Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 22, 2014, 05:09 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
605 Posts
Discussion
Flying wing covering ?

Hi I have a few windrider models including 2 bee evolutions . One is used for sloping and uses the stock tape etc for covering . The other one is going to be used with the powerpod with undercarriage and motor . Now I would like this one to look 1/2 decent and would like to use iron on covering as it wont be subject to the normal abuse on landing , just normal club flying . The big question is what would be the best way to assure that the wing has enough strength but will look good with the iron on covering . I dont want if I can avoid it to have tape etc underneath the covering . I dont even know at this stage if covering will even stick to the foam and will it have enough strength ( I doubt it but Im wishing and praying all the same ) . Do I need to cover with balsa or ply first ? I would like to avoid if possible using the iron on laminate plastic stuff ! Any ideas . Cheers the pope
the pope is offline Find More Posts by the pope
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2014, 04:19 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,049 Posts
I'd be tempted to download the covering instructions from CrashTestHobby.com for their Grim Reaper and cover it exactly the same way. It's a combination of Scotch Extreme Packing Tape which is a bi-directional weave, and an overcoat of the iron on laminate. The reason for this is that the tape doesn't have any UV protection and would be powder in a couple of months.

Now if you buy your own laminate you can get the matte finish, which can be painted quite successfully. A combination of paint and trim tape should give you a really great looking plane. Just the clear laminate over the tape looks like a colorless carbon fiber--really great I think.

Your post is a bit confusing because you want to use iron on covering but don't want to use iron on laminate stuff. They are one and the same, but the laminate is much lower in price. It also has glue that will stick to the EPP and iron on coverings like MonoKote won't stick.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Aug 22, 2014, 05:28 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
605 Posts
Thanks for your reply R.R. The finish i'm after is just like you would get if you scratch built a plane using monokote etc. or got a arf . I have used laminate before but I never got a result that would come close to normal iron covering . I was trying to avoid having tape showing through from underneath , even just the seams etc. I will accept that it may be a necessary evil but I wanted to know if I could get a "perfectly " flat seamless finish using iron on covering just like you would get like on a arf with enough strength so that it would hold together in flight . Cheers the pope
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:25 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,049 Posts
Some people have successfully built light weight and low stress flying wings with no tape. You might be able to spray the EPP with an adhesive and use normal covering materials. I'm thinking it would just work like the laminate because you're ironing on to a solid surface. And it doesn't breathe like balsa.

Keep us posted!
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:12 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
605 Posts
Thanks R.R I like to learn from the mistakes of others . Being a pioneer isnt in my makeup . I would hate to just use the " monokote and then have the wings fold up although i do enjoy a good crash especially when its someone else ! I will have to do a bit more research .Thanks again . Cheers the pope
Old Aug 23, 2014, 09:24 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,682 Posts
Have you considered polyurethane glue and fiber? This video details the use of screen door fabric, but I've read of the use of fabric drywall tape in the same manner.

Ohio Combat technique for laminating EPP wing (7 min 2 sec)
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:50 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
605 Posts
Thanks DT . Over here in Aus we can either get the plastic or metal mesh , on the vid it sounds like the metal mesh is used but does anyone know for sure ? Cheers the pope
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:07 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the pope View Post
Thanks DT . Over here in Aus we can either get the plastic or metal mesh , on the vid it sounds like the metal mesh is used but does anyone know for sure ? Cheers the pope
I've only heard of the plastic being used for this finishing process. Some full scale composite aircraft parts are laminated with a layer of metal screen for assisting with lightning protection. If you do a lot of flying during thunderstorms you might consider the metal.

http://www.compositesworld.com/artic...ite-structures
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Aug 24, 2014, 02:14 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,251 Posts
Styrospray sounds interesting
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46