HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:04 PM
No Boundaries
Australia, VIC, Forest Hill
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
A friend of mine runs his 55" balsa on 3s.
His setup is a 3026 810kv motor, 60a speedy and an 15x8 apc prop. It pulls approximately 50a wot and he gets around 7 mins from a 4200 mah 3s pack.

Would suit this type of plane nicely I think (providing prop clearance isn't an issue)
Two Dogs Dave is offline Find More Posts by Two Dogs Dave
Last edited by Two Dogs Dave; Dec 07, 2012 at 07:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:47 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Dogs Dave View Post
A friend of mine runs his 57" balsa on 3s.
His setup is a 3026 810kv motor, 60a speedy and an 15x8 apc prop. It pulls approximately 50a wot and he gets around 7 mins from a 4200 mah 3s pack.

Would suit this type of plane nicely I think (providing prop clearance isn't an issue)
50 amps x 11V or thereabouts = 550W = not enough grunt for groovejet on a 2.1kg+ plane . My guess is your friend has a PA Katana MX, which is very light for its size; otherwise, I assume that your friend is not a power fiend like I am .

I have finished building the plane but have yet to program it into my radio. It looks like I am relatively nose heavy, which is opposite to my WM 48in Extra SEPP planes. I plan to position my two 3 cell lipos one in front of the other. The rear lipo will be underneath the front wing hooks. The fuselage tray in that area is not particularly strong, since I am pretty sure that the lipos are meant to be further forward where the tray is stronger. I plan to cut open the fuselage and add some icypole sticks to strengthen the area where my rear lipo will be located.

I'll charge up some lipos later and do some power tests, which should be interesting . Right now I am going outside to take some photos of my plane .
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:20 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,898 Posts
Photos

My wife calls this plane "citrus dream" .
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:52 AM
No Boundaries
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
Lol..power fiend

Groove I look forward to your flight report on this one
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:51 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,898 Posts
Hey Dave. The weather forecast for the weekend doesn't look too good due to strong wind, so I may have to wait a few days before I can maiden this plane.

I strengthened the turtledeck tray in the area that my rear lipo is likely to be located. I cut open the EPP skin on the bottom of the fuselage right behind the landing gear and added some icypole stick pieces. Here are the "before" and "after" photos. You can see some of the polyurethane glue that I had previously used to strengthen the landing gear slot.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:34 AM
China, Guangdong, Zhuhai
Joined Nov 2010
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Dogs Dave View Post
A friend of mine runs his 57" balsa on 3s.

I am using a 3S 3250mah battery+1020KV motor+14*7E prop setup for one of my 55in balsa.

The AUG of the plane is 1855g, the setup pulls 75A at peak and then get stable at 70A. 5 minutes 3D flying.

Click here for details:

http://www.3d-fly.com/0426%20Slick54...0jianzhong.htm
CNJ3 is offline Find More Posts by CNJ3
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:50 AM
No Boundaries
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
Nice work GrooveJet.. Shame the maiden has to wait

Hey CNJ3, that looks like an awesome 3s setup for a light 55"er
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:13 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,898 Posts
Well, there's a good reason why I generally haven't bothered to estimate a CoG using my fingers for a few years; it turns out that I was well off on my guess at where the lipos would need to be. Still, I prefer to be prepared to move the lipos around a lot and fly hard on maiden day, so if I'd needed to locate them towards the rear, the mods I made would've supported the flight stresses I anticipated on maiden day .

Here's a photo of where the lipos ended up and I suspect that I might be _slightly_ tail-heavy still, though it was very, very windy and hard to tell for certain. I will need a much calmer day before I can truly work out where to balance this plane. In the meantime, I will move some gear around in case I am still a bit tail heavy.

Nac got some video that I am currently working on. I'll post a video later on.

I've only had 3 flights on this plane so far and it was very, very windy on all 3 flights, but I feel that I have a good enough feel for this plane already to tell that it is a definite keeper .
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:51 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,898 Posts
Video of Flight #3 on maiden day

Here's the video from flight #3 on maiden day. It was very windy, but this plane handled it quite well. The video is essentially the full flight; I just cut out a bit in the middle when Nac lost sight of the plane for a bit and I also cut off the landing as it was a slow and careful approach due to the gusts of wind.

Winner's Model 55in Slick 360 SEPP - Flight #3 on a Really Windy Maiden Day (4 min 45 sec)

Thanks for Nac once again for doing an excellent job of filming my plane .
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:59 AM
KING of PING!
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2008
1,050 Posts
[QUOTE=groovejet;23471408]Here's the video from flight #3 on maiden day.

Groove is the flying experience any better over the 48 inch, considering the price difference for model plus components? thanks
JDMCARPETS is offline Find More Posts by JDMCARPETS
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:29 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,898 Posts
[QUOTE=JDMCARPETS;23472310]
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
Here's the video from flight #3 on maiden day.

Groove is the flying experience any better over the 48 inch, considering the price difference for model plus components? thanks
JDM,

I've only had 3 flights on it so far and all of them were in very, very strong wind. It certainly handles the wind better than the smaller and lighter 48" EPP planes. In the windy conditions it felt like a larger version of the Winner's Model 48" Extra 330LX SEPP to me. I had the 48" Extra there as well and flew it in the same windy conditions and the larger 55" Slick was easier to manage, particular when trying to land. Size and weight does seem to help in strong wind .
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:03 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,898 Posts
Is anyone else flying this plane yet? The weekend is almost here and hopefully the weather will be suitable for me to fly this plane again .
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:52 AM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,678 Posts
Hopefully this weekend, last weekend was a wash, literally.AUW came out at 4.5 Ilbs on a 4s 3700 set up.
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:28 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,948 Posts
Hey GJ, I'm really torn between this plane and the EF 64" MXS. I know they are completely different planes so I'm not concerned so much in comparing flight characteristics but am wondering about some of the construction on the Slick. Do they essentially use the same lite ply as on the 48" planes or is it a little heavier? Are the cf stringers the same size as the 48" planes or is it a little heavier? It also looks like the lg is a little on the light side for this big a plane or is it a larger diameter Wire than the 48" planes? the other part of my concerns is that I would be using a slightly heavier much more powerful motor and 4s 4000 mah batts that are also heavier and wonder if this airframe can handle the weight or if it will screw up the flight characteristics. I like a little heavier plane with more inertia for higher energy type aerobatics but still fully 3D capable so I like a plane with good snap but also stable slow post stall capabilities and so far can't tell from the vids I've seen if this plane meets this criteria. Thanks for any opinions you can offer. Les.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:12 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,678 Posts
Maiden compllete and success. Really like the way this flys. I'm flying with a lighter set up
Hyperion ZS 3025-10 200 gram motor, suppose to pull around 1100-1200 watts
Older Rhino 4s 25c 3700 batts, still in good shape though
Airboss 80 ESC
4x HS 225 MG's- Had them so used them
15x7 Vess prop
AUW is 4.53 Ilbs according to my digital scale
Plenty of power, it is tail heavy but still flies fine, KE's are pretty much hands off, upright harriers have zero wingrock, snaps into hovers are fun, have to work on the KE spins, got a couple good ones in but also lost a couple, great in the precision flying area, as much as I do. Rolls are very axial. Hovers are very easy. Flies like a larger plane. Very controllable. LG wire seems to hold up fine for the 3 landings I did. I fly off of a grass field but usually try to land in the ball diamond area. This airframe may benefit with a slightly heavier motor up front than what I have in it but personally I am very happy with the way it flies. I like lighter flying airframes. Wish they went ahead and made this in a 48" airframe, I'd pick one up. Hope this helps anyone.
Steve
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa