You think is good?torque is 2,2
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22929
joselu is offline Find More Posts by joselu
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:49 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,974 Posts
I just tried 5s 4000 40c packs in mine with stock motor and esc. Esc temp was 92 deg f all day and max in flight current peeked at 54 amps. Measured with hitec telemetry. To be honest it was not much better than 4s 3300. I flew full aero routine for 6.5 mins and used 54 percent of battery. So longer flight time with a bit more vertical.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:47 AM
Scott
Australia, SA, Two Wells
Joined Feb 2012
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
I just tried 5s 4000 40c packs in mine with stock motor and esc. Esc temp was 92 deg f all day and max in flight current peeked at 54 amps. Measured with hitec telemetry. To be honest it was not much better than 4s 3300. I flew full aero routine for 6.5 mins and used 54 percent of battery. So longer flight time with a bit more vertical.
How come you get such a low amp draw with the 5s on the stock set-up? Mine on the stock setup on 4s draws 63amps.

Update. Just tested on 5s and my stock motor and esc pull 85amps at WOT with a zippy 5s 3000mah 40c. Acesimmer did you just not go full throttle with the 5s in flight?
wigsw001 is offline Find More Posts by wigsw001
Last edited by wigsw001; Oct 11, 2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,974 Posts
I did go full in a vertical climb to 650 ft. Then a shallow dive touching 98 mph. Info was in flight real time telemetry to my aurora 9. Maybe I should do a static with my watt meter? I cannot remember which amp sensor I installed so maybe getting a false reading. I'm at the Vegas ace in the hole flyin so do not have the other sensor with me to check. Other than a bit more vertical I'm not sure it's worth switching to 5S.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:48 PM
Scott
Australia, SA, Two Wells
Joined Feb 2012
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
I did go full in a vertical climb to 650 ft. Then a shallow dive touching 98 mph. Info was in flight real time telemetry to my aurora 9. Maybe I should do a static with my watt meter? I cannot remember which amp sensor I installed so maybe getting a false reading. I'm at the Vegas ace in the hole flyin so do not have the other sensor with me to check. Other than a bit more vertical I'm not sure it's worth switching to 5S.
Yeah mine was a static test with the hobbyking watt meter. I'd want to change out the esc if I was using 5s. I wonder how many amps the stock motor can take? I imagine 85amps would be pushing the limits though.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,974 Posts
Sheeeet....... So here I am at the Vegas aces event flying my routines with the sbach and my flanker. Big smile on my face thinking 5 S and only low fifties for amps. Well I got off my lazy butt and put my watt meter on this morning. Yikes!!!! Im pulling 84 amps .... Guess I had the low current sensor installed not the 200 amp unit.

I wondered why when running 5S static at full the motor would chirp at max power. So back to 4 S til I get the bigger esc installed. Having the wrong sensor was giving me 52 a on 4 s and 54 a on 5 s. so the telemetry sensor was maxing out even for the 4s and not giving me full range. No more trusting gadgets until fully checked out. I could and should have had a burn up with the flights I was putting in. Full power to 600 ft then high speed dive! Wondered why my butt was sore it must have been that horse shoe?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:11 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,812 Posts
Well the magnets fell out of my motor too. Landed it ok, all in one piece, but now my motor is toast. I figure I have 2 options:

(1) get a 6S power system and run 2x2200mah packs in series. I have lots if 2200 3S packs, downside is weight and amp draw for batteries.
(2) glue the magnets back in. No idea how to do that or what glue to use.

Any help, guys?
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:23 AM
Joined Dec 2006
842 Posts
I used both 5 min epoxy and medium CA neither an issue just make sure they are seated properly it happened a couple of times on the stock sbach motor and used to happen from time to time on the old fms motors
iceaxe is online now Find More Posts by iceaxe
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:34 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,812 Posts
Doesn't CA degrade on heat?

Anyway, thanks iceaxe, will try the epoxy
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:47 AM
Fly Like You Stole It
Rockingham W.A
Joined Oct 2009
83 Posts
Thread lock works on smaller motors, no reason why it wont work on bigger ones
G James is offline Find More Posts by G James
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:38 AM
Scott
Australia, SA, Two Wells
Joined Feb 2012
211 Posts
Nearly lost the sbach today due to loosing rx signal. Coming down in a steep dive lost all control and couldn't pull up. Got closer and closer to the ground and finally got control back about 10m from the deck. Needless to say I landed pretty quickly after that.

I was extremely lucky in the end to save her. Thinking back I must have lost signal momentarily earlier in the flight but at the time I thought it must have been a wind gust.

I was using my spectrum dx6i and and orange 6ch with orange satellite rx. I've had problems in the past losing signal with the 6ch orange rx but thought the addition of a satellite would tidy that up. How wrong I was, I've heard that the 7ch fail safe orange rx is much better quality but who knows. I think I might just take the official spectrum rx out of one of my other less important models and use that and replace it with the 7ch orange rx.

All I can say though is I'm one lucky guy.
Last edited by wigsw001; Oct 15, 2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:31 PM
Unregistered User
Long Beach, CA
Joined Mar 2010
1,042 Posts
Headless Sbach

Hey guys,
Well, after about 75+ flights and had my first major mishap. Was practicing knife edge passes. Lower and lower each time to see how big my Huevos are and cart wheeled. When I got to the airplane, I noticed that the Pilot figure's head was gone. I found it about 30ft away. Not much damage other than the motor mount, pulled the aileron hinges, and a couple other little cosmetic things . Didn't even break the prop.
Kevin
kmdunnster is offline Find More Posts by kmdunnster
Last edited by kmdunnster; Oct 16, 2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:59 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,812 Posts
Och kmdunnster. Well at least it seems mostly OK! I wonder how it decapitated and fell out of the canopy, can't see a big hole just a big crack?

Do remember to power on test the servos to see if they stripped too. My last crash it appeared that all servos were OK, but if you powered them on and tried to put a bit of pressure on the control surfaces they skipped everywhere.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Dec 2006
842 Posts
After 187 flights and 24 1/2 hrs I rolled inverted on take off a gust of wind hit her and I pulled instead of pushed and punched straight in lolName: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350793125.700765.jpg
Views: 172
Size: 118.6 KB
Description:
Actually wasn't too worried as I pushed her hard for most of her life and was looking at gettin a new airframe just last week as the old one was looking stressed and thankfully my power 46 and savox servos all survived and a new one is on its way and should be here in a week
iceaxe is online now Find More Posts by iceaxe
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:11 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
hope that doesn't happen to your next one. How hard is this plane to fly? i can fly an overpowered Avistar and an Ultimate 20-300 that i scratch built and has near full 3d capability. the ultimate is really easy to fly and could be used as a trainer and i don't know how to fly 3d. is the Sbach to hard for me to fly?
builder bob is offline Find More Posts by builder bob