HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:14 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
I have made a little more progress. Here are the wing templates for a Supra. This was the second attempt as the first helped me find out that my table was not level from corner to corner and I ended up breaking an engraving bit.

Alan
jh2rc97 is offline Find More Posts by jh2rc97
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:37 PM
ReVolt- Proprietary Insanity
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,592 Posts
Sweet
geostomp is offline Find More Posts by geostomp
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:50 PM
United States, MI, Marquette
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
First 3D project, 2 halves for and engine nacelle on my BN-Defender. Looks like i have some tweaking to do.
Taget is offline Find More Posts by Taget
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CNC Machine update.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:09 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,241 Posts
Small stepovers take lots of time, so sometimes I just sand it. On some models I have done a slice planar tool path like you did, then added another type to get areas the first tool path missed.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:48 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
214 Posts
Hey folks . Great thread. I bought a bluumax kit over two years ago and finally as I was reading this thread started to put it together. I will post pictures soon of my set up and see what you all think. I hope you would feel free to provide whatever input on wiring and on the set up. I am planning to use a laptop running XP but will have to use a PCMCIA to DB25M serial port adopter to connect to my C-10
IIIBonesAirForce is offline Find More Posts by IIIBonesAirForce
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:47 AM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
214 Posts
Bluumax CNC kit

here are some pictures of my Bluumax set up. Again feel free to check out the wiring connections and platform set up and let me know what your thoughts are. I have an older motor drive for the XYZ and a C-10 Board.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:56 AM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
214 Posts
to be able to connect serial printer port I will be using this adopter which plugs into PCMCIA slot on my laptop running windows XP.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCMCIA-Card-...item2a15e47c9d
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:14 AM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,592 Posts
I have heard people have trouble using laptops only for CNC control. The Smoothstepper is often used with a laptop to keep the motor pulses timed properly. Hope your setup works though, I'd love to be wrong.

Your machine looks different than the Bluumax that I have/had/modified.....is it from the Bluumax website?" Looks like a milling machine style rather than gantry router style.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:43 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
214 Posts
Yes it is I bought it from Shawn at Bluumax about two and a half years ago. After reading your thread I decided to put it together. It is a very light duty machine for my RC planes and quadcopter builds.

I think you are right that the laptop may not work with CNC. I might be better off just buying a PC desktop box, hopefully one of them old ones with parallel port output.

Thanks for your input.
Old Jan 05, 2014, 12:55 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
I have received a spindle motor and PWM speed controller for it. This is the one I ordered:

http://www.amazon.com/Spindle-Contro.../dp/B00CLL84A4

Is there any particular output on the C-10 board that is meant for PWM out or can any open outputs be used?

Also I have connected and configured a Warp9 USB smooth stepper which is a noticeable improvement one the X, Y, and Z axis control.

Alan
Old Jan 05, 2014, 01:18 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,592 Posts
I believe you assign the PWM a pin in the MAch3 config. "Ports and Pins" menu.

On a side note, If I got to do a bluumax over again I would order some cheap 10mm pillow blocks and take all but a thou' out of the back lash. I did this on my most recent bluumax induced homebuild by adding two layers of coke can aluminum to the .375" leadscrew to make it .395". I then shoe horned it into the 10mm (.393") pillow block and mounted it in place. Worked great and I have two that fight each other on each axis which has made my most recent work much more accurate. The bluumax could use just one on the x and y that would help a bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh2rc97 View Post
I have received a spindle motor and PWM speed controller for it. This is the one I ordered:

http://www.amazon.com/Spindle-Contro.../dp/B00CLL84A4

Is there any particular output on the C-10 board that is meant for PWM out or can any open outputs be used?

Also I have connected and configured a Warp9 USB smooth stepper which is a noticeable improvement one the X, Y, and Z axis control.

Alan
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 06, 2014, 02:27 PM View Post
3dideaforum
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). Show it to me anyway.
Old May 26, 2014, 11:02 AM
Joined Mar 2011
93 Posts
hi geostomp,

i have finally got the machine built and working in mach3 ...

but i need to keep booting in XP to get mach3 to work ... i have installed a VMware workstation and LinuxCNC ...

but getting the setpconf in the metric (mm) is really very confusing .... or based on your experience can i convert the inch to mm and will it work ??

do you have a bluumac stepconf (metric) ... it would greatly help

thanks for this wonderful thread ...

hope your cnc is "cutting along" fine

thanks in advance

chX
crazyhorse21 is online now Find More Posts by crazyhorse21
Old May 26, 2014, 03:57 PM
Dave?
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
It looks like a toy, will it cut aluminum?
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old May 27, 2014, 06:31 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
It is not very rigid and is only good for soft materials at slow speeds. I had trouble cutting the same parts out twice. So I looked around and ended up building a KRMx02. It is a much better machine. It does cost more but will cut a lot faster. Rapids of 1000 ipm are a little scary but so cool to watch work. I built the 50x27.

Alan

http://www.kronosrobotics.com/krmx02