HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:33 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
Thanks guys for the tips, but I have configured those parameters, and still no love.

I did try reconnecting the TX line (yellow) but still cant get the mavlink.

Truglodite, I also tried (quickly before work) these settings you linked:
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blog/s...ource=activity
and still no luck. I have tried a lot of the other troubleshooting ideas such as testing with USb disconnected, re-flashing the firmware and charsets... It really wants to work, but just wont.

Do I need to in some way enable the telemetry radio in the hardware/3dr radio menus to get that port to start working?
Ahah, it's not working because you have USB connected. You can't have USB and the OSD connected at the same time, because they share the same port. Since you're not using telemetry, go ahead and set your SR3 parameters back to default (0's), keep the Tx line plugged in, remove USB, and it should work.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:49 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,449 Posts
conslen, if a different USB cable doesn't work, maybe it's low USB voltage. If so you can try using a different USB port (preferably on the computer itself, since some USB hubs have a very weak 5V supply). You can also try temporarily unplugging other USB devices that would increase the load on the 5V line, like cameras, printers, scanners, etc...

Kev
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:08 PM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
Ahah, it's not working because you have USB connected. You can't have USB and the OSD connected at the same time, because they share the same port. Since you're not using telemetry, go ahead and set your SR3 parameters back to default (0's), keep the Tx line plugged in, remove USB, and it should work.

Kev
No, I was saying I have tried testing without the USB connected, as that was one of the typical troubleshooting steps.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:52 PM
Still flying
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colsen2715 View Post
I just received the ArduFlyer? board 2.5 from RCTimer and I am getting an error trying to load the firmware for the ArduCopter V2.8.1 Hexa in MP. The message is Failed download new firmware System.IO.IO Exception : The port ‘COM8’ does not exist.

Under Device Manager Ports(COM & LPT) it shows Arduino Mega 2560(COM8). Mission Planner has COM8 selected with a baud rate of 115200.

I have a Windows XP (32 bit) system.

Can anybody help me get past this error?
colsen
Try to change USB port or do as i did. Uninstall MP, then uninstall all USB Controllers, but only the controllers and reboot your computer and the controllers will be reinstalled by Plug & Pray. Then reinstall MP.

This should work if all other things fail.

Also remember that connecting with a USB port on the computer you should use 115200, and if you bought the 433/915Mhz ArduFlyer UAV GPS Flight Control System you should use 57600

J
Ramnes is offline Find More Posts by Ramnes
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:52 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,449 Posts
Sorry, I misread your post regarding the USB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S
I did try reconnecting the TX line (yellow) but still cant get the mavlink.
You may have your Tx/Rx lines reversed. The yellow wire on my AFM2.5 kit connects the APM Tx to OSD Rx, and it is always connected (telemetry or not). To be clear, I will list the pinouts & wire colors for AFM 2.5's included wire harnesses:

White plug on APM2.5:
1-Black - GND
2-Green - APM Rx
3-Yellow - APM Tx
4-Red - 5V

SIP header on MinimOSD:
1-Black - GND
2-NC
3-Red - 5V
4-Yellow - OSD Rx
5-Green - OSD Tx
6-NC

There is no risk in trying it with the Tx/Rx lines swapped; worth a quick try IMHO.

Kev

[edit: Sorry for continuing OT with the OSD discussion, but I tried that small font file I posted a link to last night, and it works great with ArduCAM 2.0. Yay, no more huge block letters obscuring my view!

On another note, I'm still not able to get panel 2 to work correctly on ArduCam2.0. Everything else works perfectly, but panel 2 shows up with a chopped up "tuning" display and artificial horizon overlapping on the top left corner; I don't even have those 2 displays selected for panel 2 in the config tool?! I tried reflashing both firmware and char files and reconfiguring the layout many ways. The buggy panel 2 problem has been mentioned a few times in the DIYdrones forum, but I found no acknowledgement or fix. Does anyone have more info on this problem with ACam2.0 panel 2?]
Last edited by Truglodite; Dec 05, 2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Jul 2012
58 Posts
433 mhz ground module noise problem

Perhaps the most common source of noise with the 3DR-433 is noise from
the USB bus on your ground station. That shows up as high values for
the RADIO.noise value. If you get this, then you could try using a
different USB cable, or a different laptop. You can also try using a
USB hub between your laptop and your radio.

(source:http://wiki.ardupilot-mega.googlecod...t/3DRadio.wiki)

Guys don't you face this problem? I use rctimer 433mhz module and my ground station gets 4 times higher noise than the air module. What did all you do? and any advice?
abuzer01 is offline Find More Posts by abuzer01
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:53 PM
Sandy Hook, VA USA
Joined Jul 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramnes View Post
colsen
Try to change USB port or do as i did. Uninstall MP, then uninstall all USB Controllers, but only the controllers and reboot your computer and the controllers will be reinstalled by Plug & Pray. Then reinstall MP.

This should work if all other things fail.

Also remember that connecting with a USB port on the computer you should use 115200, and if you bought the 433/915Mhz ArduFlyer UAV GPS Flight Control System you should use 57600

J
Thank you all for your replys. I have tried another computer and also uninstalled MP and re-installed MP with no help. I am using a USB cable that came with a phone and that might be the problem. I will get another cable and try it again.

I did get the 915Mhz ArduFlyer UAV GPS Flight Control System and I changed the frequency to all those listed in MP but no help. I'll try a new cable.

Thanks Cliff
colsen2715 is offline Find More Posts by colsen2715
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:56 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,449 Posts
Great post abuzer01. I noticed the same problem with noise on my 433 GS data radio. I get the most noise (values between 70-80) when I have it plugged directly in to the USB port on my laptop. When I put a plain no ferrite 10' USB extension cable between my laptop and GS radio, noise drops between 50-60; that's with the cable coiled up and the radio a foot away from the laptop. That drops about 10 points if I fully extend the cable and get the radio away from the rest of my GS equipment. I assume a USB extension cable with ferrite would do even better. I plan on hacking my extension cable and installing a power filter. A hub with a clean 5V supply should also work great... or maybe a small 2s+linear regulator would work best at reducing noise at the GS.

Kev
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:13 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,449 Posts
Has anyone managed to display data radio RSSI with minimOSD?

I believe the RSSI display on both Arducam and Minimosd-extra are used to display control rx RSSI only, but instead I would like to see data radio RSSI (or better yet both). I don't want to disturb the wiki with a feature request if it's already there and I just need a pointer to get it working.

Kev
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:41 PM
Joined Jul 2012
58 Posts
Thanks Kev, I'm glad you've reduced it, but the main problem -for me- the ftdi module is integrated the ground circuit, and it affects signals coming from usb in anyway. Unsoldering it doesn't seem possible either.

Maybe the solution is buying new air module and using it as a ground station.

But I'm still open to any advice, and I'll try to extend usb cable as you said.
abuzer01 is offline Find More Posts by abuzer01
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:15 PM
Portugal, Lisbon, Sintra
Joined Jul 2011
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboygaac View Post
How do I connect a Bluetooth module to APM2.5 and also Telemetry?
Is the 1k resistor needed in BT RXD?
I'm always invisible....
flyboygaac is offline Find More Posts by flyboygaac
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:13 PM
Attention to the small details
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuzer01 View Post
Hi Jabram, I,2ve received 433mhz telemetry kit but as mentioned in dıydrones forum, isn't it too noisy? my 'air' noise is around 20 (I didn't know the unit,there are just numbers) whereas my ground module's is 80. Is it normal? And it's range is about 30 metre(inside the apartment, walls, laptops etc.) What is your opinion?
I don't pay too much attention to those figures, 30 metre indoors seems just fine, outdoors it will be much better.

I find best to use them at 57600 is plenty fast enough for APM 2.5
here are the settings I use, this is an old screen capture, I was using 115200 then, now use 57600, do NOT tick ECC or Op Resend they severely slow it down and besides Mission Planner is designed to cope with errors.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:15 PM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,706 Posts
Thanks for you efforts and claifaication. Still doesn't work, but thanks so much for the time, at least.

By the way, I am using MinimOSD 2.0 firmware. Wondering if I should try 1.9 or something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
Sorry, I misread your post regarding the USB.

You may have your Tx/Rx lines reversed. The yellow wire on my AFM2.5 kit connects the APM Tx to OSD Rx, and it is always connected (telemetry or not). To be clear, I will list the pinouts & wire colors for AFM 2.5's included wire harnesses:

White plug on APM2.5:
1-Black - GND
2-Green - APM Rx
3-Yellow - APM Tx
4-Red - 5V

SIP header on MinimOSD:
1-Black - GND
2-NC
3-Red - 5V
4-Yellow - OSD Rx
5-Green - OSD Tx
6-NC

There is no risk in trying it with the Tx/Rx lines swapped; worth a quick try IMHO.

Kev

[edit: Sorry for continuing OT with the OSD discussion, but I tried that small font file I posted a link to last night, and it works great with ArduCAM 2.0. Yay, no more huge block letters obscuring my view!

On another note, I'm still not able to get panel 2 to work correctly on ArduCam2.0. Everything else works perfectly, but panel 2 shows up with a chopped up "tuning" display and artificial horizon overlapping on the top left corner; I don't even have those 2 displays selected for panel 2 in the config tool?! I tried reflashing both firmware and char files and reconfiguring the layout many ways. The buggy panel 2 problem has been mentioned a few times in the DIYdrones forum, but I found no acknowledgement or fix. Does anyone have more info on this problem with ACam2.0 panel 2?]
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Derek_S; Dec 05, 2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:02 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,449 Posts
Derek, welcome and sorry to hear it still isn't working. Are you using Arducam 2.0 firmware? It has an issue with panel 2 switching anyways. There is also the minimosd-extra project you might want to check out; seems to be a more active than Arducam, and a similar panel 2 problem was already fixed a few releases ago. In fact I plan on installing minimOSD-extra before Sunday. I like Arducam as it seems to be less invasive on the APM telemetry parameters, but until that panel 2 issue is fixed it is almost useless to me.

Jumpy, thanks for the info on the radio settings. I'm running the defauts from the 3dr firmware with airspeed=64 and both ecc and op resend checked. I also increased my Tx power up to the max value of 20. ECC doesn't help on the air system end? I'll uncheck those 2 boxes if they don't help range.

Kev
Last edited by Truglodite; Dec 06, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:15 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboygaac View Post
I'm always invisible....
LOL, I think most are using telemetry instead of bluetooth.

Kev