Old May 01, 2012, 03:43 AM
No risk, no fun
Switzerland, VD, Chéserex
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
Discussion
2.4 aerial advice

Hi all,

I have just finished the build of my Alex XXL, also known as a Spider XL I think.

I fly Spektrum and have used an AR6255 receiver and have some glitches when range testing near the ground and with the bottom of the fuse facing me. Now I know that this is the most harsh conditions but I want to be safe.
Currently the aerials are at 90 degrees to each other in a cross shape under the front of the glass canopy. I will take a picky later on to help debug this one.

I believe the nose of my Alex to be Kevlar (it is certainly carbon dbox winged and also carbon in the fuse from the back of the canopy aft) so I have put the aerials inside the fuse near the front of the canopy behind my lead ballast but very close to the 2S 1500 lipo.

Should I be keeping the aerials away from the lipo? Could the lead ballast be a problem?
I really don't like gliders with whiskers so would love to keep the aerials inside if possible. I have avoided carbon in the build specifically to avoid any issues.
Siggy101 is offline Find More Posts by Siggy101
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 07:08 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,619 Posts
Uh oh - this is a proper soapbox subject! There's lots of opinions, but the only things uniformly agreed on seem to be that the two aerials should be in different planes to each other (which you've already done), and that they should be kept away from carbon (which you've also done - damn!). This thread has some more potentially useful info and linked resources; my only suggestion would be to try moving one of the aerials into another plane (horizontal to vertical or vice versa maybe) and trying again. If that doesn't work I suggest you post in the Radios section of RCGroups where there are lots of knowledgeable experts who should be able to help.
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My OpenTX Taranis templates...