Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:55 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
For my sins I have been punished.... I have been elected the new Power Squadron Officer for The Club.
Congratulations Craig_C! You will do a great job!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:12 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
in regards to the last picture posting, and to the subject of the CSS Virginia Model..

as a duly noted citizen from the city that was the capital of the Confederated states of America. I would like to personally thank the Modeler responsible for getting the flag right.

and of course congratulate them on a fantastic model!

for those out there that have no idea what I'm talking about... and I'm sure there aren't many because of the focus on historical accuracy when it comes to the scale models... .

But.. ( and here is me sticking out my big But againg ) The Flag on top of the General Lee car on the Dukes of Hazard is not the confederate flag despite what various media outlets and assorted rednecks might tell you..

That flag is more the Navel skip Jack of the Confederate army of Tennessee, that was later adopted by various fringe groups and is known as a "rebel" flag.

the flag of the CSS, had three bars, two red, one, white, and a circle of stars to represent the confederate states, much like the American flag.

Which was the problem..

The CSS flag so closely resembled the US flag, that confederate troops often came under friendly fire in the heat of battle, and fog of war. So, the CSS battle flag was adopted. That flag had the stars and bars, but was squared and had gold fringe. instead of rectangular with out fringe.

okay.. rant off...

carry on folks...
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:15 PM
RC Flying;Lego Contraption Guy
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
For my sins I have been punished.... I have been elected the new Power Squadron Officer for The Club.

so... what does that mean?
MrLego is offline Find More Posts by MrLego
Last edited by MrLego; Dec 08, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:20 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLego View Post
so... what does that mean?
I can try to finish ahead of you in events now!
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:17 PM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
I can try to finish ahead of you in events now!
oh yay!
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:10 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,941 Posts
Quote:
oh yay!
Hee hee, don't worry, I don't actually know how to drive a boat.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:35 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
Hee hee, don't worry, I don't actually know how to drive a boat.
Its true. I've seen his try....
Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:34 PM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond Sailer View Post
Its true. I've seen his try....
I guess we'll see about that during the next event.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:43 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,644 Posts
Vets help maintain old ships

Check the story out...

Volunteerism is becoming more and more the grease that allows societies to work....
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Dec 09, 2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:33 PM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
Check the story out...

Volunteerism is becoming more and more the grease that allows societies to work....
now... if only the younger peoples will volunteer voluntarily and won't volunteer cause they have to...
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:45 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,941 Posts
Quote:
What's old is new...

-societies seem to be at their best when people are willing to give something to them through volunteering.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:57 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,644 Posts
More Bouys in The Lake....

Gerry <Cpl.Fuzz> drops a buoy between the 25 and 50 foot markers of the dividing line between the fast and
slow/scale areas while Don rows and <Craig_c> shoots a picture between prepping more anchor lines.

Update on the buoys - the diagonal northern buoy line is now a bit over half completed with the dropping of another batch of red and white buoys today.

The new white ball buoy replaces the old yellow milk-jug.

The 'white ball' buoy on the northern diagonal was pulled and replaced with a yellow buoy and the white ball was moved to replace the sinking milk bottle that was being used as a turn point for the sail squadron's racing triangle. (Boy, had that old milk bottle been prop-chopped!!!)

The two orange buoys denoting 25 and 50 feet from the south shore in the area divider were pulled and replaced with yellow foam buoys. The orange balls were moved to center Lake to create an oval for the go-fastie guys to orbit and race around.

In chatting with a number of the electric fast-boat guys after we got the buoys placed, they have indicated that they will be accepting of the protected waters arrangement. They have asked that the orange balls denoting the fast-boat circuit be moved a bit closer to the southern rim of the Lake and a bit to the east as well so they can see the buoys and their boats and are better able to judge the distances involved. This is do-able as the position of the fast-oval isn't set in stone.

Even the flyers seem to be happy with what is being done when I talked to a couple of them in the late afternoon about what we were doing and what we are planning as it will help remind them to keep out and at least 50 to 75 feet from shore and away from spectators. This is important since one of the flyers misjudged distance today and nearly had an nasty accident. They are talking about staying over the go-fastie area, again north of the diagonal buy line.

The protected waters seem to be acceptable to most of the regulars using on the Lake; Club and Irregular. Appreciation was expressed by a couple of parents whose children were using the 'protected water' within the buoys to get their R/Ceelegs and were no longer worried about accidents with the fast boats.

We will get the rest of the buoys in hopefully before New Years. At which time we will also adjust and smarten-up the buoy lines and positions. Right now we are just getting the basic lines and positions established.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Dec 10, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:07 AM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Don't forget the Michael E. helped!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:20 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,644 Posts
Quote:
Don't forget the Michael E. helped!
Yep, yep, yep, Very true!!! I need to figure out how to get the video I shot up edited and up here... I'z a'workin' on it!!!

Haven't played with video since college - ARRRGH! Now I gotz ta figger out YouTube????
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Dec 10, 2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:50 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,644 Posts

Interesting thing, after we had the buoys set up, when the fast electrics wanted to
take a break between speed runs, look where they idle - inside 'protected waters.'
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Dec 10, 2012 at 02:12 PM.