New Products Flash Sale

FPV Monocular Head Mount - An Eye in the Sky

Here is an interesting option from Banggood. Now you can fly LOS and FPV!

Splash

Cover all your bases!

With the FAA being vague about FPV and LOS (line of sight) flying I thought this was interesting way to stay absolutely legal and still fly FPV. It reminds me of the old movies that had men wearing monocles. This is like that but now you can have one eye in the cockpit of your aircraft.

I'm not sure how immersive the experience will be but it looks like a great way to be able to take off and land! Let's check it out...

Description

• Cost: $79.99
  • Dimensions: 15.2*11.3*9.2mm
  • Net Weight:<15g
  • Working temperature: -10 ~70℃
  • Storage temperature: -30 ~83℃

Specs
  • Virtual Size: 78 inches screen

• Resolution: VGA 640X480
  • Video Input: Simulation CVBS
  • Viewing Angle: 26
  • Operating Voltage: DC3.5V-5V
  • Operating Current: <120mA
  • Power consumption: <0.6w
  • Package Included
    • 1 x Monocular Display

• 2 x Ocular
  • 1 x Video Wire
  • 1 x Manual
  • Photos

Learn More

Go to Banggood to check this unit out.

Old Jan 25, 2016, 07:26 PM
    Find More Posts by nadt770
    AuggerIn! AMA L68621
    United States, NY, Stony Point
    Joined Apr 2001
    712 Posts
    I'm wondering...

I wonder if this is really practical. I'm trying to imagine one eye LOS and one FPV, seems confusing. Also, doesn't one's depth perception degrade with only one eye in use? Just wondering.

John
    nadt770 is offline Find More Posts by nadt770
    Old Jan 25, 2016, 07:41 PM
    Find More Posts by FlyBoy38L
    Failure is ALWAYS an option
    United States, PA, Quakertown
    Joined Mar 2008
    271 Posts
    In theory it is a good idea. I'd try it. Flying with an eye patch is what I would do first though before I purchase! haha That would be a good test with no depth perception like the monocle.

I bet with some practice (to get your brain used to two things at once) and maybe a modification or two, it could really be useful!
    FlyBoy38L is online now Find More Posts by FlyBoy38L
    Old Jan 25, 2016, 07:50 PM
    Find More Posts by 747Pilot
    It's a job...
    United States, PA, Warrington
    Joined May 2012
    1,442 Posts
    Paashawww. Peeps been flying LOS and FPV for years.
    747Pilot is online now Find More Posts by 747Pilot
    Old Jan 25, 2016, 08:23 PM
    Find More Posts by skytek
    Canada, ON
    Joined Aug 2013
    1,224 Posts
    I think this is a great idea, especially if you want an extremely small, portable display for spur of the moment FPV flights, say with a mini/micro quad. If you don't wear glasses you can still use this - just buy a $2 pair of reading glasses from the dollar store, pop one lens out and stick the display module to the other lens. You'll have your line of sight eye free to see and your FPV eye will see the little display.

For those wondering how to teach your brain to watch two things at once, that's not really necessary. I think the more useful point to this is that you can close your LOS eye and focus on the display and if you should need to take a line of sight look at your model or your surroundings you can open your eye and instantly see what's going on. Just like you can do if using a monitor for FPV rather than goggles, only this solution is much more discreet and portable.
    skytek is offline Find More Posts by skytek
    Old Jan 26, 2016, 01:40 AM
    Find More Posts by gbass01
    Gloucester, VA
    Joined Jun 2009
    312 Posts
    Depth perception requires binocular vision

They should have made this a flip-up
    gbass01 is online now Find More Posts by gbass01
    Old Jan 26, 2016, 05:33 AM
    Find More Posts by KCV6
    lurking in the HOLE :)
    Australia, SA, Edinburgh
    Joined Aug 2009
    6,109 Posts
    Real depth perception requires stereoscopic unaided vision. Having one eye aided versus 2 eyes aided doesn't really change depth perception. Various military personnel have been using NVG's on one eye with the other unaided for a long time. It's like many vision aids, your vision adapts fairly quickly.

This is definitely a use one eye open at any one time. I have done this using a remote monocular on Thermal weapon sights to look around corners with the weapon only. Not as good as fully immersed but I guess that also depends on the image quality.

Mark
    KCV6 is online now Find More Posts by KCV6
    Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:12 AM
    Canada, ON
    Joined Aug 2013
    1,224 Posts
    I don't understand the depth perception discussion here. Depth perception is much more accurate with both eyes looking at an object in space because you have stereo vision and the eyes are spaced apart enough to let your brain roughly calculate the difference between the two images and create an estimation of depth or distance. But a single eye still has the ability to perceive depth, just not very accurately by comparison.

With this device if one eye is looking into the FPV display and the other is looking at the model in the air, there is no stereo vision taking place. The only depth perception you would have will be generated by the one eye looking out at the model and as I said that will not be as accurate as having both eyes looking at the model.

If you use this glasses-mounted monitor you will not be looking at the model with one eye and enjoying your FPV flight with the other at the same time. You would have two totally different optical streams coming into your brain and your brain cannot comfortably concentrate and process both at the same time in a useful way. With this device you will be either looking at the screen or looking at the model in the air, not both together at the same time.

The night vision comparison earlier is not relevant because with a head mounted NV monocular both eyes are looking at the same objects, it's just that one is assisted with light amplification and the other is not. 3D depth perception is very possible with a night vision monocular (I own a unit) for this reason. With the FPV monitor it's a totally different situation because you are looking at two totally different images. It would be like using a night vision monocular with the unaided eye looking straight ahead and the monocular looking straight down, ie. zero stereo vision and the only depth perception you get is what you'd get with one eye closed.
    Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:42 AM
    Find More Posts by gentle ben
    semper mitis
    Paducah, Kentucky
    Joined Nov 2004
    1,151 Posts
    Using this device might give some feeling for what Apache helicopter pilots go through.
    gentle ben is offline Find More Posts by gentle ben
    Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:50 AM
    Find More Posts by russgilder
    United States, AL, Daphne
    Joined Oct 2015
    6 Posts
    Can we run them in a series together? Suction cupping them to a set of dirt bike goggles like the mods some folks do to their fats harks seems like a decent option for $160
    russgilder is offline Find More Posts by russgilder
    Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:58 AM
    Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
    Administrator
    United States, TN, Nashville
    Joined Mar 2002
    12,379 Posts
    If you could do that and have two cameras on two channels then you would have true 3D.
    Jim T. Graham is offline Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
    Administrator
    Old Jan 26, 2016, 01:04 PM
    Find More Posts by DanT
    United States, TX
    Joined Feb 2006
    2,250 Posts
    First ,,, the LCD in the lens Will be in Sun Light!
    So ,, it will burn the screen for sure ..
    Next it looks like it will only work for ? What Eye? Does it have a Mirror switch so you can pick what eye to use with it?
    I had the Sun just hit my FatShark V2 lens and it cost me $100.00 to fix.
    Fatshark will not warranty Sun Damage ..
    As for the FAA , if you close one eye then you are breaking there little Not yet Law..
    Oh, where is your spotter .. Don't want to get in trouble with the FAA ..?
    And for $80.00 just buy a cheap set fro hobby king..
    DanT
    DanT is offline Find More Posts by DanT
    Old Jan 26, 2016, 01:10 PM
    Find More Posts by dweano
    Joined May 2015
    49 Posts
    It says it is a 640x480 resolution, but likely it is only a 320x240 or 432x240 display from the discussion and similiar ones
    dweano is offline Find More Posts by dweano
    Old Jan 26, 2016, 04:06 PM
    Canada, ON
    Joined Aug 2013
    1,224 Posts
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanT View Post
    First ,,, the LCD in the lens Will be in Sun Light!
    So ,, it will burn the screen for sure ..
    Next it looks like it will only work for ? What Eye? Does it have a Mirror switch so you can pick what eye to use with it?
    I had the Sun just hit my FatShark V2 lens and it cost me $100.00 to fix.
    Fatshark will not warranty Sun Damage ..
    As for the FAA , if you close one eye then you are breaking there little Not yet Law..
    Oh, where is your spotter .. Don't want to get in trouble with the FAA ..?
    And for $80.00 just buy a cheap set fro hobby king..
    DanT
    How do you know sunlight will burn the screen for sure? Yes, Fatsharks burn up in Sunlight, but that's Fatsharks. As for this little glasses-mounted display, I have a similar display that clips onto the hotshoe of my camera. It's called an EFV (electronic viewfinder) and it definitely does not burn up in sunlight. In fact, the main reason people buy add-on EVFs for their cameras is so they can use their cameras more easily in bright sunlight as the camera's LCD is hard to see. Maybe if you point the lens directly at the sun for a while some damage might occur to the display, but that's not something any photographer is ever going to do. And it's not something any RC'er is likely to do with this device.

As for the mirror question, I think you are a little confused here about the very basics of sight. Why would you need to mirror the image depending on which eye you want it on? Try this: Look at your computer/phone screen with one eye open. Now close that eye and open the other. Is your screen mirrored or does it look just like it did with the first eye? I think you have your answer now.
    Last edited by skytek; Jan 26, 2016 at 04:13 PM.
    Old Jan 26, 2016, 04:14 PM
    Find More Posts by KCV6
    lurking in the HOLE :)
    Australia, SA, Edinburgh
    Joined Aug 2009
    6,109 Posts
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skytek View Post
    I don't understand the depth perception discussion here. Depth perception is much more accurate with both eyes looking at an object in space because you have stereo vision and the eyes are spaced apart enough to let your brain roughly calculate the difference between the two images and create an estimation of depth or distance. But a single eye still has the ability to perceive depth, just not very accurately by comparison.

With this device if one eye is looking into the FPV display and the other is looking at the model in the air, there is no stereo vision taking place. The only depth perception you would have will be generated by the one eye looking out at the model and as I said that will not be as accurate as having both eyes looking at the model.

If you use this glasses-mounted monitor you will not be looking at the model with one eye and enjoying your FPV flight with the other at the same time. You would have two totally different optical streams coming into your brain and your brain cannot comfortably concentrate and process both at the same time in a useful way. With this device you will be either looking at the screen or looking at the model in the air, not both together at the same time.

The night vision comparison earlier is not relevant because with a head mounted NV monocular both eyes are looking at the same objects, it's just that one is assisted with light amplification and the other is not. 3D depth perception is very possible with a night vision monocular (I own a unit) for this reason. With the FPV monitor it's a totally different situation because you are looking at two totally different images. It would be like using a night vision monocular with the unaided eye looking straight ahead and the monocular looking straight down, ie. zero stereo vision and the only depth perception you get is what you'd get with one eye closed.
    I think I said it in less words

Mark
    KCV6 is online now Find More Posts by KCV6