HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2010, 03:22 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,294 Posts
Discussion
control horns

hey guys, How do you guys build your model's control horns. I keep running into the problem that if I buy control horns the hole are always too big for the wire that I am using. Not only that but my LHS sells 3 for over 2 euro. The builder in me just doesn't like that.

I have used ice creams sticks but it seems the best way of holding them in place is with hot glue. This just adds extra weight. I am starting to build much larger planes now and I have the feeling that this might not be the best method.

What is the best method when creating control horns that give you a little bit control in how much throw you put in? I would love to see different methods people are using because I have 2 planes sitting around ready to fly part from the control horns.
whakahere is online now Find More Posts by whakahere
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:35 PM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,613 Posts
I use 1/32" ply. I cut about 20 or 30 of them with a pair of scissors and drill the right size hole. I have also used some of them gonzo sized cable ties. Clip off a piece as long as you need and drill your own holes. I used a piece of plastic corner bead for drywall as well as those fake credit cards you get in the mail. I glued the all with just enough epoxy to get the job done. I use this on foamies up to about 30" or 1lb. Anything bigger and I just use commercial control horns. I bought a bunch of 1/2A controls horns and recycle them when I toss a plane. I'm sure there are 100 other snarky control horn ideas on here.
bullseye000 is online now Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:41 PM
Crash it first, Then fly it
The Big Apple
Joined Jul 2008
536 Posts
You could also use old credit cards, and cut them.

Another idea is to use zipties, but those aren't so good.

I've tried this once: you could use the back end of a pen ( the clicky part) and us that, Drill a hole in it for the control rod. I don't know if this is good, because the plane I used it on never flew

I wouldn't really suggest using my latter method, its' just a idea
Griffindor is offline Find More Posts by Griffindor
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:50 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,930 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8810

Here's how I do it. credit cards, works for large and small planes. Haven't bought a store bought horn set yet. I do like hot glue best, but i position the horn on foam control surface, then cut slot with xacto, poke some holes in the horn base that goes into the foam, apply small bead of glue to bottom edge and press in. I usually add a small fillet bead especially on larger planes.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:11 PM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
If you are flying water planes or flying off wet grass , be sure to waterproof your ply horns . They get very weak and bendy when they get wet . I coat mine with epoxy or use credit cards.
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:30 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
I use popsicle sticks, Lite Ply and credit cards and drill out the hole size and location where I want it.
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:46 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,294 Posts
looks like I am finding credit cards to cut up. they are bad anyway right??

The problem I do have is that in Germany they don't seem to be giving out free credit cards. I will need to find some other plastic card type. Off looking now!

thanks guys.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:44 PM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,297 Posts
whakahere

Also try looking at gift cards in local stores. There are lots out around Christmas here in the States. You can get a couple of them and just not put prepaid cash on them.
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:04 PM
Bellingham, wa
Joined Oct 2009
96 Posts
i am using bread tabs on my scratch cub, and used some of the frame from my floppy disk (hinges) to make horns for a different project, to drill the hole i just use a piece of the wire.
biznak is offline Find More Posts by biznak
Old Oct 19, 2010, 01:57 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,294 Posts
I love the gift card idea. So basically I tell them I need it so I can buy their goods and ... sorry I cut it up to make control horns. Great idea
Old Oct 19, 2010, 03:00 AM
Ajutor de băgător de seamă
San Carlos, CA
Joined Mar 2004
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biznak View Post
i am using bread tabs on my scratch cub, and used some of the frame from my floppy disk (hinges) to make horns for a different project, to drill the hole i just use a piece of the wire.
Excellent idea! Maybe they use the same thing in Germany too. For those who don't know what a bread tab is, the first hit on google images is a good picture of one.
gigelus2k3 is offline Find More Posts by gigelus2k3
Old Oct 19, 2010, 04:54 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigelus2k3 View Post
Excellent idea! Maybe they use the same thing in Germany too. For those who don't know what a bread tab is, the first hit on google images is a good picture of one.
We do have those bread tabs .... the thing is that is on the cheap bread and my wife only buys the best. She is German and bread mad!

I am now looking out for all the things I can find. Looks like I won't be buying control horns anymore!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 06:21 AM
Flying more::repairing less
The Alamo City
Joined Feb 2007
67 Posts
I have used Dental Flossers. You can buy a whole bag full for a buck at Dollar Tree.

Lots of good idea in this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856127
trteboe is offline Find More Posts by trteboe
Last edited by trteboe; Oct 19, 2010 at 06:22 AM. Reason: added thread link
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:17 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,175 Posts
I use the 1/32 ply for the smaller planes. I have drilled smaller holes between the holes in commercial horns. Square drain pipe works well for larger horns using the right angle corners. Great for disposable combat planes.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:25 AM
RC Addict
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2006
2,259 Posts
Be careful using the thin ply for larger planes. I made fairly large 1/32" control horns for my 55" Edge, and broke an aileron horn on the maiden flight. Replaced them with gift card horns, and have not had any problems since.
anatoly is online now Find More Posts by anatoly