HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2012, 03:59 PM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,279 Posts
have you flown it with and without the credit cards?

sounds like your thrust angle on the motor could possibly be out
brodjack is online now Find More Posts by brodjack
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 10:05 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
445 Posts
no, i havent tried differing thicknesses. but my friend mentioned the same thing about thrust angle. i will give it a go next time. i'd like to salvage it if i can.

its not the $60, but the time spent on it so far I'd like not to waste.
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old May 13, 2012, 06:18 AM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,279 Posts
defo worth a try,mine makes a great long range easy to fly slow FPV plane.

i know what you mean about time wasted,been there done that plenty of times
Old May 16, 2012, 06:15 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
445 Posts
I now know the likely cause for loss of elevator control when the plane is flying fast (especially on high throttle). I performed a ground test at full throttle and notice the boom is flexing and tail section is oscillating. This explains why my propellor mysteriously got chopped at both ends.
Nice engineering.
I need to find a way to further brace the boom...or....i just throw in the towel....i'm kinda feeling like throwing in the towel
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2012, 03:25 AM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice555 View Post
I now know the likely cause for loss of elevator control when the plane is flying fast (especially on high throttle). I performed a ground test at full throttle and notice the boom is flexing and tail section is oscillating. This explains why my propellor mysteriously got chopped at both ends.
Nice engineering.
I need to find a way to further brace the boom...or....i just throw in the towel....i'm kinda feeling like throwing in the towel
I put a 4mm carbon rod between the underside of the motor mount straight down to the top of the tail mount and epoxied in with 20mm flat ply circles at either end to distribute the force and increase surface area for the epoxy to adhere. I sanded flat surfaces in the foam at either end also before gluing. Tail is stiff and hardly flexes at all. The problem is with that semi-circular cutout under the motor to allow for airflow, but gives the tail boom almost no support. A big design flaw IMO.
wingsnapa is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapa
Old May 17, 2012, 04:26 AM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,279 Posts
mine vibrates when holding it but doubt it vibrates in flight.
Heres a video from mine flown in FPV.Gopro2 onboard.20-25mph winds.it just hovered at 3/4 power!
watch full screen and 720p

FPV MILE HIGH. (3 min 54 sec)
Old May 17, 2012, 11:41 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
445 Posts
@wingsnapa - brilliant! i will try this as the planes's last redemption

@brodjack - in retrospect i should have attached my hd camera rearward to capture the tail wagging / ineffectiveness at high speed issue. i will attach nonetheless once I've finished the brace as wingsnapa suggests.

thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2012, 02:23 AM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice555 View Post
@wingsnapa - brilliant! i will try this as the planes's last redemption

@brodjack - in retrospect i should have attached my hd camera rearward to capture the tail wagging / ineffectiveness at high speed issue. i will attach nonetheless once I've finished the brace as wingsnapa suggests.

thanks
Man, my FPVEPP is not the same plane as it arrived in box. I posted a list of the mods I did a numeber of pages back. But i think the mod I just mentioned and the dihedral are the two that have made the biggest difference to stability. Good luck man.
Old May 19, 2012, 05:18 AM
Joined May 2012
4 Posts
no mods

Hi,

Only modification is wing with bolts and elevator servo moved more back..
Nothing else.
AUW 2100 grams and can handle 7g really easy.

EPP_FPV testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnapa View Post
Man, my FPVEPP is not the same plane as it arrived in box. I posted a list of the mods I did a numeber of pages back. But i think the mod I just mentioned and the dihedral are the two that have made the biggest difference to stability. Good luck man.
FREDAcheck is offline Find More Posts by FREDAcheck
Old May 19, 2012, 04:10 PM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREDAcheck View Post
Hi,

Only modification is wing with bolts and elevator servo moved more back..
Nothing else.
AUW 2100 grams and can handle 7g really easy.

EPP_FPV testing
I know the EPPFPV flies stock, no issues there, but the question is, how do you want it to fly? I dare say the only people who have the comparison between flying a stock bird vs a usefully modded bird are the ones who have done it.

