Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 17, 2011, 01:04 PM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Good to hear some nice things about the MX2 - Personally I feel like some of the guys who bought this were expecting a half-price Carbon-Z; easy to be disappointed with this if that's the case. This isn't a Z and hopefully it won't claim to be - It flies well if you pay attention and put some degree of thought into the setup. The components aren't junk and it flies pretty well once you figure it out.

The QC has definitely been questionable (Mine also arrived without the motor hooked up - I think several others have shared the fun of pulling the cowl) but there are tradeoffs to pricing at this level and you have to be cognizant of those when ordering. I don't recommend anybody buy from BH unless you are comfortable modifying the minor bugs that most of their stock seems to arrive with.

If you expected a large, durable bargain performer that flies well in PNP form for under 2 bills shipped, I assure you that you can do far worse than the MX2.
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2011, 01:39 PM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswalt View Post
Good to hear some nice things about the MX2 - Personally I feel like some of the guys who bought this were expecting a half-price Carbon-Z; easy to be disappointed with this if that's the case. This isn't a Z and hopefully it won't claim to be - It flies well if you pay attention and put some degree of thought into the setup. The components aren't junk and it flies pretty well once you figure it out.

The QC has definitely been questionable (Mine also arrived without the motor hooked up - I think several others have shared the fun of pulling the cowl) but there are tradeoffs to pricing at this level and you have to be cognizant of those when ordering. I don't recommend anybody buy from BH unless you are comfortable modifying the minor bugs that most of their stock seems to arrive with.

If you expected a large, durable bargain performer that flies well in PNP form for under 2 bills shipped, I assure you that you can do far worse than the MX2.
I couldn't agree more with the statement above. I myself just started flying in March, but I seem to have picked it up pretty quick. I think there are a lot of people on these forums with much more experience that are setting their expectations too high and like poking fun at the cheap stuff. Either that, or it's inexperienced people not setting it up properly and blaming the plane for their ignorance. I will do my best to give more of a detailed flight review when I can, but as far as the maiden flight goes, it seems like a steal at this price for what you get.
Motojunk is offline Find More Posts by Motojunk
Old May 17, 2011, 05:40 PM
Joined Jul 2007
79 Posts
Motojunk, How far from the leading edge is your GC, 100mm as recommended in the instruction manual ?
Which lipo are you flying with ?
Last question... can you give me the travel (up & down) for aileron and elevator, and if you fly with expo or linear, as your MX2 seems to fly very well it may help me to have a first flight that I hope not too hot
Spouny is offline Find More Posts by Spouny
Old May 18, 2011, 03:03 AM
Joined May 2011
75 Posts
Just to update, she flew quite nicely last night (in the rain and drizzle!) Once we got down to the field and set up, it was pretty obvious that with her size and weight, a glide test wasn't really a practical option, si I went for the fast taxi / hop and glide, which went OK.

So for the next run, I decided she was going up. Apart from too much throw on the elevator to start with, she flew beautifully; a completely different beast from before. The only problem is ground handling. The grass was wet, long and with cut grass lying on it and the spats quickly got blocked up and the wheels jammed, causing her to nose over; as recommended, I may simply remove the spats....or at least open them up a bit. As it was, I took them off last night (they been glued back a couple of times already...lol).

So, much more impressed than I was last week....but remember, I have spent a bit on her to get her there. A new Hacker 30 motor, two new servos and a new prop and spinner. The Hacker 30 and an 11 x 7 prop get off the ground at just under one third stick.....bags of power to spare. Looking forward to some decent weather now!
Luke Warmwater is offline Find More Posts by Luke Warmwater
Old May 18, 2011, 03:10 AM
Joined May 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswalt View Post
The components aren't junk
I agree with everything you said, apart from this. I would highly question the quality of the servos. Both of the fuselage servos (rudder and elevator) stripped....one of them on the bench! Elevator is the one thing you REALLY can't have as "iffy".

I mentioned in my previous post that I had changed a lot to get it flying....I should be fair and point out that a lot of that was due to crash damage, not because it needed upgrading....(although my flying buddy is adamant that the first big smash was down to elevator servo failure....and when the rudder failed on the bench, I must admit it made me wonder...)

I should add that I bought in the UK under the Starmax name, via Nitrotek....so the servos may not be the same!
Last edited by Luke Warmwater; May 18, 2011 at 04:12 AM.
Old May 18, 2011, 05:39 PM
Joined May 2011
75 Posts
Anybody located any spares for these yet?
I could do with new tail wheel (I weakened it whilst installing it) and my cowl has taken a battering....
Old May 19, 2011, 10:52 AM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spouny View Post
Motojunk, How far from the leading edge is your GC, 100mm as recommended in the instruction manual ?
Which lipo are you flying with ?
Last question... can you give me the travel (up & down) for aileron and elevator, and if you fly with expo or linear, as your MX2 seems to fly very well it may help me to have a first flight that I hope not too hot
Yeah, I'm using the recommended CG, 100mm from the leading edge, right behind the small star on the fuselage. I'm using a 3000mah Turnigy 40-50c 4S placed in the front compartment. The canopy wedges it in there pretty good.

I flew it a few more times on Tuesday & this thing is a lot of fun, although I'm a little worried about the wings not holding up to heavy abuse. The spar only goes about halfway through, and right after it ends is where the servo cutout is, creating a weak spot. One issue that has become a problem is the landing gear. The wheels sit almost right on the CG, so it wants to nose-over with any less-than-perfect landing. As a result, the wheel-pants catch & the plane noses into the ground with force, bending the landing gear. I have since removed the wheel pants and bent the gear so the axle sits a little forward of the wing's leading edge, making the plane want to settle back onto the tail much easier. With that and the wheel pants gone the plane should be much more forgiving to land.

The plane has a lot of power. It could use more(naturally ) but I'm impressed, especially at this price point. It takes off extremely quick and it's definitely got enough power to hover. It doesn't have a whole lot of punch to it so you gotta be careful, but it's definitely enough to hover and do high alpha, or get the plane to speed in a hurry. With a fully charged battery and stock prop, it was pulling a consistent 900-950 watts at about 62amps.

I was able to take the warp out of my wing with a heat gun yesterday, but unfortunately shortly after takeoff, my battery got ejected so I didn't really get to see how well it would do. Luckily the plane likes to float and it crashed down in some thick brush. Dead stick from about 60ft and the only visible damage was a broken prop and spinner. My battery is still lost in the brush somewhere though It was a stupid mistake, but I'll be adding a bit of velcro to secure the battery and canopy better. I did notice later that the wings seem to have come out a little & I think the part you screw the wings into has been torn from the foam, just not enough to completely let loose. I'll inspect/repair that tonight, but you guys should probably check and make sure it's solid before you fly.

I'll update more once I spend more time with it. Not sure if I'll get to fly tonight, but hopefully soon. I still need to find a prop for it, haha
Motojunk is offline Find More Posts by Motojunk
Old May 19, 2011, 03:34 PM
Joined May 2011
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Warmwater View Post
Anybody located any spares for these yet?
I could do with new tail wheel (I weakened it whilst installing it) and my cowl has taken a battering....
This ^

I got this plane about a 1-1.5 months ago. I was/am a noob at flying and this being someone's first plane is a no no lol. Anyways, my first crash i broke the prop. I went to local hobby shop and got one, a 2 blade, tho it wasn't designed for it, it locked on quite nicely and works good now. However my second time time out which I had some more practice with not so crazy planes went well, but on the landing it got a bit harry and ya, anyways, broke the elevator.

Now I know I can repair these's parts with glue and such but what happens when i break something i really need a part for?

Originally I ordered the mx2 3d (not the giant) ready to fly. When the box came it was the giant one RTF. I should have sent it back but figured I got a good deal and said w/e. It says full parts list available in the description but apparently that is not true. I emailed them, live chat, etc. There customer service is far from the best.

Anyways, suggestion? Sorry for the wall of text.
SpudZooka is offline Find More Posts by SpudZooka
Old May 19, 2011, 07:36 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,121 Posts
The more you mess with these foamies, the better you get at repair work. I shelved a few planes that were'nt too hard to fix once I had a lot more experience in crash repair. You can get flat depron to at most hobby stores to make elevators and airlerons and such. You can always glue stuff back together and reinforce with carbon fiber flat bar and tubing, packing tape, bamboo skewers to make things even better than original in many cases. If you're like me, things like cowlings, covers and cockpits are optional, especially if spares aren't available. LOL This website is a huge help also.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old May 20, 2011, 02:54 AM
Joined Jul 2007
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunk View Post
It takes off extremely quick and it's definitely got enough power to hover. It doesn't have a whole lot of punch to it so you gotta be careful, but it's definitely enough to hover and do high alpha, or get the plane to speed in a hurry. With a fully charged battery and stock prop, it was pulling a consistent 900-950 watts at about 62amps.
Could you have a look Page 4 post #51 and confirm if you have the same motor + ESC as me ? Luke Warmwater has the same also...
Because according to my power/thrust tests, with the stock prop the power is about 700W, and our ESC is sold for 45A max
But we don't know if the MX2 sold in the USA have the same motorization set...

