Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:35 PM
Seafax ROV
United Kingdom, Barrow-in-Furness
Joined Feb 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fviking View Post
So How far back from the nose is the CG suppose to be ??
According to this guy the magic number is 10.5" and he seems to like it well enough.

SkyWalker X5 Maiden Flight (3 min 2 sec)

Judging from the video it doesn't look like a very powerful setup though so maybe avoiding high wattage motors and big props (torque roll etc) is one of the keys to staying friends with the X5. I plan on putting a Turnigy d2826/6 2200kv (342w) with a 7x4 prop on mine for starters

Col.
WalneyCol is offline Find More Posts by WalneyCol
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:16 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Dec 2005
279 Posts
Someone finds it works well enough

Tom has flown one with the GluonPilot and finds it works for his needs. See the review here. And he has the first version without the blended winglets.

http://www.gluonpilot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=592

Jim H
small_rcer is offline Find More Posts by small_rcer
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:11 AM
United Kingdom, England, Wokingham
Joined Sep 2011
311 Posts
I've just purchased the X5 to maybe replace my Maxi Swift as the swift is just a little bit to large to be practical.

I will be fitting my FY31AP, EzUHF and 1.3ghz video system.

What are peoples recomendations for motor KV / prop sizes on a 3 cell setup please?

Cheers guys
DaveyLC is offline Find More Posts by DaveyLC
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:12 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyLC View Post
I've just purchased the X5 to maybe replace my Maxi Swift as the swift is just a little bit to large to be practical.

I will be fitting my FY31AP, EzUHF and 1.3ghz video system.

What are peoples recomendations for motor KV / prop sizes on a 3 cell setup please?

Cheers guys
No one has answered so I'll mention my motor but some may say it is a bit big.

As I mentioned recently, I ended up buying this motor and a 4S LiPo:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=25881

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24645

Probably could have gotten a bit smaller motor and a bigger LiPo but I got the motor to make sure I have enough power on take off.

The motor works on a 3S or 4S. I'll try the 4S for the take off power and I understand that in some cases the 4S on a smaller prop can do a way less amps at the same flying speed.

Recommended is: 2212-2215, kv1400-kv1700, thrust 700-1300g

I have had my gear for a long time so using a FY21 AP and a AP117 OSD.

We are coming over to UK in May and also doing Europe. Guess it is a good place for a holiday.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Jan 20, 2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:55 PM
Argentina, BA, Martínez
Joined Apr 2010
88 Posts
Hello guys, this question was asked before, but nobody answered, "The EXIF info from sensefly camera, (which you say it is a cannon with no GPS at all) shows coordinates, how is that posible? are they post processed? how?
marce002 is offline Find More Posts by marce002
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:56 AM
Fly low, fly FAST!
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Jun 2004
111 Posts
Just realized that this is a thread on the X5, not the X8.
keithskye is offline Find More Posts by keithskye
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:35 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marce002 View Post
Hello guys, this question was asked before, but nobody answered, "The EXIF info from sensefly camera, (which you say it is a cannon with no GPS at all) shows coordinates, how is that posible? are they post processed? how?
I do not think any or many here have a sensfly camera.

Hope I am wrong and someone can help.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:51 AM
Joined Sep 2011
311 Posts
I maidened my X5 on Saturday with a 2x2200mAh 3s, Park 480 and 9x6 folder.. It had enough power to accelerate out of a potential stall and the current drain seems very low, I don't have my OSD on board yet but when I recharged my batteries i'd only used just over 600mAh after approx. 8-10 minutes of light test flights. :|

Shes a bit of a fruity launcher though

Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:41 AM
Argentina, BA, Martínez
Joined Apr 2010
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
I do not think any or many here have a sensfly camera.

Hope I am wrong and someone can help.
Ok I have figured out a way of postprocess a lot of photos with a gps gpx log for example, if anyone is interested i can explain, but basically is a software that stamp into the exif data, the precisa gps time when the pic was taken..
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:54 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,978 Posts
what are you using to log the GPS position?

I had a program that did this a while ago but found it very cumbersome... if you can share your process that would be very nice

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce002 View Post
Ok I have figured out a way of postprocess a lot of photos with a gps gpx log for example, if anyone is interested i can explain, but basically is a software that stamp into the exif data, the precisa gps time when the pic was taken..
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:39 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,094 Posts
Quote:
I maidened my X5 on Saturday with a 2x2200mAh 3s, Park 480 and 9x6 folder.. It had enough power to accelerate out of a potential stall and the current drain seems very low, I don't have my OSD on board yet but when I recharged my batteries i'd only used just over 600mAh after approx. 8-10 minutes of light test flights. :|

Shes a bit of a fruity launcher though
Just interested which KV rating on the Park 480. At the moment I am going for a bigger motor and 4S and hoping the extra speed of the motor will help on launch.

I'll be doing frisby style and thumb under up elevator. Overhead does not work for me but it does for others.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:22 PM
Argentina, BA, Martínez
Joined Apr 2010
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
what are you using to log the GPS position?

I had a program that did this a while ago but found it very cumbersome... if you can share your process that would be very nice

Steve

Im using the gps and GPX generated log from the apm telemetry.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:03 PM
Joined Sep 2011
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Just interested which KV rating on the Park 480. At the moment I am going for a bigger motor and 4S and hoping the extra speed of the motor will help on launch.

I'll be doing frisby style and thumb under up elevator. Overhead does not work for me but it does for others.
1050kv

With a 9x6 folding prop and 3s 4400mAh the current drain at WOT is approx 12amps and its giving about 1.25kg of thrust.

With a 10x7 prop current drain is closer to 18amps and its giving 1.6kg of thrust.

I'm aiming for efficiency rather than power
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:38 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,094 Posts
Quote:
1050kv

With a 9x6 folding prop and 3s 4400mAh the current drain at WOT is approx 12amps and its giving about 1.25kg of thrust.

With a 10x7 prop current drain is closer to 18amps and its giving 1.6kg of thrust.

I'm aiming for efficiency rather than power
Thanks for the info. I'll see how mine goes with the big heavier motor and the c of g.

EDIT: Have you got any photos of the installation showing the FY-31 etc? I am putting in a FY-21.
Last edited by Firepower; Jan 27, 2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:55 AM
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Oct 2009
61 Posts
CG is a little bit behind the 2 nipples on the bottom of the plane. about a quarter inch behind the nipples.
hoeniola is offline Find More Posts by hoeniola