The t-tail, for example which really isn't useful for better flight, is simply a damage saving measure, already saved me numerous times in long grass. A few degrees of dihedral will not necessarily give you a better 'flying' plane, but what it will give you is inherent stability. I let go of the sticks in almost any attitude and she straightens right up.

I doubled the strength of the wing spars and made the tail more rigid so they simply would not fail unless pile driven into the dirt at 90kph. Would the stock spars fail?, maybe, maybe not...but others have under only moderate strain.

I'm not taking the risk with 2kg of expensive equipment supported by two 4mm carbon rods. What would 2kg of weight do to 4mm carbon spar pulling out of a dive at say 4G? I'd rather just not worry about that result myself

I consider the mods above the most useful for what I want and neither of them were intended to make the plane fly twice as good, just address a few issues that for FPV use, are better not to have.

EDIT: I'm setting up for long distance ocean fpv, I want a reliable platform.
Old May 22, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
More EPP FPV Flying...
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
Old May 23, 2012, 09:54 AM
KK4BTL
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Feb 2011
219 Posts
I havent even gotten mine yet to start the build....but I have read much of the mods, and I think the wing struts is a great mod in addition to all this. Im gonna put it on floats cause I live on a lake and there is no decent approach or landing zone but a short grassy bank (still approach over water) and on the lake itself...

I was thinking to use bent steel rods inside the spars to hold the dihedral...still go together in the field fairly easy...

Quote:
I know the EPPFPV flies stock, no issues there, but the question is, how do you want it to fly? I dare say the only people who have the comparison between flying a stock bird vs a usefully modded bird are the ones who have done it.

The t-tail, for example which really isn't useful for better flight, is simply a damage saving measure, already saved me numerous times in long grass. A few degrees of dihedral will not necessarily give you a better 'flying' plane, but what it will give you is inherent stability. I let go of the sticks in almost any attitude and she straightens right up.

I doubled the strength of the wing spars and made the tail more rigid so they simply would not fail unless pile driven into the dirt at 90kph. Would the stock spars fail?, maybe, maybe not...but others have under only moderate strain.

I'm not taking the risk with 2kg of expensive equipment supported by two 4mm carbon rods. What would 2kg of weight do to 4mm carbon spar pulling out of a dive at say 4G? I'd rather just not worry about that result myself

I consider the mods above the most useful for what I want and neither of them were intended to make the plane fly twice as good, just address a few issues that for FPV use, are better not to have.

EDIT: I'm setting up for long distance ocean fpv, I want a reliable platform.
dustydonnay is offline Find More Posts by dustydonnay
Old May 23, 2012, 09:56 AM
KK4BTL
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Feb 2011
219 Posts
Could you share a picture of this mod bro? I mean...it sounds easy eneough a caveman could do it...but it'd be nice to see your solution. Thanks!

Quote:
I put a 4mm carbon rod between the underside of the motor mount straight down to the top of the tail mount and epoxied in with 20mm flat ply circles at either end to distribute the force and increase surface area for the epoxy to adhere. I sanded flat surfaces in the foam at either end also before gluing. Tail is stiff and hardly flexes at all. The problem is with that semi-circular cutout under the motor to allow for airflow, but gives the tail boom almost no support. A big design flaw IMO.
dustydonnay is offline Find More Posts by dustydonnay
Old May 31, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Oct 2006
8 Posts
Hi all, this thread has been very helpful thanks you all. here is my first video with the EPP FPV. I am a Noob so excuse me for the bad video I dream on a go pro or the horizon hd.

EPP FPV 2do Vuelo (2 min 15 sec)
Cat. 5 is offline Find More Posts by Cat. 5
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:56 AM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustydonnay View Post
Could you share a picture of this mod bro? I mean...it sounds easy eneough a caveman could do it...but it'd be nice to see your solution. Thanks!
Sorry about the delay, but since you asked so nicely! Here ya go. The key is to provide a flat, wide surface at either end to absorb the stresses into the foam.
Cheers,

I've now logged over 11 hours air time with my bird with my most recent flights out over flooded rivers and lakes in SE Australia.