Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:06 AM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Check this out, I got my first lights set up on the helis. They're okay and I just did the best I could. Hopefully they'll at least help to light things up a bit in case I get stuck out in the dark. It will be painful if I crash though. It took a bit to get them on and just used cable ties to hold them. They are long enough for the 450 and maybe something a bit larger if you don't make too many turns. I may have to check out ebay for more cheaper deals on these type of fiber optic lights. They run off one of the channels which is nice, I just hope they don't take too much juice since I have never used them before, but I like lights. I just did a nice loop under the heli to light up the ground since I had a problem with that last time. I think just a few lights on the blades and these will do to make it easier to see and not blind you.
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:20 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
nice. very nice
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:54 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Has anyone tried these Giant Power 850mah 3S 50C Lipos from ClubHeli:

http://www.clubheli.com/Giant-Power-...ry_p_4600.html

I just ordered a couple to see how they compare to other 850mah Lipo's I have. So far the best bang for the buck seems to be these Zippy Compact Lipo's:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

Very good internal resistance and I like the color.
Just a follow up on this post. The Giant Power 850mah 3S batteries for Clubheli are nothing like 50C. They're not as good as the Zippy Compact 850mah 3S 35C batteries and they are more expensive. They have a much higher internal resistance and show a lower voltage in flight. I would say they are more like 25C. So if these are falsely labeled, you would have to wonder about the rest of the Giant Power range...
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:04 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
I went out to the park to test my flymentor. I got off the ground but the heli was just not working right. I don't know what happened, the gyro just wasn't right. Needless to say I think it kind of worked, but at the same time that led me to a nasty crash from like 4 feet and I just couldn't find one of the tail blades and the jesus screw just broke off on impact. I think my dragonus helis are just cursed. I don't use them so maybe I just need to start now and stop trying to baby that heli. Can't seem to get a break on them. Parts are not cheap so I may just call it done on those. Not sure yet, but I'm pretty bummed about that flymentor now. Just not sure what happened but it sure was not smooth at all. I had to fight the heli the whole time so that made it worst. I then took out my other 450 and at least went through 3 batteries and even though the blades seem at bit off it was smooth as could be and just took it easy and practice back and forth on it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:15 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
I went out to the park to test my flymentor. I got off the ground but the heli was just not working right. I don't know what happened, the gyro just wasn't right. Needless to say I think it kind of worked, but at the same time that led me to a nasty crash from like 4 feet and I just couldn't find one of the tail blades and the jesus screw just broke off on impact. I think my dragonus helis are just cursed. I don't use them so maybe I just need to start now and stop trying to baby that heli. Can't seem to get a break on them. Parts are not cheap so I may just call it done on those. Not sure yet, but I'm pretty bummed about that flymentor now. Just not sure what happened but it sure was not smooth at all. I had to fight the heli the whole time so that made it worst. I then took out my other 450 and at least went through 3 batteries and even though the blades seem at bit off it was smooth as could be and just took it easy and practice back and forth on it.
Sorry to hear of your crash efx. Stick to the clones like tarot, it's much cheaper. Hope you get some air time soon
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:46 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Thanks pitchp. I did get some stick time with the clone so that was cool. I actually like their helis, but because of how smooth it felt the first time I tried it. But yeah, I think I'm cursed with it...LOL. I'm not too crazy about the flymentor at the moment either. I think the blue and green wire need to be swapped contrary to what the manual states. I could only change the LED once I did this and I did get it to hover for a bit. I could not get the heli up without flipping the switch, this is why I know it seems to be working. Just have to do a bit more digging into what the heck is going on. I just don't feel like messing with the broken helis at the moment. My two clones are working pretty good so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
Sorry to hear of your crash efx. Stick to the clones like tarot, it's much cheaper. Hope you get some air time soon
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:07 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Check out this thread on Flymentor setup.
One thing to beware of is the tail servo direction in the tx and the flymentor. When you reverse the tx, it also reverses the gyro. You just need to make sure they both work together.
BThirsk is online now Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:52 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
557 Posts
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know of any good HK250GT heli smack videos? I bought one of these in the early fall and finally hope to maiden it this weekend, I've gone with the HK FBL head, Tarot ZYX-S, kevlar tail belt, Align carbon blades and loctited the heck out of everything. I just want to get a sense of what these things are capable of stock. I've seen lots of trex 250 3d videos, but haven't found much other than scale flight for the HK. Do people fly hard 3d with these things? If so, what upgrades are they using?

