HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2014, 09:21 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,662 Posts
So how did you like solartex? By far it is my favorite covering material. Even if it is the heaviest of them all.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2014, 04:38 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
So how did you like solartex? By far it is my favorite covering material. Even if it is the heaviest of them all.
Solartex? First I have to say that I hate covering material. Mainly because I suck at it. Years ago I tried Monocote, Ultracote, Econocote, Solarfilm, you name it, I tried it. Never found one that I was good with. I saw pics in mags of guys using Monocote that looked fantastic, but I just couldn't get there.
Must say that using the Solartex was easier than I expected. I covered the control surfaces and left the seam in the hinge lines. My seams aren't the best but shouldn't show. It wasn't until the last one, rudder, that I had a problem. Didn't quite get the wrinkles out of the tip and could not get rid of them. So I cut that small section off and laid on another piece.
But all in all, pretty nice stuff........... if you like covering material. I do like how it too the primer, paints up very nice and that's a huge plus with me.
I does see a little pricey but I haven't bought any in years. A two meter roll with shipping was about $40.
At least it's done and we are moving on, that's the good news.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Mar 24, 2014, 07:09 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,662 Posts
True. I think the price it a bit much but I'm with you. I'm terrible at iron-on coverings. It seems to be the most forgiving of them all. Unfortunately its the heaviest material you can possibly buy. It takes pretty much any paint you throw at it. I've used acrylic and rattle can in many varieties. Its good stuff.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 07:34 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,305 Posts
A hint with Solartex. I don't use primer over open bays. The covering will flex and can cause cracking in the painted surfaces.

I do prime over solid surfaces, however.

Solartex accepts most paints well, even without primer.

For your seams, you may like the rib tapes from Pink-it. http://www.pink-it.net/ These tapes will hide your seems and provide a realistic scale detail, as well. Look for the Warbird kit.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 24, 2014, 09:09 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,191 Posts
WM,
It was pretty easy and I only have one extra seam on the tip of the rudder. I really don't think it will show, it's about 1.5" on the top and runs horizontal like the ribs. And I agree with you and Tom, it takes paint very well. As far as weight, it needs to be tough anyway on this big bird so that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Tom,
Too late now, I've already used the primer over the control surfaces.
But just a very light coat to see how the surface looks. So we'll see how that works.
Thanks for the link, I'll check that out.

I got up early and started wet sanding. Took about 2.5 hours to do the whole wing, top and bottom. Once that was done I primered the whole wing to check my finish. There are only a very few blemishes that I can fix easily. I'm pretty happy with it overall, very smooth. I'll let it cure some, give it a light sanding to smooth it out for the tape, and then this afternoon start the panel line tape. Need to get those done so I can finish with the rivets.
Also plugging the hole in the rear fuse and shaping it to match the rudder where the fuse meets it.
Stay tuned, we're on a march to get it all together on it's gear so we can see what it looks like.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2014, 04:19 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,191 Posts
I picked the simplest 3 view for all the panel lines. Got the wing panel line tape on and coated with build-up primer. I'll sand and pull the tape tomorrow and then start on the rivets. Notice the rattle can on top for scale. It's a big wing!

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2014, 05:15 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,305 Posts
Good ol' Duplicolor high build.

How many coats do you apply over the tape ?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:08 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,191 Posts
Yep, I really like the stuff for this type of work. I found out the hard way that less is better. First time I tried it, I used about 5 or 6 coats over the tape. Made sanding difficult and the tape still didn't want to come off after sanding the top off, sometimes it would break, etc. I've got it down to 3 coats. That's it, still leaves a very distinct line when the tape is pulled and makes pulling much easier.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:46 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,305 Posts
Ya, I use around 3 coats, too, but I pull my tape as soon as the paint starts to set up.

I have better luck, doing that. If I leave it overnight, I run into troubles getting it off.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:11 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,831 Posts
Sure wish i could make seff. Ill finnally be going back to work in a couple weeks though...after 4months off..yikes! Thats gunna suck lol...stay home and build models all day and let the state pay my bills..or wake up at 315...drive a hour..work 10 then drive a hour home...repeat 4 times lol
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Mar 25, 2014, 04:24 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,191 Posts
I've had good luck with wet sanding lightly over the tape and then pulling it, unless I give more than three coats. More than three and it gives me fits. I worry about rough edges if I pull the tape before sanding it. Guess I had better cross my fingers for this morning's attempt.

Wish you could make it too Nut. 4 months, that's a long time. Take it easy on that belly when you go back, I'm sure the Doc has told you about hernia possibility.
Hmmm...... 4 months off work, state paying the bills, building models all day............ be careful they don't list you as an illegal alien.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2014, 06:59 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,305 Posts
I hope that you post a few picss this afternoon. I like the detailing and finishing stages of model building.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:56 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
I hope that you post a few picss this afternoon. I like the detailing and finishing stages of model building.
Read my mind Tom.
I forgot to add on the panel lines that I let the paint setup and then wet sand. That leaves me with a paint ready surface since I need to get the overspray off anyway.
And sanding after panel lines? Well, I've never had much luck there, they disappear pretty quick when sandpaper runs over them, even accidentally.

Here is where I sanded and pulled the tape. The tape did well, just a few places where it wanted to separate . This Chartpak drafting tape is made in three layers, two layers of black tape, one of plastic film. Sometimes it will separate and pull layers instead of the whole tape. When that happens, I use an exacto tip to get under it or this little tool that I picked up at Harbor Freight. It will run right down the panel line groove and help remove the residue.

Also started on the fuse/wing fillet. Thankfully the Beast has a very small one, I will make it about a 1/4" wide. Waxed paper taped to protect the wing, 1/32" ply glued on with 30 min epoxy mixed with cotton flox.

While that sets up I started the rivets on one wing panel. All they need now is a very light rubbing with 1500 grit to tale off the little ridges on the rivets.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:18 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,662 Posts
Seriously sexy. I believe rivets on a wing are like fishnets on legs. Love the precision work. Chad has really helped you make those rivets flawless.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:32 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
I've had good luck with wet sanding lightly over the tape and then pulling it, unless I give more than three coats. More than three and it gives me fits. I worry about rough edges if I pull the tape before sanding it. Guess I had better cross my fingers for this morning's attempt.

Wish you could make it too Nut. 4 months, that's a long time. Take it easy on that belly when you go back, I'm sure the Doc has told you about hernia possibility.
Hmmm...... 4 months off work, state paying the bills, building models all day............ be careful they don't list you as an illegal alien.

J
!!!

Well played my friend, well played...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
Seriously sexy. I believe rivets on a wing are like fishnets on legs. Love the precision work. Chad has really helped you make those rivets flawless.
+1 !!!

As usual J, your detail work is mind boggling.....

On another note, I just realized, I'll hit SP (Start Point) one week from today for my long road march out east.....
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member