Thanks for your flight review and for the craftiness, specially the landing gear one
Spouny is offline Find More Posts by Spouny
Old May 20, 2011, 03:22 AM
Joined May 2011
75 Posts
Spouny, I now have a different power set as my prop and motor got destroyed in a crash on my maiden.

My ESC is the original one (it was damaged, but just needed a new capacitor), but I now have a Hacker 30 motor with a relatively small (11 x7) prop. The Hacker motors are capable of high torque / low amperage, so I know I can put a much bigger prop on this quite comfortably from an "electrickery" point of view...not necessarily the pilots point of view though!

I think that apart from some very minor trim issues, the limitations of flying this plane well now lie with the pilot!
Old May 20, 2011, 03:26 AM
Joined May 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krexken View Post
You can always glue stuff back together and reinforce with carbon fiber flat bar and tubing, packing tape, bamboo skewers to make things even better than original in many cases. If you're like me, things like cowlings, covers and cockpits are optional, especially if spares aren't available. LOL This website is a huge help also.
+1 to that!

Epoxy and cocktail sticks are my friends on the foamies. I dread crashing my balsa / ply Spit as I think I'd just end up with matchsticks!

But now that I have patched the MX2 and got her flying nicely, I would like to return her to something like her original glory, so a new cowl would be nice. I can also see my epoxied tail wheel being a frequent repair, with an ever increasing blob of epoxy....so a new one of those would be good too.
Old May 20, 2011, 03:57 AM
Joined May 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunk View Post
Yeah, I'm using the recommended CG, 100mm from the leading edge, right behind the small star on the fuselage. I'm using a 3000mah Turnigy 40-50c 4S placed in the front compartment. The canopy wedges it in there pretty good.

I flew it a few more times on Tuesday & this thing is a lot of fun, although I'm a little worried about the wings not holding up to heavy abuse. The spar only goes about halfway through, and right after it ends is where the servo cutout is, creating a weak spot. One issue that has become a problem is the landing gear. The wheels sit almost right on the CG, so it wants to nose-over with any less-than-perfect landing. As a result, the wheel-pants catch & the plane noses into the ground with force, bending the landing gear. I have since removed the wheel pants and bent the gear so the axle sits a little forward of the wing's leading edge, making the plane want to settle back onto the tail much easier. With that and the wheel pants gone the plane should be much more forgiving to land.
I tried a similar battery position, but I use a 2200mAh battery which may be a bit lighter. Putting the wing spar in alone shows that it is defintiely tail heavy; to get it to balance on the wing spar I need the battery as far forward as it will go. That said, she did fly alright like this, although she varied between flying slightly nose down and slightly nose up. I have yet to fly her with the battery further forward, I'll let you know how it goes. I will be going for bigger capacity, heavier batteries...

I also had a problem with her nosing over, especially after I reduced throws on the elevator. That meant she didn't have as much "back stick" to taxi with and nosed over easily at the start of a take off run. The spats or pants had blocked up with grass as well, which stopped the wheels spinning freely. I have opened these up a little with a craft knife and like you, pulled the landing gear forward. I am thinking of using dual rates on the elevator, just to get her going as well, meaning I'll have to flick the switch back just before she gets airborne....fiddly but not too much I think...

I found the magnets holding the canopy on were a bit weak for my liking. I have added a second set of magnets now: I just cut a dent out, epoxied them in and put tape over them. I find it locks up nice and firm now and I can almost lift the weight of the plane by the canopy.
Old May 20, 2011, 06:09 AM
Joined Feb 2009
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spouny View Post
Could you have a look Page 4 post #51 and confirm if you have the same motor + ESC as me ? Luke Warmwater has the same also...
Because according to my power/thrust tests, with the stock prop the power is about 700W, and our ESC is sold for 45A max
But we don't know if the MX2 sold in the USA have the same motorization set...

Thanks for your flight review and for the craftiness, specially the landing gear one
For the records, the one now shipped from HobbyKing is a 70A ESC..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17334

Quote:
Specs:
Wingspan: 1400mm
Length: 1290mm
Flying Weight: 1900g
Wing Loading: 50g/dm2
Motor: 36-48 Brushless Outrunner
ESC: 70A w/BEC
Servo: 2 x 9g, 2 x 17g
4 Channel
Abib is offline Find More Posts by Abib
Old May 20, 2011, 11:18 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
It looks to me, that if it really weighs 1900g or 4lbs, then you need a motor that puts out about 800 watts to get good 3D performance, or at least enough to pull out of a hover. So I think that if we swap out the stock motor for this one, it should work fairly well, but not knowing the weight of the stock motor it's hard to tell. But this might be a cheap fix.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7393
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Last edited by rmgmag; May 20, 2011 at 02:52 PM.