Thanks!
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:44 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Thanks BT. I did look at one of those threads, didn't get through it all as it was pretty long. As for the tail servo, it was going the right way, just wasn't reacting fast for whatever reason. I'll try to see if I missed anything in that thread. The weird thing is that my light never turned on green when I plugged it exactly like the manual and that thread says. I swapped both the blue and green and the head not tilted when I moved the heli and the light could then be turned to green with the glip of the gear gyro switch. So I'll go back and see what is going on with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
Check out this thread on Flymentor setup.
One thing to beware of is the tail servo direction in the tx and the flymentor. When you reverse the tx, it also reverses the gyro. You just need to make sure they both work together.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; Dec 05, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:57 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know of any good HK250GT heli smack videos? I bought one of these in the early fall and finally hope to maiden it this weekend, I've gone with the HK FBL head, Tarot ZYX-S, kevlar tail belt, Align carbon blades and loctited the heck out of everything. I just want to get a sense of what these things are capable of stock. I've seen lots of trex 250 3d videos, but haven't found much other than scale flight for the HK. Do people fly hard 3d with these things? If so, what upgrades are they using?

Thanks!
Here is a video of a Trex 250 flybar heli which is pretty stock and which yours is a clone of as an example. They are the same only yours should be more agile.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:16 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
557 Posts
Quote:
Here is a video of a Trex 250 flybar heli which is pretty stock and which yours is a clone of as an example. They are the same only yours should be more agile.
Thanks man, this Bert guy seems like a real up and comer, he's not bad ;-). I was just starting to wonder why there aren't many 250GT 3D vids, it's good to know though that it should be able to hold it's own with an Align. If there are any shortcomings I haven't identified, I'll be more than happy to upgrade accordingly. All in all, I was really impressed with this kit when building it given the cost. It showed up in a box the size of a pencil case. The biggest thing I've flown so far is my 130x, which I love by the way, so this may feel like a 500, at least temporarily. Maybe my next build will be the 450...

All the best!
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:53 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
Thanks man, this Bert guy seems like a real up and comer, he's not bad ;-). I was just starting to wonder why there aren't many 250GT 3D vids, it's good to know though that it should be able to hold it's own with an Align. If there are any shortcomings I haven't identified, I'll be more than happy to upgrade accordingly. All in all, I was really impressed with this kit when building it given the cost. It showed up in a box the size of a pencil case. The biggest thing I've flown so far is my 130x, which I love by the way, so this may feel like a 500, at least temporarily. Maybe my next build will be the 450...

All the best!
The biggest issues I had was the ball links and balls where poor. I changed all the links and balls in the head to align and resized to fit. Your flybarless may be better. The tail drive also created issues after about 15 times in the air. I changed that all to align along with the boom holder. The align boom holder requires a little sanding on the holder halves and the aluminum cross nuts to get a tighter fit. Get a few spare align booms, carbon fibre is better, because the HK booms are like butter.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:13 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
557 Posts
Quote:
The biggest issues I had was the ball links and balls where poor. I changed all the links and balls in the head to align and resized to fit. Your flybarless may be better. The tail drive also created issues after about 15 times in the air. I changed that all to align along with the boom holder. The align boom holder requires a little sanding on the holder halves and the aluminum cross nuts to get a tighter fit. Get a few spare align booms, carbon fibre is better, because the HK booms are like butter.
Excellent this is the kind of advice I'm after. While I was setting the pitch on my FBL head I noticed one of the pitch links came off a little too easily. I may try scavenging parts the FB head and find the best balls and links, but ultimately these would seem like a natural upgrade. I'd also consider building up the existing balls with a thin layer of CA as I've heard some people have done. The boom holder and boom on mine seem surprisingly sturdy, yours isn't the first complaint I've heard about these parts, but if I see any trouble I'll definitely look at upgrading. Thanks for your advice.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:26 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Since the 250s are down I'm practicing with my 450s...slowly learning to fly...
Just practicing my flying... (5 min 41 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:56 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Since the 250s are down I'm practicing with my 450s...slowly learning to fly...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_I0_GF5E_A
Very nice efx