Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:39 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,731 Posts
After a string of near catastrophic flights, I had a GREAT day of flying 4 different planes with my newly aquired DX6i!
Thank God!
For a while there, I was getting really depressed.
But now I'm better, thank you very much...
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:45 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
I maidened my sky raider for the first time. First warbird/low wing flight. Did pretty good. Didn't break anything so I'm happy.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:59 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,377 Posts
bent spit LG forward a bit, zeroed the camber (or almost zero), and moved cog further aft a wee bit.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:56 AM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,324 Posts
wind speeds here at 15knots gusting to 25, and that's about the calmest it's been since early in the week

so i replaced the busted esc on my yet to be maidened durafly slick 360 v2, and gazed at the cuckoo fuselage but haven't progressed since i added the carbon tissue - but really, one more session on it and i can easily add the controls and flying rig
scruffy1 is online now Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:33 AM
Getting good at foam repair
Australia, QLD, Surfers Paradise
Joined Aug 2012
244 Posts
I nosed my Cessna into the field.... Almost hit myself too! Assessed dmg and it's a complete write off, maybe be able to keep a couple of servos but that's it

Oh well, at least it wasn't the t-28!
GTrain is offline Find More Posts by GTrain
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:36 AM
United States, VT, Burlington
Joined Mar 2012
76 Posts
I stared longingly at my Calypso. I set up my week around taking her to the field on Saturday, but we ended up with 50 mile per hour winds, and I am no where near comfortable flying in that.
IamNabil is offline Find More Posts by IamNabil
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:14 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Aug 2012
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
After a string of near catastrophic flights, I had a GREAT day of flying 4 different planes with my newly aquired DX6i!
Thank God!
For a while there, I was getting really depressed.
But now I'm better, thank you very much...
Congrats, I'm waiting for my dx6i to show up tomorrow. Looking forward to being able to fly multiple planes without switching receivers and getting all of my trim settings completely messed up!
arik434 is online now Find More Posts by arik434
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:52 AM
Builds better than he flies
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Yesterday I maidenend it and after less than five seconds in the air, cartwheeled it nose-first into the ground and spent the next ten minutes recovering the plethora of parts that were scattered over the field into a plastic carrier bag.

Will be spending the upcoming dark winter nights meticulously gluing all the bits back together!
CodeJock is offline Find More Posts by CodeJock
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:06 AM
If it flies.....I can crash it
United Kingdom, England, Preston on Stour
Joined Nov 2011
2,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeJock View Post
Yesterday I maidenend it and after less than five seconds in the air, cartwheeled it nose-first into the ground and spent the next ten minutes recovering the plethora of parts that were scattered over the field into a plastic carrier bag.

Will be spending the upcoming dark winter nights meticulously gluing all the bits back together!
What plane was it fella and what happened??
blackbrabus is online now Find More Posts by blackbrabus
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:50 AM
Builds better than he flies
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbrabus View Post
What plane was it fella and what happened??
HC Hobby Mosquito. What happened was too much throttle and too much elevator. We have a grass landing strip at our club and I had full elevator to keep the tail wheel in ground contact. As I increased the throttle she unexpectedly rose up. It's quite a heavy model and so I did not expect her to do that so quickly. Consequently she tried to go straight up without enough airspeed or indeed power, cartwheeled to the left and as I tried to counter-steer (ineffective 'cause there was pretty much zero airflow over the control surfaces) she simply ploughed into the ground.

At least next time (after substantial repairs) I will increase the throttle more slowly and counter with decreased elevator 'till her arse lifts off the ground a bit.
CodeJock is offline Find More Posts by CodeJock
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:56 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,490 Posts
Sorry to hear about the tough luck CodeJock. I have done the same thing but not to the extent that you did.
Today I did some touch and goes with my eflite cessna 150 aerobat.
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Sep 2006
15 Posts
Flew my EPP Cheap N Easy after work in the area behind the building. Sunny and blue and had company of a EP foam high wing trainer buddy.

The last time we were out he flew his AXN for the first time and it went out of sight behind the old helicopter hanger. He was in the process of giving up in disgust when it rose from the dead. He grab the sticks and saved it! That was a good day, too.

V929 Beetle quad showed up minus its battery about 10 days ago. Today was also another day that the batteries I ordered did not show up. If I were 16 instead of 60 I'd be outraged. But...oh well.

Brent
brfrompa is offline Find More Posts by brfrompa
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:44 AM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeJock View Post
HC Hobby Mosquito. What happened was too much throttle and too much elevator. We have a grass landing strip at our club and I had full elevator to keep the tail wheel in ground contact. As I increased the throttle she unexpectedly rose up. It's quite a heavy model and so I did not expect her to do that so quickly. Consequently she tried to go straight up without enough airspeed or indeed power, cartwheeled to the left and as I tried to counter-steer (ineffective 'cause there was pretty much zero airflow over the control surfaces) she simply ploughed into the ground.

At least next time (after substantial repairs) I will increase the throttle more slowly and counter with decreased elevator 'till her arse lifts off the ground a bit.
To bad with the plane Jock, but it seems that you have the post-crash-investigation sorted out Finding the real reason behind a crash is a good way to avoid the next...

For me, one of the most enjoyable parts of a flight is take-offs just like you describe them. Even if the plane have power&lift enough to jump off the ground in inches, I absolutely love to to let a taildragger accellerate slowly rising its tail of the ground and gain speed on two wheels before a nice and shallow climb-out This and a perfect landing...

Had a real laugh the other day though - Was taking off with a S.E.5a, and while gaining speed it hit a bump in the gravel runway, and hey presto, it was 10 inches off the ground flying perfectly level Shortest distance from take off to level flight ever...
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:52 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,378 Posts
Built a Mini Ultra Stick from start to finish last night including a tail wheel mod and drilling the firewall out to fit the 480 in. That's more than I usually get done in a week
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:54 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Been a rought month of flying for me. Brown out with my new Dynam FW190 results in a fatal crash a couple weeks ago. Brown out yesterday in another plane( Wattage Wildcat) fatal as well. Buddy had two brownouts in the same brand new PZ T-28 Trojan. one of those while I was flying it....Our field is brownout central lately....
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim