SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:15 PM
teamwork, do it my way!
Dubai, UAE
Joined Jun 2007
738 Posts
Hi all,

Glad to see you are all getting along here LOL... trolls, eh?

I for one am very grateful that Andy is around here to give us some help, and insight and that the 'special' people don't chase him away.

I have a warranty related question, and it would appear that it is this subject matter that got everyone's panties in a bunch...I hope mine is a valid question, and I'd so, I will take the answer and corresponding advice, like an adult. Here goes...

I bought a DX18 from an Internet vendor, as my local HH agent in Dubai advised me that they were not going to be stocking it anytime soon (this was two months back, and they have recently have got stock) and I needed one urg as my DX6i had been sold.
Anyway, I got the set with the AR9100 (I think). The Tx has been bound with existing Rx's and working flawlessly. Now that my new project is underway, I tried to fire up the Ex, and it is DEAD.

When I connected it up, it seems that the Rx will not power up. I have checked and rechecked the wiring, confirmed that the power source is functional (6v) and within the manufacturer limits. As I connect the power source, I get a momentary flash of the LED, and then it goes off...and nothing....
I took it to the local agent for Horizon and they tried it, it seems to be a dud Rx...

Now my question regarding the warranty. Do I need to send it back to where I got it, or will the local,HH agent be Ble to help me? I would understand their reluctance, as I never bought it from them, but them they did not have stock, and I needed the unit. I normally like to support them, especially with the HH products as their pricing is very competitive with Internet prices, once you include the shipping to the UAE. And I am a firm believer in supporting my LHS whenever I can.

I look forward to constructive commentary and advice.

Thanks,
Andy L
Cathurga is online now Find More Posts by Cathurga
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:30 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,222 Posts
Andy,

The most common problem is that the power leads get plugged in backwards. It won't cause damage - try flipping the power cable over. When installed correctly on that rx, the brown leads are to the edge of the case and the yellow leads are down the centerline. And you perfectly described the symptom of how it behaves.

In Europe you would be sending it back to the local dealer. Where you bought it (country) would affect the return policy. You could try contacting the UK office and see if they are the correct warranty facility for UAE.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:45 PM
teamwork, do it my way!
Dubai, UAE
Joined Jun 2007
738 Posts
Andy, thanks for the prompt response.

I did check that the power cable wasn't switched around... The pos, neg, signal icons are printed on the casing so pretty hard to screw it up....not that I haven't done THAT

I bought the radio from a US seller, so will probably send it back to them....just thought the local guys would be able to deal with it as the only HH agent in the Middle East...to the best of my knowledge..l
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:17 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,359 Posts
Do you have both aux rx plugged into correct rx ports?
I saw this problem once -
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:19 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Man I LOVE this radio. Got it, took it out of the box and charged it overnight. Took it out to the workshop where my current project is going on (Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon), and literally had it programmed with all canards, thrust vectoring, control throws, (high and low), dual rates and expo all working properly within a couple of hours with only DX6i experience to go by. This thing is sweet.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:57 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Dubai, UAE
Joined Jun 2007
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Do you have both aux rx plugged into correct rx ports?
I saw this problem once -
Richard, can I assume you mean both of the satellite Rx's? If so, then yes, they were plugged in at the time of testing.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:46 AM
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Aug 2008
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathurga View Post
Richard, can I assume you mean both of the satellite Rx's? If so, then yes, they were plugged in at the time of testing.
I assume you've tried rebinding and verified that the Tx is still selecting the correct model memory, etc??? Does it flash if you install a bind plug? If not, I guess it's time to send it back.. Do you have another receiver and does the Tx operate correctly with it?
wfield0455 is online now Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:33 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455 View Post
... Does it flash if you install a bind plug? If not, I guess it's time to send it back. ...
But before you do that try another bind plug first. They can break and not function these bind plug which are just wire jumpers shorting out the ground and signal pin.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:52 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Dubai, UAE
Joined Jun 2007
738 Posts
vfield, never used it before, and when there is a bind plug in, it does abolutely nothing. Re-checked the placement of the plugs/power.....still nothing. Will be sending it back.

Freechip, yeah, tried a known good one, all ok there.

Thanks for the help lads, this ones going back. A bit disappointed as I am now out of pocket, and a brand new part is non functional.

Anyways....I need one before I can get my project going....
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:46 AM
Always trying to learn
United States, IL, Batavia
Joined Feb 2011
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathurga View Post
vfield, never used it before, and when there is a bind plug in, it does abolutely nothing. Re-checked the placement of the plugs/power.....still nothing. Will be sending it back.

Freechip, yeah, tried a known good one, all ok there.

Thanks for the help lads, this ones going back. A bit disappointed as I am now out of pocket, and a brand new part is non functional.

Anyways....I need one before I can get my project going....
Given your location but also the fact that you bought it from a US retailer I'm not quite sure how it works, but if I had the same situation here in the states I wouldn't necessarily expect to send the system back to the retailer but rather to Horizon for repair or replacement. Can you contact the Horizon Service Center in the States and see if they can handle it and send you a replacement? They have great service and there was another poster (I can't remember where) who made reference to Horizon shipping him a replacement Rx on the honor system that he would send his original back.
mejmea is offline Find More Posts by mejmea
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:06 PM
United Kingdom, England, Clevedon
Joined Jun 2007
131 Posts
New DX18 arrived today very very happy
FlyingKiwi22 is offline Find More Posts by FlyingKiwi22
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:23 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,588 Posts
Wait until you start using it, if you're anything like me you will never be able to go back to what you hade before.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi22 View Post
New DX18 arrived today very very happy
Make sure you test it very thoroughly on the ground before putting a beloved aircraft into the air. Pay attention to the gimbals.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:12 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Make sure you test it very thoroughly on the ground before putting a beloved aircraft into the air. Pay attention to the gimbals.
Hmn....gimbles were fine on mine. Did you drop yours?
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:24 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Maybe your batch of radio has gimbal issues, where does it say it's made from?