SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 25, 2013, 07:22 PM
Brazil
Joined Aug 2011
25 Posts
Discussion
Best vintage to start?

Hi, my name ir Rodrigo and I have been flown giants for long time.
One friend of mine show me one DOT and I loved it.
Today I'm trying to learn more about vintage airplanes and This forum is been the best place to do it.
I have already built something Like 20 planes (giles 202, super sport, kadet, senhorita, mojo, primo, etc) and I'm wanting to build my first vintage. I'm looking for one good soarer and in the first moment I have thought in diamond demon double, majestic major, playboy, lanzo record breaker ou quaker.
Now I'm prefering kits. It is Because here in Brazil we do not have good balsa wood and I do not have space and time to scratchbuild.
Could You help me to find the best choice?
I would appreciate!!
Thanks, Rodrigo.
rodrigocosta is offline Find More Posts by rodrigocosta
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2013, 08:21 PM
Havin FUN
United States, KS, Basehor
Joined Sep 2001
573 Posts
Hi Rodrigo,
Maybe ???????

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

They have different warehouses ( HobbyKing) they ship out of you could select the best shipping point for you.

Don-Basehor, Ks
Gonnacrash is offline Find More Posts by Gonnacrash
Old Dec 25, 2013, 08:28 PM
Brazil
Joined Aug 2011
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonnacrash View Post
Hi Rodrigo,
Maybe ???????

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

They have different warehouses ( HobbyKing) they ship out of you could select the best shipping point for you.

Don-Basehor, Ks
Sometimes I purchase from HK...but I' m thinking in something bigger.
BTW, I forgot to say, but I want to go eletric.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 01:12 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
1,070 Posts
All of the models you have mentioned are available from Ben Buckle kits http://www.benbucklevintage.com/inde...=index&cPath=1. The Majestic Major would be a fine first large vintage model, easy to build and a good flier, just keep the tail surfaces light and position your flight battery as far forward as possible because the model has a very short nose.

Alternatively Belair Kits provide plan packs in which all of the formers, wing ribs and other shaped parts are provided; you have to provide the strip wood. http://www.belairkits.com/whatsnew.asp

Best of Luck and Happy New Year.
Monza Red is online now Find More Posts by Monza Red
Last edited by Monza Red; Dec 26, 2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 07:16 AM
Brazil
Joined Aug 2011
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza Red View Post
All of the models you have mentioned are available from Ben Buckle kits http://www.benbucklevintage.com/inde...=index&cPath=1. The Majestic Major would be a fine first large vintage model, easy to build and a good flier, just keep the tail surfaces light and position your flight battery as far forward as possible because the model has a very short nose.

Alternatively Belair Kits provide plan packs in which all of the formers, wing ribs and other shaped parts are provided; you have to provide the strip wood. http://www.belairkits.com/whatsnew.asp

Best of Luck and Happy New Year.
Monza Red, thanks!!!
Btw, i was thinking about the eletric setup... does turnigy g32 could be fine?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:14 AM
United States, MO, Stockton
Joined Oct 2013
769 Posts
vintage kits

I have 3 short kits left, all can be converted to r/c if not already, there are a few companies that will get you a short kit which is parts but no stringers, If you look under bill effinger designs all his vintage stuff is there and i think they have kits for them good luck sam
slam555 is offline Find More Posts by slam555
Old Dec 26, 2013, 03:06 PM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigocosta View Post
Monza Red, thanks!!!
Btw, i was thinking about the eletric setup... does turnigy g32 could be fine?
I'm not the best person to ask about electric flight but you'll need at least 50 watts per lb for a vintage model, that's about 110 watts per kilo. I don't know what the weight of a Majestic Major is but if we say work on 3.5 kilos you'll require a system which produces about 350 watts or a little more.
Monza Red is online now Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Dec 26, 2013, 06:41 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,251 Posts
Hi Rodrigo, I am nearer from you than most other fellow modelers in this fantastic forum!! The Junior 60, in whatever size you pick is no doubt a wonderful first (or last!!!) vintage model. I myself have built five of them.
Edubarca is online now Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Dec 26, 2013, 08:09 PM
Brazil
Joined Aug 2011
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca View Post
Hi Rodrigo, I am nearer from you than most other fellow modelers in this fantastic forum!! The Junior 60, in whatever size you pick is no doubt a wonderful first (or last!!!) vintage model. I myself have built five of them.
Hi Edubarca!!!yeah...in Colombia You are neares from me Than other modelers here. In my house we (me, my wife and my five years old son) are thinking about the new project. In my club wind is a problem. It is Because I'm wanting something big, Like a diamond demon double ou majestic major. My wife likes the ddd design...but, for the first project I prefer something Classic and the majestic major is a Classic....Maybe will be the first....

