HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2005, 06:01 PM
Joined Aug 2000
2,536 Posts
LiPo crash damage?

How much physical damage can a LiPo sustain without becoming a safety issue? I recently crashed hard and munched the corner of a 3S pack. No puffing, leaking, volts show 12vts (crash occured shortly after charge), left in metal container for 2 days now with minimal drop in volts and no visual changes.

I don't know the internal construction of LiPos so don't know what the possible internal damage may be but external visual is just one corner of all three sells smashed in about 1/4" in (will try to post pics later).

I'm on vacation and am concerned about fire etc. and realize I should trash the pack but it's almost new, expensive, and if still usable (with proper precausions) would like to save it.
hardlock is offline Find More Posts by hardlock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2005, 06:43 PM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
Does'nt sound good.
It may work fine, but could be more (much more) probable to fail (perhaps a firey one).

Pullin'
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Old Jun 09, 2005, 07:54 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
I recently discharged a Tanic 10S2P pack 4300 mahr ( two 2150//), still had plenty of power to lite 4 50W halogen bulbs connected in series white hot in two soup cups. They sat around charged at 40+ volts for at least 3 months or more. Took a couple of hours to discharge to 37 volts at a 4 amp load off and on to keep things cool

I discharge all packs that are not used regularly
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:20 AM
Joined Aug 2000
2,536 Posts
Here's some pics. Still haven't self-destructed. Temped to fly it out and hope for the best. What we need is air-tight, fireproof padded covers!
hardlock is offline Find More Posts by hardlock
Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:55 AM
CHICAGO
Joined Feb 2004
1,616 Posts
I doubt they ever will self destruct. Unless you have a puncture in the skin it will work fine.
I have seen one of my packs that was beat up as if it stole something. The pilot said he crashed his foam wing at WOT and one of the cells was at U shape. He re formed it back and logged 2-3 flights with it to date.

Dan

Check PM
supi7 is offline Find More Posts by supi7
Old Jun 10, 2005, 01:34 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
I think the li-po polic around here would tell you to get ride of it.. Come to think of it us less sane people would recomend you dispose of that pack. while it may work you are in that grey area of how long before a possible problem.

I have flown with packs like that before but have since decided that my house my car my plane are worth more than i would ave by chancing it..

It may work for you but your milage will vary
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:50 AM
Franktown, CO
Joined Aug 2004
58 Posts
Hardlock, I crunched a Kokam 1500 pack in a similar manner, most of the damage at the end and not the corner like yours tho. I thought it was toast. After letting it sit in the bbq for a few days I took a needle nose pliers and gently formed it back to somewhat original shape. Back in the bbq for a few days. Charged it under close scrutiny and it appeared fine. That was 6 month and about 100 flights ago.

Just my experience, yours may vary.
gravityrules is offline Find More Posts by gravityrules
Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:14 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supi7
I doubt they ever will self destruct. Unless you have a puncture in the skin it will work fine.
I have seen one of my packs that was beat up as if it stole something. The pilot said he crashed his foam wing at WOT and one of the cells was at U shape. He re formed it back and logged 2-3 flights with it to date.
Dan, that's a pretty aggressive recommendation for a LiPo vendor to make. I don't recall any of the other vendors suggesting that LiPos with visible physical damage could be used with no more concern than brand new cells. In fact, there have been several reports of physically damaged cells that survived impacts only to fail catastrophically after having gone through several more cycles. Is there something unique about the construction of your cells that makes them less susceptible to failure under these conditions?
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:42 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,158 Posts
Hardlock,
The truth is that nobody knows whether it is safe to use that pack or not.

Here's some crash incidents - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273490
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=12

Check posts #4 and 5.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

What are the odds of this happening? Who knows
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jun 11, 2005, 03:48 AM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
"when in doubt, toss it out"

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Jun 11, 2005, 04:02 AM
CHICAGO
Joined Feb 2004
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hederich
Dan, that's a pretty aggressive recommendation for a LiPo vendor to make. I don't recall any of the other vendors suggesting that LiPos with visible physical damage could be used with no more concern than brand new cells. In fact, there have been several reports of physically damaged cells that survived impacts only to fail catastrophically after having gone through several more cycles. Is there something unique about the construction of your cells that makes them less susceptible to failure under these conditions?
Dave, I am not suggesting that if the cell is damaged that drasticly (like my cell) that he should still use it without worry. All I am saying is that with as little damage as he has on that pack I would not be writing it off as a complete loss.

I could say, YES ITS BAD, NOW GO SPEND MORE MONEY.

insted I say IT WILL WORK FINE (but still keep your eye on it)

Best Wishes,

Dan
supi7 is offline Find More Posts by supi7
Old Jun 11, 2005, 09:03 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,158 Posts
Or you could say "I don't know"
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jun 11, 2005, 09:33 AM
It's me Glacier Girl
Joined Aug 2004
868 Posts
Here's my pack after a bad prang. I too took the very cautious route.
Still flying today. But I agree there is no set rule on wether to toss or not.
Just be careful.
SHELBY1 is offline Find More Posts by SHELBY1
Old Jun 11, 2005, 04:20 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Dan, I think Hoppy's approach is more helpful. To the best of my knowledge, no one has been able to look at a damaged cell and say for certain that it is too damaged to use or as good as new. When a LiPo vendor says either "YES ITS BAD, NOW GO SPEND MORE MONEY" or "IT WILL WORK FINE (but still keep your eye on it)," it raises questions because there's really no way of knowing whether either one of those statements is true.

Borrowing some of your wording, I'd suggest that a better piece of advice from a LiPo vendor would be: It may be bad and it may work fine, so keep your eye on it.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:19 PM
Türkiye, Eskişehir
Joined Apr 2011
204 Posts
sorry to bring up old old topic but have same problem... tossing out is good idea and i will do it eventually but can those type of batteries be used as low grade purposes? i have fully puffed battery and using it like 2 years just testing Servos and receiver etc. did not happened anything yet thankfully...

i am thikning to use this 5a 3s lipo on my ground station which pulls max 1A constant most of the time it wont pass 700ma
what you people think about that?
heres the topic with video and pictures.. sorry to bother you

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post29293658
Kavil194 is offline Find More Posts by Kavil194