SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 03, 2010, 10:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
55 Posts
Discussion
Easytiger Giant Scale Yak-3U

It's 96". Glass fuselage, wood wings, ARF. All painted, hand painted markings. This is the test model, will be airborne in a few days. It's the first one out of the molds. Don't expect any issues flying it, remember, it's not our first barbecue, this is about the tenth giant warbird we have done, after the Bearcat, P47, Zero, Me109, etc., but until it is flight proven, it will not go on sale.
This test model will sport a Tiger Power 100 outrunner on 12s, but it is made from the ground up for either glow or electric(big huge hatch built in), 75cc and up. Perfect for a Moki radial. We sell an awful lot of Bearcats and such for guys looking for a home for a Moki.
Anyway, no issues to speak of assembling the prototype so far, it's very refined and evolved. Just need to put in a receiver and bolt on the motor, the rest is done.
squidgy is offline Find More Posts by squidgy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2010, 11:43 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,354 Posts
That is sweeet
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Dec 04, 2010, 04:50 PM
I miss my planes...
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Dec 2006
509 Posts
That looks pretty sharp.
Lag_Janson is offline Find More Posts by Lag_Janson
Old Dec 04, 2010, 05:54 PM
352nd FGA
USA, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2006
650 Posts
Yak-3U - experimental with air-cooled engine ASh-82FN. Made in spring 1945 at the factory number 153 in Novosibirsk. Tested, but because of the war was near the end , the series did not commit
Alrus1 is online now Find More Posts by Alrus1
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2010, 09:12 PM
Amped UP!
Saint Cloud FL
Joined Jan 2007
705 Posts
The first photo looks like my shop minus the Yak-3U.
AR1516 is offline Find More Posts by AR1516
Old Dec 05, 2010, 06:22 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR1516 View Post
The first photo looks like my shop minus the Yak-3U.
Gee, and the maid was just here! You think I don't pay her enough?

The Yak is all done, just need to balance her(typically, a plane like this needs a pound or two in the snout), and I need a break in the weather.
The Tiger Power 100 outunner with CC 160 controller is shown also.
snorkyjones is offline Find More Posts by snorkyjones
Old Dec 05, 2010, 06:58 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
10 Posts
Ah, but there is more to the Yak-3u story...actually, the plane is in CURRENT PRODUCTION...look it up, it's pretty interesting!
If you had to make an analogy, this plane would be a Russkie Bearcat or Sea Fury. Very high performance.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 08:49 PM
I miss my planes...
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Dec 2006
509 Posts
Modified Yak-11 airframes, yes. Also still in production is the Yak-3M with the allison engine mated on. Quite interesting to have new planes off the assembly line of such fighter.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 09:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
10 Posts
It really is! Totally fascinating. One of the reasons we chose it over other Russian fighters. Another reason was because it has a huge radial cowl to accomodate Moki radials. Belive it or not, there are a LOT of those Mokis around, and a lot of them looking for an airframe to get into.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 05:03 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2003
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lag_Janson View Post
Modified Yak-11 airframes, yes. Also still in production is the Yak-3M with the allison engine mated on. Quite interesting to have new planes off the assembly line of such fighter.
Just an FYI, There are no new production Yakovlevs of any kind being built now. The last factory aircraft was this one being modeled. It is named "SteadFast" and is the fastest "Small" engined Yak ever at the Reno National Championship Air Races. See www.teamsteadfast.com for more pictures and its history.
whiteside is offline Find More Posts by whiteside
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:32 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2003
6 Posts
BTW, The full scale SteadFast sports a US R-2000 7M2 off a Dehavilland Caribou made by Pratt & Whitney. It belts out 1450 HP dry or 1750 HP with Water Injection. It has a cut down(10') HU-16 Albatross Amphib blades in a T-28 43D50 hub with an S2 Tracker dome. Hydraulic Brakes off a Cessna Conquest, U.S. instruments and radios. The aircraft originated from the Klimov V-12 powered Yak 3 then they stuck the firewall forward of a Lavochkin LA5FN on it and called it a Yakovlev 3U-ASH82 with 1850 HP. I have had it to 425 MPH IAS and 465 MPH TAS if you understand the difference. The redline is 460 MPH. It is about 40 MPH faster than a fast stock P51D running at 61" and 3000 RPM. It will out maneuver a stock P51 with ease up to 10,000'. You'll be delighted at how nice the design lends itself to beautiful aerobatics and pretty fly bys!
Thanks to these guys for producing such a pretty rendition of my airplane!
Will Whiteside
Team SteadFast
Team Voodoo
whiteside@aol.com
whiteside is offline Find More Posts by whiteside
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:43 PM
I miss my planes...
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Dec 2006
509 Posts
Didn't realize they had closed down production again. Team Steadfast is the only website I've found stating that. Now, I also can't find anything saying that they are still in production either. Just a bunch of websites saying that a new run had been started in 1995.