One good friend modeler told me: Rô, going vintage planes You will be going to the right way...
PS. He is right.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 08:10 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,603 Posts
A US source for short kits of formers and ribs where supply the strip and sheet wood is www.bhplans.com . They have a wide variety of suitable designs.

The 50 watts/lb mentioned above will provide a 35 to 40 degree climb at a moderate speed. 70 to 80 watt/lb provides a 45 to 60 degree climb with a pretty good speed.

To replicate the climb rate that the models would have with the original spark engines I'd suggest 50 watts/lb for older, more complex and thus heavier cabin style designs and 80 watts/lb for the more modern pylon or high performance newer cabin models.

Most spark engine old timers used in contests by the time of the later years just before the war broke out seemed to have a 72 to 80 inch span. Such models can typically be built to come in at 42 to 58oz without TOO much trouble for electric power as long as reasonable wood and lighter styles of covering are used. The lighter side of that weight range being the lighter and later style contest style models with the 58oz side being the more detailed cabin style designs. These weights being based on electric power with RC gear. So output power only needs to be around 200 to 280 watts. Which actually isn't all that hard to manage with a light motor and a 1500 3S battery pack.

If the goal is to treat this old timer project as a powered sailplane style of model then you'll likely want to concentrate on the pylon or lighter cabin models.

It's a lot of building but the 78 inch Comet Sailplane designed by Carl Goldberg is a truly beautiful design to see in flight. It's a big model with LOTS of structure. So even with lighter wood you can expect it to be up around the 60oz ready to fly weight even with care take for wood and covering selection. And it is a LOT of work. But it truly is a majestic and pretty model to see up close or soaring overhead with the sun shining through the covering.

Another option that is simpler to build and truly beautiful in flight is the Super Quaker. And really though, there are so many great looking designs that it's tough to nail down any one particular suggestion.

If you can nail down a choice we can suggest something a little more specific.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Dec 26, 2013, 08:38 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,433 Posts
Hi Rodrigo!
I had the 84" Quaker with the original OS four stroke .60 on it and it would climb out at 30 degrees.
But the Quaker wasn't much of a soarer, with a couple of clicks of throttle it would putt around nice and slow, but at 4 1/2 lbs. it would sink through light lift.

But for a power system, I've got a great recommendation.
I've got a 6 lb. 69" Tri-Pacer with a big thick wing like many of the Old Timer kits and it's powered with a Headsup Hobby's Powerup 32 with a 4200 mah 3 cell lipo turning a 13/6.5 APC prop and puts out a measured 3.3 lbs of thrust. If you wanted more, a 4 cell with a 12/6 would add a good bit more thrust. This arrangement gives me about 10 minutes at full throttle.

I've only got one flight on it because the weather and holidays shut me down but there's a vid of it here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1985833&page=5

Nick
taildragger1589 is offline Find More Posts by taildragger1589
Old Dec 27, 2013, 06:07 AM
Brazil
Joined Aug 2011
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza Red View Post
I'm not the best person to ask about electric flight but you'll need at least 50 watts per lb for a vintage model, that's about 110 watts per kilo. I don't know what the weight of a Majestic Major is but if we say work on 3.5 kilos you'll require a system which produces about 350 watts or a little more.
Thanks Monza Red!!!!
Old Dec 27, 2013, 08:47 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigocosta View Post
Hi Edubarca!!!yeah...in Colombia You are neares from me Than other modelers here. In my house we (me, my wife and my five years old son) are thinking about the new project. In my club wind is a problem. It is Because I'm wanting something big, Like a diamond demon double ou majestic major. My wife likes the ddd design...but, for the first project I prefer something Classic and the majestic major is a Classic....Maybe will be the first....

One good friend modeler told me: Rô, going vintage planes You will be going to the right way...
PS. He is right.
Hola Rodrigo

My 23 year old daughter, Paloma, and myself and preparing the old Keil Kraft Southener. It is a vintage 1947 design by Bill Dean and with beautiful proportions. She wants to learn to fly and we picked this model because it is not only beautiful but also a builder's experience. Perhaps you could think of this model, enlarged to whatever size you want. Keep us posted!!

EDUARDO
Edubarca is online now Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Dec 27, 2013, 09:52 AM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
736 Posts
I don't think any one has mentioned it here but Klarich Custom Kits offers a huge assortment of old timer short kits. I built their 60" Lanzo Bomber and it was really a good short kit. They have a web site with all of their models listed.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft