Old Apr 12, 2014, 05:09 AM
Australia, WA, Garden Island
Joined Nov 2010
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety777 View Post
Hi Deckie,

Thanks for the advice.

That very rotary encoder limnits me to only 4 full rotations.
By expanding itīs library I should be able to expand that range but I really donīt even know where to start, let alone modify the library.
Partly for that reason Iīm looking for alternatives.

Greetings Josse
Hmmmm *opens default library*
Deckie is offline Find More Posts by Deckie
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2014, 06:14 AM
Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Hi Deckie,

I just read the rotary encoder stuff and found it has no limit to it's rotation, so that's the way I'll go.
See this story from the Arduino site:
A rotary or "shaft" encoder is an angular measuring device. It is used to precisely measure rotation of motors or to create wheel controllers (knobs) that can turn infinitely (with no end stop like a potentiometer has). Some of them are also equipped with a pushbutton when you press on the axis (like the ones used for navigation on many music controllers). They come in all kinds of resolutions, from maybe 16 to at least 1024 steps per revolution, and cost from 2 to maybe 200 EUR.

Greetings Josse
tweety777 is offline Find More Posts by tweety777
Old Apr 12, 2014, 07:43 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Found a Youtube how to on rotary encoders and discovered a drawback to rotary encoders.
As I want to use them to steer the ship I need an exact location of my steering stick before I can sail.
So it looks like I need a reference system that only record the angle of my steering but when I'm already recording that angle on a limitless set-up I could also use the angle measuring device (should that exist for this purpose, a compass wouldn't work) to steer the azimuths.

Another option would be to program the system such that I only need to put my steering sticks into the neutral position, then turn on the Arduino's inside the boat and have those turn the azimuths to the neutral position as well.

Greetings Josse
Old Apr 13, 2014, 04:25 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,006 Posts
Perhaps using a pair of linear pots at mutual right angles would give the direction of the azimuth drive. With an Arduino involved, information from a 2 axis stick should cause the drive to take up the required position. If the pots are connected by a con rod and slip eccentric, the azimuth can happily turn all day, no tangles, no motion stops. As an afterthought, when the stick is moved off normal, the deflection could be spotted by the Arduino and used to set the motor speed.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Apr 13, 2014, 09:15 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Hi MFR,

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it and how to incorporate it with the other elements.
The joysticks will exist of a turning table with the throttle stick on top of it.
Turning the azimuths will be by means of turning the turning table.
The turning table will make the exact same angle as the azimuth, maybe reverses when not at 0 or 180 degree angle to make the model turn left when the joystick is turned to the left.

Greetings Josse
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:00 AM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
Josse,

Go to Dock Talk and search on "Seapod". Gazou posted a thread about a new 360° controller board. He has also posted it on the two UK websites. He hasn't mentioned $ yet.
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Old Apr 13, 2014, 02:06 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the advice.

This is a stick for a normal transmitter but I will not use a normal transmitter as I'm already building my own custom made instrument panel.
For that instrument panel I'm already making my own joysticks for throttle and steering control.

Greetings Josse