HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:24 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
Well I have taken the plunge. Well at least my wife has as she has just ordered it for me. Let's see if I can get through to Christmas without playing on it. It should look awesome rigged up to our 55 inch tele. It was a wedding gift so don't think we are loaded lol.

I've done the trick already to make the HP6DSM work with it just to see how easy it was and it was dead simple. I love the idea of free upgrades and did give real flight a good looking over but the cost difference couldn't be justified for the time being. I'm excited at having a go on some planes and even using the tuition on there.

My name is Matt. I'm an addict
I assume you got Phoenix? There is a bit of a learning curve on how to adjust it to how your own heli works, but you won't regret getting it. It's an excellent source of practice for your own heli and a whole bunch more. I really love the t-rex 700.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:48 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I have RealFlight and it's ok. But I use the free Helisimrc all the time now, and never crank up RF anymore!
The guy that makes it is very generous to offer it free of charge, and it actualy works very well. And no, I don't know him/her or have any interest in promoting it, I just like it alot. And the fact that it is free might help out, although you do have to have some kind of way to link up a Tx.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:06 PM
120SR, DX6i
United States, AL, Phenix City
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
120 SR experiencing problems Hyperion G3 LiPo

Hello. I'm brand new to this forum so you'll have to excuse me if I screw this up. I have a 120 SR with many upgrades and it worked fine until I bought the Hyperion G3 550mAh LiPos for it. I charged the Cell at 4C charge rate then when out to check it out, Expected more power and increased flight time. Well, the heli lifted off and was fine for a moment then the rpms soared and it started spinning wildly out of control. Couldn't even cut the throttle using the DX6i. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.
Dave2814 is offline Find More Posts by Dave2814
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:31 PM
United States, PA, Reading
Joined Mar 2009
469 Posts
You might have seen some of my nano fuselages on the forums. Did an Apache for the MCPX,almost finished with an Apache for this excellent heli. I've been flying the hell out of my 120 and it deserves something really cool to put on. Bill www.dragmarstudios.com
tippytoe is offline Find More Posts by tippytoe
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:43 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2814 View Post
Hello. I'm brand new to this forum so you'll have to excuse me if I screw this up. I have a 120 SR with many upgrades and it worked fine until I bought the Hyperion G3 550mAh LiPos for it. I charged the Cell at 4C charge rate then when out to check it out, Expected more power and increased flight time. Well, the heli lifted off and was fine for a moment then the rpms soared and it started spinning wildly out of control. Couldn't even cut the throttle using the DX6i. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.
I wouldn't think the battery would cause this but still...4C charge rate ? On a new lipo, no less ? I wouldn't think it'd be good for the battery.
I hope the damage wasn't too bad. Did you try it after that event with another battery ?
Brian VT is online now Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:51 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
5,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2814 View Post

... was fine for a moment then the rpms soared and it started spinning wildly out of control. Couldn't even cut the throttle using the DX6i. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.

Yes, when a FET in the speed control section of the board goes. I talked about it here fairly recently (and many times in this thread over the past 3/4 year or so).
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:30 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
I assume you got Phoenix? There is a bit of a learning curve on how to adjust it to how your own heli works, but you won't regret getting it. It's an excellent source of practice for your own heli and a whole bunch more. I really love the t-rex 700.
Yep got Phoenix
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:05 AM
Joined Jan 2005
656 Posts
Now that you mention it, I do have a few questions. I guess I should ask which parts (i.e. rotor blades, drive gears, drive motors, etc.) are most suseptable to failure as I'm sure I'll be breaking parts due to crashes. I should go ahead and pick up some spare parts to keep my down time to a minimum. Also, I have a Spectrum DX6 radio for my Edge 540. Could this TX be used for heli applications, would it be better than the TX that comes with the 120 RTF kit, and what RX would I need to use it in the 120? Thanks.
grampi is offline Find More Posts by grampi
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:52 AM
Joined Jan 2005
656 Posts
I suppose I should buy some spare RX batteries as well, huh? Which ones should I get?
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:04 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
311 Posts
The DX6i will just bind. You don't need receiver batteries as it's built into the 5in1 board. I've broken everything that can be broken at some point but it was the rear boom that has been replaced the most. I would get the rear motor protector sleeve if it doesn't come with one and some spare links. If you don't fly inside like I did you might not need to get anything extra for the time being. It is pretty robust. It just isn't a fan of walls and ceilings.

The tx that comes with it sucks balls.
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:06 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,618 Posts
DX6i is good, DX6 is not as good. You can get all kinds of DX6i info here from all the guys. DX6 is adaptable, but it was meant to be a dedicated tx for the Blade SR.

Order online or at your LHS for parts. I always search for the lowest price on eBay, but check the same eBay shop's online store on their own web page. Sometimes the parts are less.

Pick up a minimum of:
  • 2 sets main and tail blades
  • 1 main shaft
  • 3 sets of ball links
  • 2 flybars
  • 1 tail boom set
  • 1 swashplate
  • Extra batteries (I like 5 total)
  • 1 tail motor (you hopefully won't need this too soon)
Last edited by Saxguy1000; Dec 06, 2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:13 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,618 Posts
Hey, check this out: Horizon Hobby. They are featuring the 120 SR in the opening frame of a $25 off coupon. This forum is going to have a lot of after Christmas questions!!!!
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:22 AM
Joined Dec 2011
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
Pick up a minimum of:
I'm surprised the anti-rotation bracket isn't mentioned more often. That's the really the only part I've had trouble with. Those fingers are really weak.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:55 AM
Joined Jan 2005
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
The DX6i will just bind. You don't need receiver batteries as it's built into the 5in1 board. I've broken everything that can be broken at some point but it was the rear boom that has been replaced the most. I would get the rear motor protector sleeve if it doesn't come with one and some spare links. If you don't fly inside like I did you might not need to get anything extra for the time being. It is pretty robust. It just isn't a fan of walls and ceilings.

The tx that comes with it sucks balls.
I'm not following you. What do you mean the DX6i will just bind? And what do you mean I don't need RX batteries? According to the manual the batteries are inserted for flight and removed for charging. I don't see where they're built into anything.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Dec 2011
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
I'm not following you.
Do you have a DX6i or DX6 ? Either one can be bound to any Spektrum receiver (which the 120SR has).
I think only gliders have RX batteries. Most planes, helis, cars, etc., use 1 battery for the motors, servos, and RX (motors being the main consumer).