Old Sep 21, 2015, 04:51 PM
Find More Posts by Bill Mixon
Georgia
Joined Mar 2002
1,864 Posts
Discussion
Multi firmware

Hi Guys

I've had hope that a multirotor firmware update would be released by now. Its been an issue for over a year now and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
For sport flying/acro applications the castle multi firmware is not up to the task. I've tried all sorts of settings both in the ESC and various flight controllers. Even a best case scenario is far from the control you get from a SimonK ESC. The SimonK is not without issues but in most applications they fly great.
I don't know if the cost to Castle to get the SimonK firmware is an issue, if its a hardware compatibility issue, or what the real issue is with getting this resolved.
For my purposes I can't keep holding on to products that don't fly like they should. I've got a dozen or so ESC's ranging from 35-50 amp that I would like to be using in multirotor applications.
Love the ESC's and the BEC but without a SimonK type firmware these ESC's are just not usable in multirotor applications.

I'm going to ask a very simple question and I would like some direct answers on it before I make a decision to sell off or re-purpose my ESC's

Does Castle intend to offer a Simonk type firmware at any point?
If so, when?
Bill Mixon is offline Find More Posts by Bill Mixon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2015, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by teryn1
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,107 Posts
no, they will only offer their own firmware
teryn1 is offline Find More Posts by teryn1
Old Sep 22, 2015, 07:00 AM
Find More Posts by RC Man
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
21,026 Posts
Quote:
Does Castle intend to offer a Simonk type firmware at any point?
Yes!

The ESC's in the quad packs have different hardware and different firmware than the standard ESC's. I wanted to replace a damaged multirotor ESC with a standard Talon 20 ESC but the same multirotor firmware won't load. You have to buy the special multirotor ESC's if you want good performance. The quadpack ESC's are just as good as anything on the market.

Castle has quadpacks of 25 and 35 amps. If you need more you must purchase the special multirotor ESC and not a standard ESC. Not sure what the hardware difference is but a standard ESC with CC multirotor option selected is not compatible with a multirotor ESC if the same size.

Maybe someone from CC could tell us more about the differences.
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/quadpack.html

Tower Hobbies has discount prices on quadpacks.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Sep 22, 2015, 07:22 AM
Georgia
Joined Mar 2002
1,864 Posts
No I have both quad pack and regular ESC's.
They work exactly the same. You can load multirotor firmware on any ESC.
Quad pack ESC's still fly like dogs
Old Sep 23, 2015, 04:41 AM
Find More Posts by RC Man
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
21,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mixon View Post
No I have both quad pack and regular ESC's.
They work exactly the same. You can load multirotor firmware on any ESC.
Quad pack ESC's still fly like dogs

I will have to contact Tech Support. I tried to install multirotor on a standard Talon 25 and it would not work with the other three being multirotor. The ESC would not spin up when the others did. Has anyone else had the same problem?

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Sep 23, 2015, 08:12 AM
Georgia
Joined Mar 2002
1,864 Posts
Not sure about the talon.
In general it's not a good idea to mix ESC's
FWIW I have used an older Phoenix 25 running multirotor firmware and two completely different SimonK ESC's on a tricopter.
It worked but not very well.
Old Dec 09, 2015, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by Clintstone
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I will have to contact Tech Support. I tried to install multirotor on a standard Talon 25 and it would not work with the other three being multirotor. The ESC would not spin up when the others did. Has anyone else had the same problem?

The hardware is different and the endpoints must also be slightly different. I recommend trying to keep the ESCs the same when using them together on a quad as it is important to have the endpoints the same.
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone