HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:26 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,289 Posts
In conclusion -
The wing incidence is off. I spoke with another modeler who had this same plane and said he had to fly with down elevator also.
I have moved the LE of the wing down 5mm and it has helped alot but still not enough. The adjustment has improved it's flight characteristics. I will fly it there.
The DLE 30 has plenty of power even on the break-in 32:1 mix

I don't recommend the CMP Zero.
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2013, 07:26 PM
OHIO
Joined Aug 2009
1,659 Posts
HI All, Im looking for a war bird build for this winter and came across this! I fly Turbine and EDF jets and I have a fix for the eflite 60-120 retracts My Turbine Viper comes in @ 22.5lb dry and i have over 65 flights on it this year without a problem with them!! Ok not here to sell anything just to help out. BTW any good ideas on a 100+" wingspan war-birds out there? P-51,spitfire,P-47... Thanks Billy D
http://www.usarcjets.com/cgi-bin/sho...t%20-%20Struts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
I assembled this plane years back with a rcgf 20cc. Once I finally got the engine running good enough it was a decent flying plane. Things I did was to rip out the servo tray and put in a new one all the way forward up against the wing leading edge bulkhead with a slot cut for the tank, added some 1/8" ply doublers to the wing retract mounting rail ribs (they cut lightening holes in them, very bad idea). My retract rails broke a few times before that mod. The paint chipped on me pretty bad so I refinished it. Turns out ultracoat off white matches rustoleum almond almost perfectly. I had to use a 1/4" x 5" diameter steel plate on the firewall to balance, its awfully short coupled. I'll be curious to see how it balances with the DLE30.

I didnt have to drill my fuse for the stab rods. Dont know whats going on there.

I would HIGHLY SUGGEST to NOT use the eflite 60-120 retracts. Not strong enough. I used them in my H9 B-25 and broke one. Thats only a 14lb plane. Before that, you had to land light because it seemed wobbly. The struts I had used a locking nut to hold the wheel on. It came off on landing. When the strut came down on pavement, the plane swung sideways and busted the metal trunnion in the retract. They use a very poor grade of aluminum. It looks almost like pot metal. E-flite also does NOT sell spare parts. They pretty much leave you hanging. I was fortunate to find a guy on RCG that makes replacement trunnions out of much stronger 6061 aluminum. You can see they are much beefier than the originals. Thats also when I discovered that the frames are not machined very well. The first trunnion fit perfect in the broken retract, the second had a bind problem that took a little filing on both side plates to get to work. Both trunnions were exactly the same when stacked so my only conclusion was the side panel being off. It worked with the original trunnion, but took a small amount of filing to get the better one to work. If I had to do it again, I wouldnt use E-flite retracts. I went back to air robarts and have been happy since.

Edwin
BILLYDSRC is online now Find More Posts by BILLYDSRC
Old Nov 06, 2013, 10:58 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,289 Posts
Actually the eflite retracts are doing good in this plane ( 16 flights ) She has no flaps so you come in hot and grease her down..... I think the retracts will last a long time despite the 15 pounds AUW

Friend just maidened an ESM Spitfire near that size. She is nice!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 02:29 AM
QLD, AUSTRALIA
Joined Jul 2009
105 Posts
Good to hear another Zero is in the air, it is great to see other warbirds in the in other than the usual P51_P47 etc.
What's the performance like with the 30cc in? I did consider it for mine but it was a tad to big, can you post some pics of hero in action
DAVETHEDOG is offline Find More Posts by DAVETHEDOG
Old Nov 12, 2013, 09:53 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,289 Posts
The DLE30 has plenty of power, all flights so far have been with the break in prop and oil (32-1). Yet it seemed to have lots of pull even with the variable pitch 18x6-10 prop. I think it will have unlimited vertical even with the nearly 15 pound dry weight.
I have 2 gallons run through her and next flights will be with 40:1 redline 2 stroke oil and 8x10 Zoar prop.

This is my first gasser. The motor is a little on the 2 big side but, it fit reasonably well with the stock muffler. I still added over 1.5 pounds to balance. A smaller motor would have just meant more lead and less power. My next gasser is is coming together. Another CMP 120 sz. The FU4 kamikaze hunter.

Although I am somewhat disappointed in the CMP model I have enjoyed the flights. The Zero is a great flying design and the Eflite 60-120 retracts are holding up to good landings. Which is more than we can say for the CMP retract pockets !
Here she is on the left sitting next to a World models Zero. I will try for a few action pics next weekend. Thanks for asking
Last edited by scootrb4; Nov 12, 2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 03:01 PM
Mr Clean
USA, OH, Xenia
Joined Mar 2007
623 Posts
CMP Zero

Here is a youtube of my buddy flying his CMP Zero four years ago. It is still flying and he flies it a couple time a week. Even used it to compete at the Bob Evans Farm fly-in in Ohio. He also has 1.5# of lead in the front.

CMP Hellcat and Zero (6 min 59 sec)

good luck
FTIR is offline Find More Posts by FTIR