator as an option.

She builds very easily and quickly, Lou and the Griffwerks crew did a lot of preliminary work for you already.

The entire plane was assembled with Welders glue.

From box to maiden in less than 24 hours.

Thanks Steve and Lou and the Griffwerks crew!

Ernie
ernie b is offline Find More Posts by ernie b
Last edited by ernie b; Sep 14, 2013 at 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 14, 2013, 08:35 PM
Joined May 2011
53 Posts
Additional Pictures
Old Sep 15, 2013, 02:38 PM
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Aug 2012
85 Posts
I love my Griffwerks MX. Every time I go to the field everyone asks about it. Fly mine with a 9x4.7 slow fly and 450mah 3s. I opted for the 1300kv setup and love it. Perfect for a front yard too Congrats on your plane
enrico0273 is offline Find More Posts by enrico0273
Old Sep 15, 2013, 03:37 PM
Joined May 2011
53 Posts
I agree, these planes are real “head turners” and are super stable in the air. Everyone who flew it was very positive about the airframe.

I debated between the two power setups and went with the 1500kv motor as I have a TON of 2S 450 packs and figured it is getting close to indoor season. I fly at a large golf dome so this setup will on 2S will be awesome inside. I may swap out the 1500kv motor for a 1300kv motor and 3S next spring. At this size a replacement motor is probably < $15.

Great fun, thanks Griffwerks crew!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 08:46 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,504 Posts
Received my "Tiger" from Griffwerks. Wife was present when I opened the box. Usually I get a small comment on "What, another airplane?" When I removed the packing paper and revealed the contents she said "WOW !!!" So did I.

The graphics on this plane is awesome. The colors are so bright you almost need sun glasses to look at them. Looking forward to the build and in a few hours the flying. Going to try E-600 glue from Wally World on this one. Reportedly similar to Welders which is getting difficult to find and does yellow over time

Power will be the famous "Blue Wonder", a 1300kv outrunner that has always been a good performer for me. Will run on 3S until the snow flys then 2S in the gym with a bigger prop.

Nice airplane Griffwerks, really nice.....

RonJ
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Old Sep 16, 2013, 07:24 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2004
523 Posts
So glad you guys are enjoying your planes - we aim to please.
Hopefully people are getting the idea that we are an alternative to "expensive" foam planes. Love the pics and videos - thanks for posting.
Lou
Griffwerks.com
asat is online now Find More Posts by asat
Old Sep 16, 2013, 08:59 PM
Joined May 2011
53 Posts
RonJ,

I hear you regarding the paint on these planes! It is some of the most vibrant paint on foam Iíve seen. The person who airbrushes these has some serious skills. I still canít believe they can cut, airbrush and half assemble these kits for the price, great job Griffwerks crew!

Iíve heard great things about the blue wonder 1300 motor and Iím sure it will pull her around the sky with authority. You are really going to enjoy flying this plane. She just goes where you point her and doesnít complain about anything.

Iíll be interested to hear about your experience with E-600 glue. I stocked up on Welders when it was being phased out at Lowes and find it ďOKĒ. My favorite foam glue to date is still Beaconís Foam-Tac, it is flexible, has a great applicator and only a mild odor but I canít find it locallyÖ

Enjoy the build and fly safe
Old Sep 17, 2013, 08:36 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,504 Posts
sthill,

First use of the E-6000 gllue. Laid a narrow bead on each surface to be join\ed. Cut a finger off a latex glove and spread the glue out thin. Let set 2-3 minutes and joined. Positioned my weights and let set a couple hours before testing. Set up good but let cure overnight before really testing. I like this glue. Dries cl;ear and stays flexible, and....you get a big tube for only a few bucks. It seems a little thicker that Welders, but the price is right, and you can find it at your local Wal-Mart in the craft section.

RonJ
Last edited by RonJ; Sep 17, 2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:43 AM
3RN13
Joined Feb 2008
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ View Post
sthill,

First use of the E-6000 gllue. Laid a narrow bead on each surface to be join\ed. Cut a finger off a latex glove and spread the glue out thin. Let set 2-3 minutes and joined. Positioned my weights and let set a couple hours before testing. Set up good but let cure overnight before really testing. I like this glue. Dries cl;ear and stays flexible, and....you get a big tube for only a few bucks. It seems a little thicker that Welders, but the price is right, and you can find it at your local Wal-Mart in the craft section.

RonJ
Hey Steve and Ron

I have used E-6000 recently on a few repairs and overall it works fine. Two detractors 1) very smelly. 2) the glue just continues to run out of the tube unless you put the cap back on, ask me how I know.

I'm thinking about squeezing all of the E-6000 into an old Foamtac bottle, should cure the run out.

Ernie
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:02 AM
United States, IN, Danville
Joined Mar 2007
353 Posts
glue

hi if is is a big tube get a automotive gasket sealer spout like permatex .. it fit on the rv goop i use
corsair214 is offline Find More Posts by corsair214
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:29 PM
3RN13
Joined Feb 2008
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair214 View Post
hi if is is a big tube get a automotive gasket sealer spout like permatex .. it fit on the rv goop i use
Got it covered, but that's a good idea.

Thanks!

Ernie
Old Sep 22, 2013, 09:37 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,504 Posts
OK, maidened my "Tiger" at the local Fun Fly. Got there early before it got crowded. Added landing gear to mine, just for looks and I needed nose weight. Hand launched it like I do with my Twisted Hobby flyers (Crack Yak and Crack Pitts). No prob-leem-o...launched great and flew great.....I like this airplane. Ran 4 packs of 3S-500's through it, that's all I had ready.The painting on my Tiger is outstanding, a real crowd pleaser, especially the youngsters.

When I got home from the fun fly I had a call from a neighbor asking if I would do a demo for the neighborhood kids. The "Tiger" was a big hit again.

I have two transmitters full of airplanes to fly and I am gertting very solective as to what I buy or build now. My first criteria is it must be FUN TO FLY. Second is what I call "low pucker factor", which is based upon the cost of the airplane and if I crash it can I fix it. I have a couple expensive balsa flyers I seldom fly. I am a "low & slow" flyer and crunchie airplanes make me nervous. I guess the last criteria is looks. Have friends that look down at some of my profile style flyers and thats OK, that ugly little airplane flys like a dream.

The planes offered by Griffwerks are not only great flyers, but the art work is outstanding. Guess that puts them in the "good looking" category.

Geee, a foamie that not only flys good but looks good too...

RonJ
Last edited by RonJ; Sep 22, 2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 07:34 PM
3RN13
Joined Feb 2008
353 Posts
RonJ

Any pictures or video? I'm sure Steve won't mind.

Ernie