HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:00 AM
Three cards shy of a full deck
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2012
112 Posts
Question
Tx and LiPo

Can't you change out just about any Tx battery to LiPo if you keep voltage and size allowance into consideration???
Reason I ask is I have an Airtronics Infinity with a bad NiCad pack and would like to use this gear..sadly it's from the mid 90's so obsolete, but it is computer with multi plane memory, voltage read out onscreen reads 11v on the left side of the screen and reads the pack voltage on the right. usually 9.v something. and dies quickly...
This leads me to believe that the Tx can use voltages from 11v down to 9.6 correct?
charger for the Tx says 12v, and it came with radio
I have seen 11.1 LiPo conversion done on a forum page somewhere...
I don't have the manual for this Tx or at least I should say I have one, and moved twice and now can't find it..
TJWright is offline Find More Posts by TJWright
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:24 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJWright View Post
Can't you change out just about any Tx battery to LiPo if you keep voltage and size allowance into consideration???
Reason I ask is I have an Airtronics Infinity with a bad NiCad pack and would like to use this gear..sadly it's from the mid 90's so obsolete, but it is computer with multi plane memory, voltage read out onscreen reads 11v on the left side of the screen and reads the pack voltage on the right. usually 9.v something. and dies quickly...
This leads me to believe that the Tx can use voltages from 11v down to 9.6 correct?
I don't have the manual for this Tx or at least I should say I have one, and moved twice and now can't find it..
While Lipo does have some advantage, the cost/disadvantage outweighs the advantages. At that voltage, I suspect that is an 8 cell. I would look at using eneloops instead.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:50 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,635 Posts
I used to use a lipo from Hobbyking in my old Spektrum DX7 with no problems. I did put a diode in the line to drop the voltage a bit but many did it without the diode. Was still in it when I sold it. Choices...choices.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:48 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
I used to use a lipo from Hobbyking in my old Spektrum DX7 with no problems. I did put a diode in the line to drop the voltage a bit but many did it without the diode. Was still in it when I sold it. Choices...choices.

Gord.
Gord,

I used Lipo in my JR 72mhz for many years without a hitch and sold it that way too; however when I got the DX7 when using with Lipo it got quite warm where the holes on the top was. Not sure if it was due to lipo usage, but i started having mysterious dropouts. After sending it in for repair, I've since switched to eneloops and would never use Lipo again nor recommend it. Maybe it was a coincident, but I won't chance when such a viable alternative exist.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:27 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,376 Posts
TJWright,

Eneloop are really the way to go in a transmitter (Tx). Search for eneloop and you'll find threads as to why.

I just put a new Sanyo Eneloop 2000mah NiMH AA 9.6V 8-Cell Tx Square Pack in my Hitec Optic 6 and have had one in my Hitec Eclipse 7 for several years now.

Radical RC, Dave Thacker, is where I got mine.
http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Tx...-NiMH--NiCd-20

Scroll down the page or search the page for Eneloop. They are near the bottom of the page.
Ken Myers is online now Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:43 AM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
529 Posts
I like LiFe batteries in transmitters and receivers.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...tter-Batteries
Da Big_G is online now Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:57 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,635 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Pack_.htmlThis is what I use in the DX8. Last time it was charged was June 28. Still shows 7.3 volts. Probably charge it again about this time next month and I do use it a lot.

Gord.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:37 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,169 Posts
You have to spend more time at the field actually flying Gord, not nursing a hot cup of Tim Hortons
Love the lipo in a TX. The battery for my 8FG is only 2500mAh, good for about 10 hours on actual use. With the time I spend thermaling these days, I'd have trouble getting through a full day at the field with an old school Nicd.
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:49 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Pack_.htmlThis is what I use in the DX8. Last time it was charged was June 28. Still shows 7.3 volts. Probably charge it again about this time next month and I do use it a lot.

Gord.
This is great thank you. I hate having to charge the stock battery all the time.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:55 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,635 Posts
Yeah, mine pooped out in about 3 months from new.

Gord.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:11 AM
Lipoflyer
Joined Sep 2012
17 Posts
Safely use a LiPo in your Tx and Flight Pack!

