Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:51 AM
USA, LA, Terrytown
Joined Dec 2010
152 Posts
Discussion
Largest 4 Channel For Beginer

I want to get the largest 4 channel coaxial for a beginer that I can, are there any out there that are reliable??? Would like to fly it outdoors too!!!

Jay
jcflyer is offline Find More Posts by jcflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:58 AM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
If you want to fly outdoor, there must be almost no wind for a coaxial. Bigger doesn't mean that it will fly in the wind. It's a question of design.

You must also know that bigger = bigger crash and surely more parts to repair.

Notice aside, the only one I know is the Esky Big Outdoor Lama
http://www.hobby-estore.com/ESky-Big...h-ek-e020a.htm

then come the Esky Lama v4.
Ceros007 is offline Find More Posts by Ceros007
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:06 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,743 Posts
Start with an Esky Lama 4 or a used Eflite CX2(new ones are too much money and used ones can be had with all kinds of mods already done). They're big enough to fly outdoors until you get your feet wet. I've been flying for 3 years and am just getting a Lama 400D now. As already stated, the bigger they are the more expensive they are to fix.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:26 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,105 Posts
Jay, welcome to rcg. First why would you want a large coax? You said "you would like to fly it outdoors too." I hope you live in a very large house, otherwise the only flying you will be doing is hovering (if you want to call that flying). The Big Outdoor Lama (or BOL for short) as I understand is a good heli. Like Ceros says....flying with little wind. I have a Lama V4 that is set up to fly outdoors as long as the wind remains at 5mph or under. And even if you live in a modest size house the Lama V4 can be limited. Most (if not all) people set up their Lama V4's to fly outside. Much more fun :-)

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Dec 27, 2010, 02:17 PM
USA, LA, Terrytown
Joined Dec 2010
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Jay, welcome to rcg. First why would you want a large coax? You said "you would like to fly it outdoors too." I hope you live in a very large house, otherwise the only flying you will be doing is hovering (if you want to call that flying). The Big Outdoor Lama (or BOL for short) as I understand is a good heli. Like Ceros says....flying with little wind. I have a Lama V4 that is set up to fly outdoors as long as the wind remains at 5mph or under. And even if you live in a modest size house the Lama V4 can be limited. Most (if not all) people set up their Lama V4's to fly outside. Much more fun :-)

Mike.
Hi Mike,
I thought a coaxial was the easiest to learn on, flying outdoors gives me more room. In the house I am flying the little coaxial I got from the mall but it is only a 3 channel. If I can learn on a single rotor for outdoors I will try that route, I am on a fact finding mission right now!!!

Jay
Old Dec 27, 2010, 02:37 PM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
@jcflyer you might want to look into a good simulator instead of a coax. ultimately you will want to go to a single rotor to fly outside and a coax is little training for that. it does teach stick movement and such but it also teaches bad habbits and slow responce inputs as the coax helis are very docile. if you are dead set on a coax however, as posted above the e-sky can be modded for it or the nine eagles explorer is a ready to fly coax and can handle some wind.

CG
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 27, 2010, 02:49 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,105 Posts
Jay, you are correct. Coax's are the easiest to learn on. I have no experience with single rotor. Here's a thread I'd like to share with you (and for the nay sayers) that the CX's and V3/4's can't be flown outdoors and have a great time doing it. I fly my modded V4 exclusively outdoors

I put you on page 1:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1050261

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Dec 27, 2010, 03:51 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
I went the route that you're considering. I bought a 4 channel coaxial, upgraded it till it could reasonably be flown outside, flew it for a few years, then eventually moved on to a 450 class single rotor.

I can tell you that once I learned to fly the 450 I regretted every single dime I'd spent on the coaxial.

As suggested by Cable Guy, if your intent is to fly a large single rotor you'd be much better off buying a good simulator and practicing for months than you would buying the coaxial. I suggest Phoenix RC over any other simulator. The physics engine is far more realistic in it than anything else I've tried.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Dec 27, 2010, 05:04 PM
USA, LA, Terrytown
Joined Dec 2010
152 Posts
Guys thanks for all the replys and info, I do plan on getting a SIM for sure. In the mean time I just want to fly some outdoors to start getting the hang of everything!!!

Jay
Old Dec 27, 2010, 05:53 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,783 Posts
I have not touched a sim yet. And I think I fly pretty well. You can dream about flying, or buy one and have fun. Your choice. Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Dec 27, 2010, 05:59 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
Lee, how far along are you in flying CP helicopters? I seem to distinctly remember you giving up on helicopters and going to planks? Also, have you ever owned a copy of Phoenix RC? You get the point I'm making here?

I practiced nose in hover for a week in the sim and was able to instantly do it on my real 450, no crashes or repair parts involved. You're basically telling this guy to buy whatever helicopter and kill it over and over while paying to repair it each time. This is with you having no real experience on sims at all, and spending quite a bit of time on the ground for repairs with your own choppers if I remember right. I personally don't find the chopper sitting on the repair bench more time than it's in the air fun at all.

You can crash the chopper and wait on repair parts to learn, or you can practice on a sim where crashes cost nothing, your choice.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:20 PM
Mod it like you stole it!
Joined Jul 2009
566 Posts
That's assuming your goal in the hobby is to fly a cp heli. That certainly hasn't been my goal. I find having an actual heli to fly around more rewarding than simply training myself to fly something bigger and presumed better than what's already fun and rewarding. I will only buy a heli if I see I can have fun with it, whether it trains me to fly a cp or not. I bought a lama v4 that I still fly almost 2 years later. And its still fun and relaxing to fly around. I then bought a hbfp v2 which i'm having just as much fun with. I currently have no great need to actually fly a cp heli. Flying and modding the h/bee is the fun I wished to have when I 1st got into this hobby......But I wouldn't neglect a good sim either.......I recommend a v4 then download helisim rc(free), and get a hbfp v2 or a ufly. Works for me.....And it's fun!................Kato
katoace is offline Find More Posts by katoace
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:20 PM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcflyer View Post
Guys thanks for all the replys and info, I do plan on getting a SIM for sure. In the mean time I just want to fly some outdoors to start getting the hang of everything!!!

Jay
good call on the sim... in the meantime for some hands on get a nine eagles solo pro 4ch single rotor, it is by far the best self stabilizing single rotor heli on the market.

CG
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:43 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,783 Posts
I need to get one of these NE solo's to fly. Havn't yet. Yes, Tony. You really got me. I could have just bought a sim and never touched a copter or plane. Would have saved me some money. And distress. And I never would have learned to work on them either. Does a sim teach you how to tune a copter to your liking? Does it teach you how to mesh the gears? What about prop and gain settings? What excatlly does a sim do for you? Orientation? I have taught several people around me to fly copters now. Guess what? None of them have a simulator. I say, buy what you can afford. Maybe when you crash and wait for parts would be a good time for a sim. I still don't own one myself. Don't enjoy that. Training? Phewy on training. I am in it for the joy and fun of flying a RC craft. I don't plan to go into space. I have had all the dang training I care to do in one lifetime. I know, you will say it saves in money for repairs. Is that not part of the training too? Happy Flying. Lee

P.S. Tony, you should apply for position with NASA. Except for your thoughts on CP copters, you are a genious. And I respect ya.

P.S.S. I fly cp's to by the way. Just not any fun for me. Nerveracking.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:46 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,783 Posts
Just one more thing, while I am at it. When are you going to get a real copter Tony. Quit toying around with 450's and get a 500. haha