HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:43 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
I've started on the FPV article but am a bit worried that it's going to be too boring. There's a lot of information to try and get across and it takes a bit of explaining. Maybe I should just put a link to the 'How to be successful' thread in the FPV forum and then just get straight to a quick tutorial on a basic setup. What do you guys think?

Maybe I should post what I have so far so that I can get some feedback?

http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr/
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:58 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Copter configurations

Can someone explain the differences / pro and cons to the different copter configurations.
I see the following configuration, why would you choose one style over the other?
Tricopter
Quadcopter
Hexcopter
H-copter
Spidercopter

Mike
Mic603 is offline Find More Posts by Mic603
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:05 PM
Support yer local CharlieSheen
Joined May 2011
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
Good luck getting several hundred yards into a dense forest on 5.8GHz! Maybe with a really really high gain helical antenna pointing directly at the copter and a skew planar on the video tx, but even then that would be tricky.

5.8GHz isn't bad, the record is over 20Km using only a 200mW video transmitter. The thing with quads is that they are great for flying in and around objects, and of all the frequencies we use for FPV, 5.8GHz is the worst for this.

I use 5.8GHz (200mW) on one of my copters, with a pair of circularly polarized antennas and it's good for over 500m, but I have video drop-outs as close as 60m if I fly behind something.
My personal best long range is 4km with a 2.4ghz system. 1000mw Vtx with IBcrazys cloverleaf rhcp antenna, 11dbi helical rhcp Vrx antenna , and a dragonlink uhf control upgrade on an old futaba radio. Flying out was all good but when I turned around the image got pretty grainy for a little while until I got about 1km closer, then it cleared up. I was fairly high up but being over a forest probably cut my range down since pine trees absorb radio signals, (or so I have heard).
isaacintheclouds is offline Find More Posts by isaacintheclouds
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:12 PM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic603 View Post
Can someone explain the differences / pro and cons to the different copter configurations.
I see the following configuration, why would you choose one style over the other?
Tricopter
Quadcopter
Hexcopter
H-copter
Spidercopter

Mike
Tricopter has 3 motors, so cheaper to build, good for FPV because of the Y shape

Quadcopter - h-copter and spider copter are just variations of a quadcopter that try to optimize it for carrying a camera without the props/frame being in view.

Hexacopter - more lifting capacity and a bit of motor redundancy in case one motor fails.

Octocopter - Even more lifting capacity and multiple motor redundancy.

Of course there are more variations like Y6, X8 quad+, quadx, Hexa+ and HexaX.

There isn't one configuration that is better than all others as they each have benefits depending on your needs. If you're just getting into multicopters then it's probably best to start with a simple quadcopter and go from there.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:17 PM
Support yer local CharlieSheen
Joined May 2011
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic603 View Post
Tricopter
Quadcopter
Hexcopter
H-copter
Spidercopter

Mike
IMHO, alot of it is personal preference. The spiders advantage is that the camera doesnt get the props in the picture and I imagine that the sunlight wont cause the shadow lines in the video and pics as much. In my experience, hexacopters are somewhat more stable than quad. Also, certain flight controllers like the DJI wookong-m can fly a hexa with one motor down. It spins the heli around the stopped motor and enables a controlled soft crash so the copter and equipment arent destroyed. Im not sure what the advantage to h or tri copters is aside from redundancy in the case of a Y6 or X8 configuration- if one motor fails it can maintain flight, (depending upon the weight, motor size etc.), but Im sure more resons will get posted... Cheers!
I started out with a Gaui quad and have been working my way up from there. I am currently working on getting my f550 hexa upgraded to heavy lift for an AG550 gimbal and a Sony NEX5N camera!
isaacintheclouds is offline Find More Posts by isaacintheclouds
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:53 AM
T-28 abuser
United States, NY, New Paltz
Joined May 2009
356 Posts
I see a lot of F450s with cameras mounted at the front of the top plate.
I tried this and even with the battery mounted as far back as possible the CG is still WAY to the front. How are people balancing them, or are they just flying them with the forward CG and letting whatever FC they are using deal with it?
Thanks.
bigstatik is offline Find More Posts by bigstatik
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:32 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Maybe smaller camera or bigger battery?
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:58 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstatik View Post
I see a lot of F450s with cameras mounted at the front of the top plate.
I tried this and even with the battery mounted as far back as possible the CG is still WAY to the front. How are people balancing them, or are they just flying them with the forward CG and letting whatever FC they are using deal with it?
Thanks.
A well tuned flight controller will allow you to fly with an off balance CofG, but it's not ideal as you'll be running those motors harder all the time and it may cause control problems at high throttle values. With the RC receiver mounted on the opposite side and with the battery mounted as far back as possible it is possible to get a reasonably well balanced 450 with the GoPro mounted on the front.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:13 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
Quote:
Maybe I should just put a link to the 'How to be successful' thread in the FPV forum and then just get straight to a quick tutorial on a basic setup.
Good idea, go for it

Another article idea : how do open up a motor, what to check, how to repair it ?
alainphoto is offline Find More Posts by alainphoto
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:09 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alainphoto View Post
Good idea, go for it

Another article idea : how do open up a motor, what to check, how to repair it ?
Apart from changing a worn bearing, I rarely go there and wouldn't want to risk a dodgy motor on my copter and would prefer to change the motor.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:06 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Apart from changing a worn bearing, I rarely go there and wouldn't want to risk a dodgy motor on my copter and would prefer to change the motor.
But still..

How to identify a bad motor.
How to identify a bent shaft.
How to identify worn bearings.
Signs that a motor is failing.

Also maybe some basic flowcharts for flying problems

My multi tips to the right
Can't hover
Turns to the left

Links to good training "stick videos".
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:09 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alainphoto View Post
Good idea, go for it

This will depend on what motor you are using. The only "serviceable" part inside a motor would be to replace the bearings. Unless you are a pro and want to re-wind a motor.
AcroFPV is offline Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:58 PM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
But still..

How to identify a bad motor.
How to identify a bent shaft.
How to identify worn bearings.
Signs that a motor is failing.

Also maybe some basic flowcharts for flying problems

My multi tips to the right
Can't hover
Turns to the left

Links to good training "stick videos".
I'm busy working on the FPV articles, but I'll think about it when I've finished those. Maybe I can get a motor fetishist to be a guest writer and do an article for me, because I've never even considered re-winding a motor (probably because I don't own any really expensive motors). The only things I;ve ever replaced are worn bearings and bent/broken shafts and even then, it's hardly worth the effort.

http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr/
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:42 PM
T-28 abuser
United States, NY, New Paltz
Joined May 2009
356 Posts
Quote:
A well tuned flight controller will allow you to fly with an off balance CofG, but it's not ideal as you'll be running those motors harder all the time and it may cause control problems at high throttle values. With the RC receiver mounted on the opposite side and with the battery mounted as far back as possible it is possible to get a reasonably well balanced 450 with the GoPro mounted on the front.
Thanks, I am using a Canon SD870is. It's atleast twice as heavy as a go pro.
Maybe I need to mount it closer to the center.
bigstatik is offline Find More Posts by bigstatik
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:43 PM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Why not extend the landing legs on your F450 frame and mount your camera underneath?