Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 14, 2010, 01:00 PM
United States, NY, Endicott
Joined Jun 2006
162 Posts
Discussion
Source for Carbon Fiber, Aluminum, and Cardboard Tubes

Guys,

I'm going to build a vintage kit of an aerobatic biplane that was designed in 1973. The wing span is 55". As with many larger wings of this time period, they are built in two halves, and then glued together in the center. Then you have to add a 4" wide strip of fiberglass or polyester tape over the center section to give it adequate strength.

I don't want to use the tape. I'd like to use carbon fiber or aluminum tubes in the wings as spars, kind of like the newer ARFs do that have larger wings. This makes for a neater covering job without the bulge of the tape on the center section. It also would allow me to take the two wing halves apart for easier transportation.

Does anyone know of a source for the carbon fiber and aluminum tubes, and also the cardboard or fiber tubes that are permanently installed in the wing panels to receive the spar tubes?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
Warthog_Fan is offline Find More Posts by Warthog_Fan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2010, 04:24 PM
Nashua, NH
Joined Nov 2008
184 Posts
Take a look at McMaster-Carr

I have used this place as a source for years.

www.McMaster-Carr.com

Another place for finding certain items is www.smallparts.com

They both stock lots of items that you just can't find at the local
hobby shop. The downside - They are Industrial supply houses.

The shortest length of tubing is usually 6 ft.
The tubing is shipped inside a large cardboard tube.
That can get expensive.
Brian76239 is offline Find More Posts by Brian76239