Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,861 Posts
Discussion
My New Insulator!

This plane was inspired by this thread: Pushing the limits of FFF:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355211

I built one while the topic was still hot, and loved it so much that I promised myself I'd build another. So here goes.

Made some significant changes from my first attempt:
- Used 3mm depron for the wing, instead of 6mm FFF.
- Folded an airfoil shape into the wing to help at low speed.
- Used lighter weight HS-55 servos, mounted in the wings instead of the fuse.
- 6mm depron elevons (instead of balsa).
- Built a solid EPP nose, much more durable than FFF up front!
- 2S Li-po instead of 3S.
- Rewound a CD-ROM motor for 10 turns delta to match Li-po.
- 4.5X4.1 APC E-prop instead of a 5X2.5 no-name for more speed.
- Built in a little bit of dihedral for stability.

The weight of this one is only 178 grams (6oz) , down from 260 grams on the first one.

Needless to say, it is an absolute bullet - probably seems faster than it is becuase of it's small size. The light weight allows to to float quite nicely when gliding - very easy to land. The airfoil allows for nice, smooth high-alpha flight at low speed, but it still has that trademark unlimited vertical and blinding roll-rate!

Had a ball blasting it around my local park today. This is the only plane that I've built a 2nd one of - and I'm glad that I did. I think that the biggest improvement was to replace the FFF nose with an EPP one. The battery is in a cavity on the nose-piece, which means that it will be protected in a crash, and that the heaviest item in the plane is not going to plough through the nose on impact.

All you Insulator vetrans out there - give this one another go, apply what you've learned since and have fun again!

Cheers

Kahn
Kahnx is offline Find More Posts by Kahnx
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2006, 07:58 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Looks good, Kahn.

You are right. The insulator was/is a great design, and with the advancements in power and materials we've had the past year, aught to be even better!

I wonder what happened to the Sea-Plane version someone was working on? I was just thinking the shoulder wing makes a little more sense to me for a fwew reasons, and might be cool, at that.

It'd be sweet to have hot-wired EPP wings and fuse as a kit, huh?
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jun 07, 2006, 11:10 AM
Petoskey, Michigan 49770
Joined Aug 2001
66 Posts
How does this compare to the Multiplex MicroJet? For someone that did not want to start from scratch?
MikeBanyai is offline Find More Posts by MikeBanyai
Old Jul 04, 2014, 06:13 PM
Spoon
United States, KY, Princeton
Joined Jun 2014
11 Posts
Thats it, I want to build this… NOW! getting my gear seat to build, buying parts asap.
Spoonman606 is offline Find More Posts by Spoonman606