I build and sell custom products for safely using Li-Pos in 9.6V transmitters and in Flight packs. The Li-Po Power Board is for use in any 9.6V Tx, and it plugs in between the 3-cell lipo and your transmitter. It keeps the max voltage to 12V, and it shuts off the battery before it ruins itself if you leave your switch on all weekend! It will never shut it off while you are flying though, because your Tx will alarm and shut down first! I have a board for any 9.6V Tx, and a custom drop-in replacement board for the DX7. I also have an in-line Servo Regulator/Signal Amplifier module to target low-voltage servos. No need to use a big expensive regulator in front of your entire flight pack, when the Rx's can take 9V. Use this in-line regulator on only the servos/gyros that need either 5.1V or 5.6V (you specify the voltage)! I also have a Smart Soft Switch that lets you use a 2-cell Li-Po on your flight pack. Use your existing ON/OFF switch, but it becomes a soft-switch. Battery power does not flow through the switch contacts. The Smart Soft Switch monitors your Li-Po voltage and sounds an audible alarm when it is less than 6.8V. When the alarm begins to sound, and if you are not actively flying, the Smart Soft Switch will turn off the battery (saving it from ruin) after 5 minutes. If you ARE flying, however (it monitors a channel like aileron), then the alarm will continue to sound, but the Smart Soft Switch will leave your battery ON. But like any other flight pack battery, if you fly too long, your battery will die. It's a great smart switch, allows you to use Li-Pos, sounds a low voltage alarm, turns off after no channel activity for 5 minutes, and won't let you even turn on your system if the voltage is already below 6.8V so you don't take off with a dangerously low battery! Search for Li-Po Power Board, and Servo Voltage Regulator/Signal Amplifier on e-bay. Smart Soft Switch is available now, but not on e-bay yet! Be the first at your field to show one off! I'll e-mail more detailed product descriptions if you're interested! dgolding7668@msn.com
dgolding is offline Find More Posts by dgolding
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:47 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,940 Posts
Wow, reading that in it's entirety was painful. Proper
punctuation
and paragraph structure would be really helpful.
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:41 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJWright View Post
There are loads of guys who make up battery packs to order ... and not expensive. Google will throw up many ... as well as Ebay. No need to change charging regime or system then .. you can get higher capacity pack made up ...

I have a 1980's JR Propo .. the NiCd pack died long ago ... small company made up a 2600mAh NiMH pack exact same shape / style and fits perfectly ... a totally new lease of life for the old girl.

Personally I am against this rush to fit LiPo's to Tx's .......... NiMH is fine and charges normally via the plug with the old same charger.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:49 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Myers View Post
TJWright,

Eneloop are really the way to go in a transmitter (Tx). Search for eneloop and you'll find threads as to why.

I just put a new Sanyo Eneloop 2000mah NiMH AA 9.6V 8-Cell Tx Square Pack in my Hitec Optic 6 and have had one in my Hitec Eclipse 7 for several years now.

Radical RC, Dave Thacker, is where I got mine.
http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Tx...-NiMH--NiCd-20

Scroll down the page or search the page for Eneloop. They are near the bottom of the page.
I have a pal who works as Tech in a worldwide known Battery manufacturers ... I asked him about Enerloops ... he laughed !

As he told me and my experience using over shop counter NiMH bears out what he said ... yes they were a leader in low self discharge earlier days - but now most NiMh are in fact low self discharge. He reckoned my 8 for $10 NiMH were just as good .. They are 2300mAh and charge lasts ages in them ..... I have no problem leaving the Tx idle for weeks ... months and still have good charge to use. The cells are more than a year old in the Tx already and STILL performing well.

So buy Enerloops if it makes you feel safe .. buy over-counter recognised brand as I do if you want to get similar but save money. I suspect though as I put in earlier post - a soldered tagged pack is called for ...

You can buy your own tagged cells to make packs yourself ... taping or shrink-wrap after ... or get a pack made up for you.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:09 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,139 Posts
About eneloop NiMh:

I have noticed they have the white eneloop:

http://www.eneloop.info/eneloop-prod...s/eneloop.html

And the black eneloop XX:

http://www.eneloop.info/eneloop-prod...s/eneloop.html

The advantage of the XX is that it is rated for use down to minus 20 Celsius (nice if You fly in cold weather) and has capacity of 2500 mAh (compared to the white 2000 mAh). The white eneloop can also be used down to minus 20 Celsius I believe.

On the negative side is that XX it is rechargable only up to 500 times (the white can be charged up to 1800 times) and selfdischarge is faster on the black XX, 75% capacity left after 1 year (the white has 75% left after 3 years).

The black XX is suted more for high current consuming devices and our transmitters are not such devices really.

I know the white eneloop is avaliable with solder tabs for people that want to make their own packs, I do not know if the black XX eneloop is available with solder tabs.

So I suppose the white eneloop is better suited for our transmitters and 2000 mAh should be enough in most cases.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee