SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 07, 2014, 08:51 PM
Modesto Calfornia
Joined Feb 2004
731 Posts
Discussion
laying F/G cloth over balsa

I got a tip that I used years ago but forget what brush I used
If you lay F/G cloth over balsa to eliminate it moving around brush with a soft brush problem is I have used two hair brushes and 1 nylon but none create the static between the cloth and thee balsa which is needed to make it stick ?
So what brush should I purchase
David
fudi50 is offline Find More Posts by fudi50
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2014, 10:05 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,040 Posts
Never heard of that one, but sounds a neat idea. I use a light spray of 3M '77' cement on what will be the back side of the glass. Wait a couple of minutes until the 77 is as tacky as masking tape and apply. You've got about 5-10 minutes on a normal-temperature day to reposition as needed. I've used epoxy and a natural bristle, sometimes referred to as a chip, brush. Thin CA glue also works.
Balsabird is offline Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Dec 08, 2014, 07:02 AM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
373 Posts
In older times, folks would use something called a "Drafting Brush". Before CAD, when folks used to draw on paper and vellum, the brush would be used in a similar way, to 'brush' the paper onto the drafting board where it would cling via static electricity. Is this possibly the brush that you used, David??
N1EDM is offline Find More Posts by N1EDM
Old Dec 08, 2014, 10:03 AM
Modesto Calfornia
Joined Feb 2004
731 Posts
laying F/G over balsa

yes a brush like this
I just purchased a similar one a Da Vinci made in Germany. For use in drafting but it failed to create the static.
The hairs seem a little to stiff they are blonde color what I recall the brush was black hair about 3" long real supple
David
Old Dec 08, 2014, 12:20 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,239 Posts
Ancient brushes.. those came in various qualities.. back when :-)
Dusting the model with 3m #77 is easy and effective.
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Dec 08, 2014, 08:46 PM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
373 Posts
I wonder if Staples or Office Max might have one? I've seen lead holders there (i.e., drafting pencils) so they could have one. I am lucky and still have mine.

Bob
Old Dec 08, 2014, 10:45 PM
Modesto Calfornia
Joined Feb 2004
731 Posts
laying F/G over balsa

Bob

can you describe the bristles I did go to Office Max no luck there ,
Can you describe how you would fraise a question to a drafting supplier I intend to call such a company tomorrow what would seem a simple question to me always for me ends up in frustration because of an English accent even after 34 years!
Da Brit !
Oh! my wife did buy me a nylon dust brush with pan but I have a feeling there was an ulterior agenda hidden there, she retires in 29 days.
Bb if all else fails can you describe the bristles on you brush [lucky dude]
Old Dec 09, 2014, 02:59 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,947 Posts
My old drafting brush, bought in 1966 (!), has real horse hair for the bristles which are black in color. The brush looks very similar to the photo in post #3.

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Dec 09, 2014, 07:13 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,394 Posts
The primary purpose of the brush was to remove the drafting scum dust added to keep the drafting tools from rubbing the pencil lines and smearing them. I'd not heard of using it to create static stick... but it is a great idea.

My brush sounds about like Joe's and was bought about that time. It has a "Post" label on it.
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2014, 08:15 AM
United States, KS, Rose Hill
Joined Sep 2007
989 Posts
Try Google.

L.
Cherokee Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Cherokee Flyer
Old Dec 09, 2014, 09:18 AM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
373 Posts
Piper Joe describes the drafting brush perfectly and aa5by, yes, I should have included that in my description. Those little pieces of eraser (which I seemed to go through all too often) really gathered up on the drawing - at least mine seemed to have an overabundance of them :-).
Old Dec 09, 2014, 10:12 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,600 Posts
We used to call those bench brushed, back in the day of pencil and paper.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Dec 09, 2014, 11:00 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,947 Posts
Here is a photo of my two drafting brushes that are now used in the shop. The older, 1966 version is on the left. Ah....the memories of good times at the drafting board.

Soft landings,

Joe

Edit: Anyone recall those little green and red or white with green lettering cans of Scum-X? Or the small bags of Scum-X that made really good "incomers" when tossed in jest at fellow workers (especially when they were wearing something dark?)?
Last edited by piperjoe; Dec 10, 2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2014, 01:02 PM
O'Fallon, Mo.
Joined Apr 2010
576 Posts
I remember the scum-bags! Went to school with a bunch of scum-bags! Haven't seen one since 1971, last time I was paid to draft.
BluIIs is offline Find More Posts by BluIIs
Old Dec 09, 2014, 04:18 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,947 Posts
Those white, cloth covered, pounce bags (used for cleaning up a drawing after running triangles, parallel bars and such over the Vellum or Mylar sheet) made about as much of a mess when you caught 'em in mid-air as they did if they hit you square on. I sure had a good time during those early employment years as it never seemed like I was going to a "job" every day. And then Intergraph came along...and then AutoCAD came along...and then along I went for just a short while. Drafting just wasn't they same, wasn't fun anymore, after the computer age commenced.

Soft landings,

Joe