HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2003, 03:52 PM
Spark antenna on my Tx !
USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Mar 1999
436 Posts
803HC Astro Combo for Corona exp. (?)

Hello Corona Flyers,

I searched and searched ezone regarding the BL motors available for the Corona. I read a plenty about the older Astroflight 020 and related ESC and motor heat issues.

If you're running the newer (bronze-colored) 020 in your Corona...

1. Does it run hot (temperature) on 7 cells ? How about on 8 ?

2. What pinion/cell count are you using ?

3. Are all the CC ESC issues worked out (not enough copper on the board, BEC shutdowns, etc.) ?

Thanks in advance,

Eric
eekflyer is offline Find More Posts by eekflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:52 PM
United States, MN, Big Lake
Joined Sep 2003
274 Posts
Newer Astro 020 for Corona:

I have been running the 020 w/ CC Phoenix 25 for about 2 months on my Corona and have posted some observations about its performance here. Search on my name.
Aerospacer is offline Find More Posts by Aerospacer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2003, 05:48 PM
Spark antenna on my Tx !
USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Mar 1999
436 Posts
Hi Aerospacer,

Thanks for your reply about the 020 and your Corona. I searched on your name and replies.

Maybe I missed the answers for which I'm looking...

Does the new one run hot like the old ?

Do you run it on 8 cells ?

Thanks !

Eric
Old Nov 25, 2003, 08:06 PM
Gravity Tester
Central Michigan
Joined May 2003
1,133 Posts
All motors will get "hot". If a brushless motor is 85% efficient, and it's drawing 20 amps at 8 volts for a total of 160 watts, the motor will produce 136 watts of power (~.18 Horsepower) and 24 watts of heat. 24 watts is a fair amount of heat to get rid of and a heat sink (with it's increased surface area) will radiate the heat better than just the can itself.

I've been running the old version of the 020 and since installing a heatsink and finding a more efficient drive ratio, the motor doesn't get as hot as it might. Its still "hot" to the touch if I fly with the canopy on and not as hot if I fly with the canopy off. Either way, Its working good for me and has been problem free.

The last time I measured the temp of the motor case after flying with the canopy on in hot weather, it was about 160 deg. F. That's hot to the touch and uncomfortable to hang on to but still a safe operating temperature IMO.

Lance
KnimRod is offline Find More Posts by KnimRod
Old Nov 25, 2003, 10:04 PM
United States, MN, Big Lake
Joined Sep 2003
274 Posts
Corona On the "new" Astro 020:

I run mine with the stock gear ratio of 11.3 to 1 and 6/6 blade grips. The AUW is 44 oz. I have a full canopy and the stock battery position. The only ventilation I have is the cut out of the fake intake on the left side of the canopy above the engine. I mostly use 7-cell 1900SCR nicads. This gives me about 8+ minute flights. I never had any heating problems even with the Fusion 35 motor and a couple of Kyosho Mad Science models (14-T & 16-T).

For me, the new style Astro 020 is hardly warm to the touch after a flight. I suspect that if I were running a 3300 mah battery, the motor would start to get warmer but I doubt it would be a severe problem. I think the Astro 020 could use a little more "energy" that an 8-cell would supply for some rocket-like vertical but for average flying, I find the 7-cells just fine. 8-cell operation shouldn't add much more to the motor heating other than having to lug around another couple of ounces of dead weight. A 3s3p Li-Po might be a better approach to longer duration without worrying about motor heating.
Aerospacer is offline Find More Posts by Aerospacer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Aerospacer; Nov 25, 2003 at 11:03 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 10:18 PM
Spark antenna on my Tx !
USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Mar 1999
436 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I was concerned about the very hot conditions I've read about regarding the 020. Maybe the newest design has corrected for this.

Eric