HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:27 PM
Registered Airplane Offender
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,838 Posts
Build Log
Goodclay- The AMA chapter

Grudgingly setting up shop in the AMA forum.

Still haven't taken the free flight glider thing to its ridiculous conclusion, so here I come this Saturday with some more new birds. Chiefly, two new shuttles, Atlantis and Columbia.

Since drift was a problem last time I flew at AMA, I decided to cut down one shuttle's wings to scale and see if she comes down a bit closer to the runway.

Also, I will be bringing the X-1 out for her second weekend of flying. The first time I flew her at SCC, she came down right in front of me maybe 20 inches from my feet. Wish you guys coulda seen it.
greenseaships is online now Find More Posts by greenseaships
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2011, 12:29 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,838 Posts
OK, another (serious) stab at my own indigenous design.

Again, taking the name GC-2 "MAJ". A World War 2-era trimotor transport in the class of the JU-52 and SM-82. Split 3 vertical tail.

Flat sided for maximum cargo capacity (and ease of construction )

Looking for wingspan of 72 inches, powered by one Park 480 motor, though I might be tempted to upgrade to Power 10 and use her for a glider tug.
Last edited by greenseaships; Oct 07, 2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 01:32 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,838 Posts
I think I'm liking the A.G. livery.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 05:35 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,756 Posts
I brought your rocket launcher today. Sorry I missed you. Next week?
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Oct 01, 2011, 06:08 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post
I brought your rocket launcher today. Sorry I missed you. Next week?
Sorry I missed you as well, Rick. Forgot about the launcher. Took one look at the wind at 6am and went back to bed.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 03:02 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,256 Posts
Barrett,
Phase 1 on "the current project" is complete.
Phase 2 will begin shortly after receiving required materials.

Regards,

Vic
Goodclay Engineering Department
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Oct 02, 2011, 03:31 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMigKiller View Post
Barrett,
Phase 1 on "the current project" is complete.
Phase 2 will begin shortly after receiving required materials.

Regards,

Vic
Goodclay Engineering Department
Thanks, Vic, but we can't continue to leak these corporate memos online. Just don't say anything about the quarterly profit/loss
Old Oct 05, 2011, 03:36 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined May 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenseaships View Post
Thanks, Vic, but we can't continue to leak these corporate memos online. Just don't say anything about the quarterly profit/loss
or anything about the hot brunette that isn't Mrs Goodclay
TBolt is offline Find More Posts by TBolt
Old Oct 07, 2011, 10:40 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,838 Posts
OK, history lesson time.

In the early 1930s, as commercial aviation finally took hold in Gumbasia, the Goodclay firm stepped first tentatively with the GC-1, then wholeheartedly with the GC-2 MAJ, a trimotored heavy-weight with an impressive 28 passenger carrying capacity.

In an age where monocoque airframes were fast becoming the rule, the GC-2 utilized conventional girder-type fuselage construction, owing to the classic Gumbasian taste for ease of construction.

The first of more than 15,000 GC-2s made its maiden flight on October 2nd, 1933 from Goodclay's factory at Hapumaa. Selling first to Air Gumby, the orginal mark 1 aircraft was characterized by the split-3 tail, later abandoned in the mark 2 in favor of a more traditional empennage.

Throughout the 1930s, the GC-2 single handedly introduced thousands to the world of passenger flight, becoming common sites in the skies across the Gumbasian isles as well as spreading her wings across the Pacific.

By the outbreak of World War 2, GC-2s were flying for airlines in Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Brazil, Japan, and for a time, even China.

As World War 2 broke out, GC-2 construction REALLY hit a fever pitch. The extensive baggage hold underneath the passenger deck was ideal for cargo capacity, and the GC-2 could carry 30% more cargo capacity per flight than even the legendary C-46 and C-47, though her fixed undercarriage kept speeds below her American counterparts.

In 1942, GC-2s performed one of their most heroic campaigns in the dramatic evacuation of Hokkaido as Soviet forces invaded northern Japan.

In 1942, GC-2s of Japanese, British, and Gumbasian forces were there again as the Allied expeditionary force liberated Hokkaido, driving the Soviets back to the Kuril Islands.

During the liberation of northern Japan, GC-2s were even used by American forces for a time.

GC-2s were also a critical lifeline to the Free Chinese forces in Northern China as they fought to cut the link between Peking and Moscow. And when the communist government fell in 1945, GC-2s were critical to re-opening communications across China.

By the end of the war, newer designs for cargo transports were filling tarmacs, awaiting conversion to airliners and the generation of the GC-2 was becoming fast forgotten. Almost unnoticed, the GC-2 moved into the role of cargo transport, becoming especially prevalent in Australia, Mexico and South America.

Today, less than a dozen GC-2s are known to be in flying condition across the world. Recently, the very first GC-2 was uncovered in a storage repository not far from Gumby's Air Force Base in the Munsana Desert.

Transported back to Hapumaa, it is now being restored by Goodclay craftsmen into flying condition to become the oldest flying Gumbasian airliner.

(Never gonna have to BUY bedtime stories for the kids)
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:20 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,187 Posts
Barrett,

You're a madman! Especially getting another Porter in the air less than 24 hours after the demise of the last one!

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:58 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Barrett,

You're a madman! Especially getting another Porter in the air less than 24 hours after the demise of the last one!

Pat
You aint seen nothin yet. Mr. Toad has a new mania. A 66-inch warbird that I'm gonna try to build light like the Turbo Porter and have her ready to fly in a few nights. Gonna use the stuff from the Hawker Hurricane that WAS going to to in the new P-40.

Let's just say that I have found a famous warbird that NO ONE around here has modeled.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:28 AM
Stay Thirsty My Friends
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2005
2,316 Posts
F-82 Twin Mustang?
swarick is online now Find More Posts by swarick
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:31 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarick View Post
F-82 Twin Mustang?
I'll tell ya what- I'll try to have it out this weekend.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:14 AM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined May 2004
5,081 Posts
P-36 Hawk?
TBolt is offline Find More Posts by TBolt
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:50 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,838 Posts
I'll put it this way- you guys wouldn't expect me to build one of these.

Not sure what's possessing me to build one myself.

Also- I can say with reasonable confidence that she WILL be maidened this Saturday at the AMA.

Victor- I think you wanna play hookie and come out & watch.