SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 03, 2009, 09:11 AM
AMA 562227
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Jan 2003
628 Posts
Discussion
Sanding and Finishing Elapopr or Z-Foam?

I'm sorry if this topic has been covered here before. My searches haven't turned up much information...

I've got three kit-bash projects underway at the moment that all involve Elapor or Z-foam, and all require sanding the foam. When I sand the foam the surface gets real fuzzy and bumpy, and looks bad next to the unsanded areas of the airframe. I can cover the whole thing in colored packing tape and get a 10-foot quality finish, but I really prefer to paint if possible and that requires a smoother finish overall.

Is there any way to sand this type of foam and preserve a surface that's somewhat close to the original smoothness of the foam? Without the shine of course. Or, is there any other finishing method that will provide a consistent surface over the whole airframe? I've been tempted to try to finish after sanding with WPBU and 1/2-oz fiberglass but my hobby time is pretty short these days and if there's an easier way I'd like to hear it. I'm not sure flexible foams like these would respond well to a more rigid finish anyway...

So, how do you guys finish sanded Elapor of Z-Foam?
Three-Wire is online now Find More Posts by Three-Wire
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2009, 09:27 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
I slightly thin this and brush on or use an old credit card to wipe on this
http://www.reddevil.com/howtopatch.cfm all over dries within minutes on a hot day and lightly sand with 400 open cut paper and i use an acrylic paint.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Sep 03, 2009, 02:07 PM
AMA 562227
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Jan 2003
628 Posts
The lightweight spackle works great for me on EPS foam and Blucor... I could never finish a GWS model without it! But I didn't think it would stick very well to Z-Foam or Elapor. I'll have to try it on a test piece.

Has anyone else ever tried to put a nice finish on a modified hobbyzone, parkzone, or multiplex model?
Three-Wire is online now Find More Posts by Three-Wire